Shen help vs any ranged..

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BR0bebryant

01-05-2011

so its free shen week, and ive been testing him out.. ive had a couple good games with him, but lately i get stomped in the laning phase so hard it becomes hard to catch up thus we lose.

first me and a tryn took a lane, just cuz hes my friend and we thought we could do some dirty work, but we got completely shut out by a caitlyn miss fortune combo.

then next game i laned with a tristana for some ranged and got owned by a caitlyn morgana combo..

i get completely zoned out, because i can get hit like 4 times in the time it takes to even reach them, and if i get range to last hit i eat a bunch of spells as well.

on another note, caitlyn op. :P

i used to start with cloth and 2 pots, but then i switched to null magic and 2 pots.
am i gonna have to get a dorans item? :/

ive also looked up a bunch of pro vids but the only one i could find was hotshots and he mids against a panth and uses 5 potions, i could do that, lol. so any help??

Panda Equals Ftw

01-05-2011

I always start off with a Doran's Shield and a health pot. Generally I find that's all I need to keep me in lane until I opt to go back for boots or what have you, although who you face in lane could definitely dictate the pace.

The thing to remember early on is that Shen isn't quite the tank he'll be later on yet. You need to know when to play aggressively and when you are going to die if you try to have balls. With that said the tank part comes later, but to begin you really just want to harass and last hit with his q. The range isn't spectacular but it's fairly simple to bob and weave in and out to get your work done.

I had to lane against a good number of Caitlyn's so far since her release and the one tip I'd give is to know how to fake people out. Since it's a skill shot she's going to be smacking you with primarily (besides the auto attacks), learning your opponent and the attack animation will save lives.

Playing it safe the first few levels will ensure you get to a point where you can level your w--aka your ninja shield. Once you have this at a respectable level you'll be able to harass and last hit without so much worry of being destroyed and pushed out of the lane as a result. One thing to remember though is it doesn't last terribly long, so factor it in when considering if you're gonna eat some cc.

And when you finally do go back to shop (which I never have to until at least lvl 6) make sure to grab items that are going to benefit you for the rest of your laning phase. What I mean is: Don't grab a magic resist item if you're facing physicals and vice versa, adapting to what's hurting you is the most important part to playing most champs for me.

Remember that Caitlyn's range early game may be a pain in the ass, but later on when she ult's you a simple w shield will block most of the damage and you can laugh in her face and taunt her, maybe in throw in a dance animation for some spice. Another good one to screw with her mind is using Stand United on someone across the map that she's sure to kill with her ult because denying kills is one of the most fun aspects of playing Shen for me.

Good luck. Shen is probably my favorite champ to play consistently so I hope you have more success in the future.

Summary: Tower hug early if you need to play defensive. Level your shield first to bounce harass. Buy the right equipment to counter the main threat. And remember Shen is a flippin' ninja, so don't be afraid to slap a *****.

FaerellG

01-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR0bebryant View Post
i get completely zoned out, because i can get hit like 4 times in the time it takes to even reach them, and if i get range to last hit i eat a bunch of spells as well.
From this quote, it sounds like you're not taking advantage of the brush. The minon waves will push close to bushes, so if you're there, just hop out, Ki-strike for the last hit then hop back in. Chuck a vorpal blade as well if you need.

I also start with doran's shield + pot
My masteries are currently a 1/21/8 picking up the masteries for Exhaust and Ghost
The key thing is that most of my rune page is bonus health. Flat health Quints as well as dodge seals, some mix of MR and health glyphs and more health for marks.

If you're having trouble with enemy harass, then pick up Feint at lev 2. If you're laning well and think you can gank, grab your dash/taunt at 2.

If I grab feint first, I just stand there and farm. Between the boosted health regen from vorpal and damage negation from feint, I can stand there and eat standard attacks until I run out of energy.

Marlowe7789

01-05-2011

As has been said it sounds like you need to take advantage of the brush more. Those squishies won't come in after you, because if they do you can tank them while your (hopefully competent) teammate puts the hurt on.

I don't see why you're reluctant to grab a doran's item to begin with. Doran's shield + HP pot is the first thing I buy everytime I play with Shen because it gives him all he needs to stay in lane. I max Q first for last hitting and also for harass. Once you have a few levels in Q and E they really shouldn't be bothering you that much. I suppose you could grab W if you were getting harassed hard enough.

Boots then build into Randuins. If you can make it until level 6-8 then you should be good.

LoveYuRi

01-05-2011

For shen always start off with doran shield+hp bot.
my runes r set for tanks but i still do doran shield for a hp of around 800-900 when i start off.
Take vorpal blade as your first skill as this is your harassing skills + life gaining.

If they have a range, always go into bush, wait and then u throw one at them, go back into bush and keep doing it to pick them. IF you cant, then just stay behind and every 3 seconds, throw your blade to farm for kills.

another good way is once youre a lvl 2 and have the shadow dash. tell your team to prepare to attack the range.

