[Guide] Gragas Keg roller of BOOM!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Greenthumbz

02-06-2010

OK short intro, 90% of people think Gragas is useless, under powered, or just plain fat. While he is a little wide around the midsection, it doesn't stop him from sending a keg full of purple liquid whoop ass where the sun don't shine. Ok so people that play Gragas have been either going AP or Tank. Don't play Gragas as a Tank... seriously wtf is the matter with you. Anyway this is an AP/Health build which will net you kills and keep you alive to chug another day.
First off you need to get 21 points into utility n 9 points into offense(the AP cool down n magic pen ones drr..) including improved flash and teleport, I have also had some success trading out teleport for either Ghost walk or Exhaust if your the more aggressive type.

Runes:
Reds- Magic penetration
yellows- health per level
blues- ability cool down per level
Quints- Health

Game Start:
you want to start out with barrel roll. Ppl have said this skill is underpowered but with maxed ability cool down reduction, and some AP it can pack a serious punch.
Items to start with are Doran's Ring and a health pot. Doran's is much more effective than a mana crystal early game, and the 400 gold wont slow down your ROA very much. While in your lane spam those barrels to keep lane control and harass/ make money off creeps. As you level you want to get drunken rage spell 2nd to refill your mana, then the charge, keep the charge at level one, you are going for max barrels here. Use your charge n flash to get out of harms way, or to finish someone off. Max Barrel roll ASAP, with drunken rage maxing second, ultimate every chance u get, and lastly maxing the charge.

Items in order:
Doran's ring + health pot. The mana regen lets u dominate ur lane early on more effectively, (the HP n AP help as well)
Catalyst the protector
Upgrade to Rod of the Ages
boot (upgrade when u see fit, I like swiftness but whatever works for you)
Next get Rylais scepter,get smaller items in order u see fit to build it
Now usually the game is almost over, the following items are your next best bet's
Abyssal Scepter/Lichbane/Frozen Heart/another ROA
and if games not over cap it off with a Zhonya's

Dorans/ROA/BOOT/Rylais are the required items for an effective gragas in that order, however pick the last 2(or three items if your games long enough to sell doran's) depending on your play style and how the games going.

Item variation that i have success with is usually only a Soulstealer if the game if you are really dominating early, or a banshee veil if your getting worked.

You have a LOT of extra HP with these items which combined with your ultimate, charge, n flash make you next to impossible to kill.

PLAYSTYLE:
Gragas is the ultimate pain in your enemies ass. You can easily dominate the lane against almost any hero combination with a constant wave of well placed keg rolls. The key is to let them know this is your lane and they better get back and hug there tower asap if they want to survive. EVERYONE underestimates gragas, if u can wear them down with a few rolls, and wait for them to make a mistake like charging u, u can slam n drop another keg right on top, theyll probably start running back only to b slammed n keg rolled again. After lvl 6 try to get the golem buff as much as possible, you can start roving gank squads with your ulti up asap. hide in the grasss, roll a barrel where they will mostly run backwards into, body slam them, then drop the ulti keg just in front of there retreat to knock them back towards u. Fatboy can do some serious enemy rundowns with charge n barrel roll to finish them off. Pretty simple practice makes perfect.
After a gank, use every opportunity to teleport and hold all of your towers as this is your secondary roll as the ultimate lane/tower defender. You can easily stop a 5 man tower push by yourself. Just harass the **** out of them with barrel roll as they are approaching your lane. Then do the same while at the tower, when they do the 5 man charge towards you throw in your ulti keg. The dmg n scatter will freak them out and theyll run off to find an easier target. If they stay u can always flash n charge away. Or morelikely charge the weakest one into your tower n shove a keg down his throat. This is your main roll as Gragas. Disrupting the enemy push. Your ultimate can literally take the whole team to half health instantly with this ap build, and it really ****s with there heads. They start running in every direciton. Even better is to roll a keg at them, throw the ulti keg, and explode the first one at the same time the ulti lands. BOOM shaka laka laka BOOM. Oh and dont forget to chug your keg every time its up drr.
Also side note, I play a lot better when im chugging some beers along with gragas. Let's you get into the character a lil more and a good buzz is something Gragas can appreciate. Aside from defending and push scattering Gragas is very good at running down heros. Barrel roll Charge explode, Repeat, they cant get away and will be dead soon. Ghostwalk is exceptional for this, a key flash or exhaust as well. Dont be afraid to throw ur ulti in front of them to knock em back towards u either. I have been averaging something around 8 kills 3 deaths 15 assists with gragas. Even if your 2 n 1 with all the lane defense your providing and assists your getting youve done your team proud. After all the different builds i've tried this one is the most effective for THE TEAM. Getting more aggressive ap items may get u a few more kills possibly, but you wont have the survivability, the key is to ware them down with a constant barrage of barrels until the time is right to charge in. Bide your time roll those barrels and let the beer cans pile up on the floor around you.

