How this game has changed

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PetalDance

01-06-2011

Over the course of the last year and a while, I have consistently played league of legends, accumulating approximately 2000 games played. I'd like to think that I have seen a lot, how it's grown, faults and fixes, changes as a whole.

The good;

-Server Stability-From when I began, this grew in leaps and bounds. At first, the game could have periods of game time disruption, random crashes and huge errors spanning over the course of days; now this rarely ever happens. Scheduled maintenance is done and after the usual post-patch instability it evens out fairly quickly.

-Growth-Player base has expanded soooooo much since my beginning, a new map; many new champions(Touching on that later) and ranked matches

-The "Op" Champions-Twisted Fate was a huge problem when I started playing and since then the level of op that I have seen champions experience has significantly decreased. Yes, there have been some ridiculously powerful champions, ezreal, udyr, sona (In their peaks), but generally, none have even dominated at such a level as the old tf; riot is getting better at balancing (be it simple number tweaks)

-Support-More employees, more forum response, quicker email response; good, needs work still; but still good.

The Bad;

-New players discouraged-New players have a ton of things to learn before they can even come close to being anywhere near ready to play the game, getting to level 30 in the past was almost enough preparation for a new player to become used to the game. Nowadays, with so many more items, so many more champions(Slowly increasing in average cost) and with the growing need for a full rune page; it is very hard for new players to get started. Not to mention the growing number of smurfs who can ruin their initial and most pertinent game experience. I would hate to be a new player now.

-Mass production-I understand that there are different "sections" working on different parts and pieces of the game. I understand that new features and new maps take extensive amounts of time above and beyond creating a new champion and fixing all the bugs associated. I do think however, that the immense amount of champions being released is almost purely negative to the gameplay experience. It's common knowledge that upon champion release, their are always cries of up or op; based sheerly on a players experience facing the champion or playing as the champion, with this; high skill ceiling champions(ezreal, udyr, leblanc) can be often viewed heavily to one side or the other; whilst low skill ceiling are very hard for players, especially at low elos, to not be considered op (Sona, mf, garen). This can lead to quick changes to these champions, far prior to what is necessary. Soon after they are nerfed or buffed, as players get more used to playing them, or playing against them; they often sway in the other direction and players beg for buffs/nerfs respectively. These new champions bring more diversity to the game, but with the consistent release of them, many are rarely played following the next ones arrival (trundle, leblanc, cassi, irelia), this going along with people seeming to trend towards specific groups of champions as the meta shifts, creates a narrow vision on all the possibilities and combination possible. How often do you see some champions, of course there is an obvious favorite set of champions that many players will hold favor to, but it should not be as radical a difference as not seeing a champion for a large number of matches and seeing another in every match or second match.

-Creative process-I feel as though with the large number of champions being released, a lot of the creative flair and style the game had is slowly fading, many champions feel like a rehash or combination of older champions, some with very similar play styles and mechanics/strategies as the old champions. The last champion i remember playing and thinking, man this is great; is nidalee. So unique, a great multipotential character, an ultimate that feels like an ultimate. Great design, don't play her often enough. Have you ever thought of hiring people for purely design ideas and mechanics work? I mean literally to just create the ideas behind a character, their theme, style

-Ultimates-The more champions are released, the more I think that some champions have ultimates that don't feel nearly as powerful as an "ultimate' should be; especially when put in perspective to other characters ultimates (I understand they are not to be compared)

examples of great ultimates;

Alistar, annie, ashe, fiddle, galio, janna , shen, taric, xin, vlad,

All extremely complimentary to their different styles, scale well and are easy to use well.

Examples of "bad" ultimates

caitlyn, heimer, tristana, trundle, urgot, shaco, cassi

Not congruent with their style of play, scale poorly, suck in general, can leave them in more of a hindrance than an advantage,

Heimers for example is absolutely terrible, urgot and shaco's barely even scale in a useful way and are generally used poorly when they are used, trundle's best target is a tank, despite that being the opposite of what you want to do, cassi relies on ******s to actually use it effectively.'

Hard to place a tl;dr on this,
Just my thoughts.

PetalDance

01-06-2011

bump

PetalDance

01-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEETGLU View Post
bump
^

Death Aura

01-06-2011

Shaco and trist have bad ults? Shacos clones are useful for so many different reasons that I can't even get into and tristana's ult pushes away pesky melee and tanks that like to eat your face (and back into the range where tristana can keep hitting them without danger) Both of those ults synergies with their abillities and neither are detriments.

TheMountainGoat

01-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathTheAura View Post
Shaco and trist have bad ults?
it's not a bad skill, but i guarantee you if she were released today it would be a normal skill, and her ult would be a bat**** insane 500 damage aoe nuke

JRightLive

01-06-2011

Adding this to my "Riot.... You have a problem [Proof]" thread... This is a group of threads by members expressing their thoughts about LoL.

Bump +1

PetalDance

01-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathTheAura View Post
Shaco and trist have bad ults? Shacos clones are useful for so many different reasons that I can't even get into and tristana's ult pushes away pesky melee and tanks that like to eat your face (and back into the range where tristana can keep hitting them without danger) Both of those ults synergies with their abillities and neither are detriments.
Shaco's barely scales to any degree and since it's nerf is almost ******edly useless except for random luck explosions by aoes or escaping.

Trists ult is actually a joke, imagine if her ult was mf's for example, hell any other ranged carries.

edit; trists ult has allowed people to barely escape more times than I can count. People assume no one has mdef.

Arecanderu

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEETGLU View Post
-New players discouraged-New players have a ton of things to learn before they can even come close to being anywhere near ready to play the game, getting to level 30 in the past was almost enough preparation for a new player to become used to the game. Nowadays, with so many more items, so many more champions(Slowly increasing in average cost) and with the growing need for a full rune page; it is very hard for new players to get started. Not to mention the growing number of smurfs who can ruin their initial and most pertinent game experience. I would hate to be a new player now.
actually, LoL is VERY friendly for new players, first time players can learn the basic of the game with the tutorial and do fine their first game if they are inteligent enough to remember what the tut said, other games are VERY unfriendly for new players, DotA have more than 100 heroes(i think 103) with a diferent play style each, some VERY easy to use and others VERY hard to (compare centaur and INVOKER ¬_¬!)

hell, I play DotA every day with my friends since 2009 and we still don´t know how to play all heroes fine.

trust me, smurf are better in LoL than in other games like HoN, HERE a smurf tell new players advises(good advises, usually) to play better, even to the oponents, in HoN smurfs LAUGH and call everybody noobs and tell them to uninstall ¬-¬

PetalDance

01-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arecanderu View Post
actually, LoL is VERY friendly for new players, first time players can learn the basic of the game with the tutorial and do fine their first game if they are inteligent enough to remember what the tut said, other games are VERY unfriendly for new players, DotA have more than 100 heroes(i think 103) with a diferent play style each, some VERY easy to use and others VERY hard to (compare centaur and INVOKER ¬_¬!)

hell, I play DotA every day with my friends since 2009 and we still don´t know how to play all heroes fine.

trust me, smurf are better in LoL than in other games like HoN, HERE a smurf tell new players advises(good advises, usually) to play better, even to the oponents, in HoN smurfs LAUGH and call everybody noobs and tell them to uninstall ¬-¬
lol is not meant to be compared to other games of the same genre. That's like comparing that they have a deny system, whilst we don't, not comparing it to other games; league is very unfriendly to new players. Without a doubt.

CheeseBurguer

01-08-2011

wait Trundle's ulti is bad because it can destroy a tank if you focusing him???
is bad because isnt flashy right?i agreed with the rest but Trundle's ulti is very usefull