How to use Irelia?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Shiroikiri

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-07-2011

So I'm a person that really enjoys playing AP heroes, whether it be nuker, or support, and I'm not too bad at ranged AD, and while not the best at tanks, I'm Horrible at melee DPS, and so I decided to look at the ones available to better learn how to use them, particularly tanky dps. I've decided on Irelia and so would like tips and tricks on how to play her.

P.S. please don't just post "Use this other champ, they're better" sort of stuff ;p I know currently Irelia's not the best (According to some people), I like a challenge ;p rofl But yeah, Any tips/tricks/build greatly appreciated. ^^

Ayestes

09-07-2011

Use her as a Bruiser. Rush Trinity, then defensive items. She does a lot of damage once she has a Trinity Force which will draw all the threat from the enemy team in which case you just absorb all the damage allowing your team to pour their damage into the enemy team while you occupy them.

How you use her at this point for team fights depends on whether you have a dedicated Tank such as Amumu. If you don't, it's not a bad idea if you build extremely tanky, initiate to take all the ultimates, and flash out assuming your team is ready to pounce with you. If you do have the Tank as he dashes in you be the fray and STICK to their AD Carry like glue making sure the only thing he's thinking about is "Oh my god get em' off get em' off".

If your team has 2-3 Tanky DPS / Tanks, then by all means go Trinity, Ghostblade, Wit's End, etc. because she turns into a very powerful Carry in her own right. It honestly depends on your teams makeup, but in general Irelia can cover the Tank, Bruiser, and Carry roles very well depending on how she builds.

Also, Irelia an upper tier pick don't let anyone tell you she isn't.

OHRye

09-07-2011

I usually build here more tanky, less dpsy.

End game I try have:

1. Frozen Mallet
2. Warmongs
3. Atmas
4. Guardian Angel
5. Boots of swiftness (yes, that's swiftness)

Then the last 1 usually depends on how the game is going. If I'm just wrecking fool, then I'll get madreds or TF. Or another defensive item.

deMorphine

09-07-2011

Use another champion noob.

Hyosun

09-07-2011

Irelia needs to farm to truly shine.
To stay in lane, max hiten style for the hp regen.
Last hitting under tower should be piece of cake with Q.
Rush sheen.

The reason Irelia can be tanky while also put out great dps:
Hiten style does true damage.
Each blade from your ult will proc trinity force.
Your ult heals you in mid-fight.

Common combo: Q,E, hit, W, hit, r, r hit, r hit, r hit r hit.

to be successful at Irelia you must know how to farm and commit to farming. She works like Nasus in a sense. Ignorable before the 20 minute mark, monster after it.

T3cK

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-07-2011

Irelia is one of my favorite and most-played champs though I admit I take a slightly more.....eccentric?....approach to playing her.

I usually start with a Doran's shield and head top. With a decent lane partner you can rack up 1 or 2 kills early on but if not focus on farming. Chain your bladesurge by setting up smartcasting keys in the key bindings menu and then just go from minion-to-minion hitting your key of choice. Your first recall you should be able to buy Merc treads if not a longsword as well. Build trinity after that getting phage, sheen and skipping over zeal into the finished item. Next you want a tank item to counter the HIGHEST damage output of the other team. I almost always end up grabbing a Banshee's Veil but against mainly physical DPS teams you'll want a Randuin's or thornmail. If the game isn't over by this point (you usually win or force a surrender) grab a Hextech gunblade, another tanky item and finish it out with Madred's. Masteries you want standard 9-0-21 and for runes I use ArPen marks, flat armor seals and MR/lv glyphs.

Hope this helps!

T3cK

Shiroikiri

09-07-2011

Wow, these help a lot guys, thanks. ^^ I'll have to try a lot of these out!

One of the questions I had is, what are the pros and cons of using mercury treads, because, yes they help with her passive, but what about other boots?(like how OHRye mentioned boots of swiftness)

MiC Røsøft

09-07-2011

Personally for Merc Treads, CC is practically myth, I don't really feel the need for Boots of Swiftness unless you can get your Tenacity else where (Philo -> Miracle for example). However, the movement speed from Trinity Force, Force of Nature if you build it, and even movement speed quints/masteries makes Merc Treads a better choice to me.

Hellfire014

09-07-2011

Rush Triforce, stack Tiamats, and use Q on the minions next to enemy champ. S/He will melt.

HesusChristo

09-07-2011

Personally i follow a maxed out gold build early game. I get a regrowth pendant(+ health pot) and head to a solo lane, my friend jungles a lot. I last hit minions, and play defensively. I can usually pick up one kill without my friend's ganks. I don't go back until i hit about 1550 and i upgrade my pendant into philo, and get merc. treads. At about mid game i tend to have a Rhurelya's Reverie, a Randuin's Omen, and i start building to what my team needs, FoN, warmog and atmas' if they need a tank, or push towards trinity force, infinity edge and ghostblade, although it all depends on what my team needs.
With this build i've gone 10-0-12 and 5-0-5, fun stuff .
Ps: just a side note, your "e" stun is reallllyyy usefull when running away from a champ, it's helped me survive a lot.
Enjoy