Anyway let me know what u guys think. Chug a beer n throw a keg for me!

Jadenis5

02-06-2010

WOw I love this build! I was doing terrible the few times I tried Gragas, but after I read this guide i had to try him out again. I went 9/ 3 my first positive gragas game lol! Ap and health seem to be all he needs, great job

Okarin Kurisu

02-06-2010

awsome been looking for an ap style gragas guide..will have to try this

SmecssRaege

02-07-2010

My AP build:

Runes: (dont have these, but these are what i would use)
Red: Magic pen
Yellow/Blue: scaling MP/5 (clarity)
Quint: Health @ 1

Build
1:Barrel
2: Drunken Rage
3:Barrel
4:Body Slam

Ulti > Barrel > Body Slam > Drunken Rage after that

Items:

Starting:
Option (A) : Faerie Charm + Rejuv Bead
Option (B) : Meki's Pendant

If (A): (what i currently use cuz i dont have magic penetration runes)
Haunting Guise
Sorc Shoes
Mejai's
Nashor's
Zhonya's

If (B)
Sorc Shoes
Fiendish Codex
Mejai's
Fiendex > Nashor's
Zhonya's

and thats my max CD redux/high AP gragas, does a good damage output, ulti on 36 second cooldown for 900ish damage...fun stuff =P

Jimmyjames

02-07-2010

yeah looks good, but honestly as far as a lane push disrupter how is he better then heimer? Though i think this strat is about the only decent build i can think of.
IMO Gargas needs to be able to blow up his barrel any place on the path not just at its final destination..
OR the CD for the barrel starts on use not blow up, that way you could make something like a timed mine field

Talking Socks

02-07-2010

What exactly makes Gragas better suited for this than any other caster in the game? Heimer's grenade is comparable to Barrel Roll except it deals more damage, blinds, stuns and has less cooldown.

Greenthumbz

02-08-2010

The differences are many, the higher hp combined with drunken rage dmg reduction, higher rate of kegs rolled, and the charge into and out of battle are all factors. Gragas is not for everybody, but i consistently go 9/3/15 with him. (average) I just really like playing the guy, as far as my guide saying hes the best defender in the game ive been playing him much more aggressively lately and netting more kills almost becoming the carry for my team more than half the time. I dunno what it is about this hero i just love him.

FoxHound

02-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking Socks View Post
What exactly makes Gragas better suited for this than any other caster in the game? Heimer's grenade is comparable to Barrel Roll except it deals more damage, blinds, stuns and has less cooldown.
Barrel roll has little more range and there are ways to use to to create space control enemy movements and so forth since u can tell it when to explode.

Greenthumbz

02-15-2010

Last 2 games went 19 / 7 and 9 / 0
Its funny becuz when i solo queue every moans when i show up with gragas, then at the end of the game there astonished that not only is he good but he can dominate the game. Anywyas lets see some more pro gragas players out there, if anyone has had a more effective change to my build let me know thx

Orya

02-16-2010

I'm rather new to the game, but wouldn't CDR make sense? So you don't have to stand around doing nothing between the barrel tosses?

Maybe a frozen heart or glacial shroud? 20% to 25% CDR and some mana doesn't sound that bad. Some armor and reduced attack speed of opponents sounds ok too.

Or a nashors tooth? For CDR, mana reg, and ability power. I guess the IAS are a bit wasted but might help a lot when taking down towers.