Sword of the Divine on Jax?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fated Ataraxia

12-31-2009

Well, I've bought Jax recently and I'm looking at the possible item builds for him. From what I understand, Jax needs attack speed because the main source of his damage comes from his ultimate.

I'm not too sure if Sword of the Divine is a new item because I don't see any guides mentioning it. However, its effect seem to augment Jax's ultimate in two ways: it adds attack speed and it adds an extra 100 damage every four attacks.

So what I'm planning to build is probably:

Vampire Scepter -> Malady
Berserker Greaves/Ninja Tabi
Sword of Divine
Sheen -> Trinity Force
Frozen Mallet/Phantom Dancer/Infinity Edge/Last Whisper

Do you guys think this is practical for a basic DPS build?

Morzas

12-31-2009

Seeing as how you're a Junior Member (not trying to offend you, just stating a fact) and your games are still really long, yeah, you probably can get away with that build. When you reach higher tiers of play, rushing that Frozen Mallet early will be really important.

EDIT: Also, if you're doing a Trinity Force build, it's really important to have cooldown runes, golem buff and/or Elixir of Brilliance since you can only proc Sheen-style items off of Counter Strike and Leap Strike. It's imperative that you get those skills on shorter cooldowns if you're going to rely on that family of items.

I think this would be a decent Triforce Jax build:

Start
Doran's Shield + Potion

First Trip Back
Ninja Tabi
Phage

Second Trip Back
Stinger
Sheen

Third Trip Back
Trinity Force
Fiendish Codex

Final Trip
Nashor's Tooth
Elixir of Brilliance
Elixir of Fortitude
Elixir of Agility

Oh My God Why Hasn't This Game Ended Yet
Guardian Angel / Banshee's Veil

Your HP is lower than the standard build, so maybe you might want to toss in a Heart of Gold in there somewhere, but your burst damage will be higher than that build and your higher attack speed allows you to snowball into your full Relentless Assault more quickly. I might try this build out later, it seems like a good hybrid of the Mage and Carry builds.

Shizz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-31-2009

Stark's + Frozen Mallet rock for Jax imo. Trin force not worth it and Sword of Divine isn't bad as like a 4th item later on.

Fated Ataraxia

12-31-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morzas View Post

EDIT: Also, if you're doing a Trinity Force build, it's really important to have cooldown runes, golem buff and/or Elixir of Brilliance since you can only proc Sheen-style items off of Counter Strike and Leap Strike. It's imperative that you get those skills on shorter cooldowns if you're going to rely on that family of items.
I thought Empower would activate Sheen-style items when I looked at some comments other people had made. If it doesn't, then I think it'd be a bit more redundant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizz View Post
Stark's + Frozen Mallet rock for Jax imo. Trin force not worth it and Sword of Divine isn't bad as like a 4th item later on.
I've thought of Stark's Fervor, but I'm not sure when to build it.

I suppose it could be like this:

Vampire Scepter -> Stark's
Berserker's Greaves/Ninja Tabi
Malady/Frozen Mallet
Sword of The Divide/Infinity Edge/Phantom Dancer

Morzas

12-31-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fated Ataraxia View Post
I thought Empower would activate Sheen-style items when I looked at some comments other people had made. If it doesn't, then I think it'd be a bit more redundant.
It doesn't. I asked Pendragon about this a long time ago and he said "lol that'd be so overpowered". If you think about it, yeah, with some cooldown runes, it'd basically mean that Jax would have double his base damage on every attack. They'd have to rework Empower or Sheen before they could allow Empower to proc Sheen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fated Ataraxia View Post
I've thought of Stark's Fervor, but I'm not sure when to build it.

I suppose it could be like this:

Vampire Scepter -> Stark's
Berserker's Greaves/Ninja Tabi
Malady/Frozen Mallet
Sword of The Divide/Infinity Edge/Phantom Dancer
That's pretty similar to Dyrus' build. Here are the core items:
Doran's Shield
Ninja Tabi
Frozen Mallet
Stark's Fervor

Personally, this is how I do it:
Ruby Crystal (for rushing Catalyst)
Catalyst the Protector
Ninja Tabi (sometimes I get merc treads if they've got enough casters)
Phage first if I plan on staying in lane, Emblem of Valor first if I plan on jungling at 6
Frozen Mallet
Stark's Fervor
Banshee's Veil

After that, buy Elixirs (Fortitude and Brilliance are the most important ones if you can only afford two)

Then if the game's still dragging on, Guardian Angel.

Pyroteknik

12-31-2009

Empower does not proc Sheen. I couldn't say why, you'd have to ask a developer, but I know it doesn't. That's the main reason why I don't go AP Jax, although the Hybrid Triforce/Nashor's build looks intriguing.

I personally like going Philo Stone, Ninja Tabi, Phage, then Phantom Dancer. I use crit damage runes, so the crit chance I'm buying is fully utilized. The evasion fro PD should bump your evasion over 40%, significantly increasing your EHP. Executioner's Calling or a Frozen Mallet usually follows.

There are some problems with my build atm, so I wouldn't suggest trying it, but if you're trying to get a feel for Jax, it can be some food for thought.

I did try to get Sword of the Divine on Jax one game. I had planned to get Haunting Guise (Spell Pen) and Rageblade, but that build was full of holes. It was just terrible. Maybe someone else could play well with it, but I couldn't.

Timmy the Spork

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-31-2009

just a quick comment on the maths.

if you already have both Malady and Sword of the Divine, you probably don't want to get Last Whisper or Phantom Dancer.

assuming that the league of legends wiki is up to date, Jax has a base attack speed of .64, which increases by 3.2% every level. since attack speed caps at 2.5, Jax will hit max attack speed at +290.625%, more than that is a waste.

Jax will theoretically level up 17 times, meaning without items he gets +54.4%. Relentless Assault stacks up to 8 times at +14% (at level 3) each, meaning up to +112% attack speed.

Sword of the Divine provides +55% attack speed and Malady another +50%.

54.4+112+55+50= +271.4%

since Last whisper provides +40% attack speed and Phantom dancer +45%, either one of those will cause you to hit your max attack speed after Relentless Assault has stacked 6 times.

maybe this is what you want, but it seems like both Frozen Mallet and Infinity Edge would be better choices.

lordinfamous

12-31-2009

[QUOTE=Morzas;464202]Seeing as how you're a Junior Member (not trying to offend you, just stating a fact) and your games are still really longQUOTE]

what does a junior member have to do with how long he has played ive been here since early closed beta and im still a junior member.

JunkRamen

12-31-2009

In my personal, limited and probably mid level ELO experience with Jax, I found that you either want TF or Starks + some middle item with Jax. The middle item is generally Frozen Mallet because anything else means you're going to die the second your opponents look at you. Jax can't kill as fast as Yi or survive like Tryndamere so he needs stats to make up for it.

notDeAdYet

12-31-2009

ironically enough sword of the divine rapes jax.
yet the discussion is jax getting it.
strange topic i thought it was a hate thread against sword of the divine.