Shadow dash will make them oonly auto attack you and they wont be able to use skills, throw your vorpal blade at them and then start uaot attacking them. With your teammate help, you should be able to do 1/2 to 3/4 of thats person hp.

As shen, your ki strike on a normal range with less than 600-700 hp will do atleast 2 bars and then vorpal will help you gain hp

If youre getting stomped on, then let them push you. and use vorpal on the big minions soo u can gain more hp the more time u hit it.

another hint is ALWAYS use your W in a fight, i cant say how much times did shen's W shield saved me. I remember ones, vlad ult me and i had barely 300 hp, activated my shield and i went downto 14 hp. i got lucky but as you can see, your shield will eat a lot of damage for you.

SuperChoob

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-05-2011

I take a dorans shield and a health pot. I take the 1v2 lane if possible because I like a challenge. If they're ranged, even better, because that means they're squishy and easily ganked. I take Vorpal at level 1, Feint 2, Vorpal 3, Dash 4, Vorpal 5, Ult 6, then max out Vorpal because it's awesome. What you'll notice is that while your damage is low early on, once your Vorpal gets to level 3 or so, it is taking out a chunk of their HP every time you hit. The game here is to last hit creeps, have them push you to the safety of your tower, and harass with Q while taking little to no damage in return. Whenever your jungler or mid or whoever cares shows up, ideally you've been keeping the pressure on with Vorpal harass enough that you can just taunt them as they run away and the two of you will clean up.

Anyway, the point is that you shouldn't be looking for early blood unless your lane mate really wants it and has a ridiculous early stun like Pantheon or Sion. Just sit back at your tower, smoke a cigar, and last hit like a boss. The time you try to get a kill is when a teammate comes to gank your lane or when they're fed up with getting Q harassed and try to kill you at you tower. This is when you taunt them into your tower, Vorpal, Ki Strike, and you and your teammate beat the **** out of them for not knowing their place.

If your lane mate has been pushing minions all day, then smack him in the head because he's just asking to get ganked. If however, he keeps pushing the minions, then just keep trying to last hit with Q and Ki Strike, throwing in the occasional Q. If they harass you back, Feint and chill out for a bit. Then go harass them again. You will eventually annoy them into making a mistake like committing to a kill or staying in their lane with low HP. Either way, they lose. It's almost impossible to harass Shen out of a lane imo, because his last hitting, HP regen, quick energy regen, low CD, excellent harass, damage mitigation, CC, and blink just make it **** impossible to kill you if you're careful.

PineapplePine

01-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR0bebryant View Post
so its free shen week, and ive been testing him out.. ive had a couple good games with him, but lately i get stomped in the laning phase so hard it becomes hard to catch up thus we lose.

first me and a tryn took a lane, just cuz hes my friend and we thought we could do some dirty work, but we got completely shut out by a caitlyn miss fortune combo.

then next game i laned with a tristana for some ranged and got owned by a caitlyn morgana combo..

on another note, caitlyn op. :P

i used to start with cloth and 2 pots, but then i switched to null magic and 2 pots.
am i gonna have to get a dorans item? :/

ive also looked up a bunch of pro vids but the only one i could find was hotshots and he mids against a panth and uses 5 potions, i could do that, lol. so any help??
I'm not going to read anyone else's post because I am lazy and I will only give my own opinion and listen whether you like it or not.

First off, I get my summoner spells as Teleport and Ghost. Why Teleport, its pretty useless late game right? Well, it is for laning but not for saving someone. It doesn't give a shield and it just takes just as long. That means you better have even better global map awareness. If you would Ulti, don't Ulti in when they are half dead - you would teleport right away.

Exhaust is also a good one, Heal is "alright" if you must, Ignite is only if you want kills, Flash is alright as well. Clairvoyance also works amazingly well if you're well oriented.

I usually get one of the following as the first item: Null Mantle (24 MR), Cloth Armor, Boots, or Doran's Shield. Least likely being Doran's Shield.

You look at your enemy team and then think "how many would probably deal magic damage?" then you decide what you want. A lot of magic dealers (ranged or melee)? Go for the 24 MR and 2 Health Potion.

If its lot of ranged champions that deals physical damage then grab Cloth Armor or Boots. If you think whatever you're laning against is a pushover and you can probably out harrass them? Boots. Grab Doran's Shield when you don't know what to do, its like the "safest" item to grab, though not my preferred.

Skills to learn are either E if you think you need to run away or try for firstblood or something. Q for typical usage of harrassing, last hitting and a bit of healing. If you grab Q first then go for Q>W>Q>E>Q>R then whatever you want. If you grabbed E first then go for E>Q>W>Q>Q>R. You can indeed grab two ranks in W and two in Q rather than three in Q. Three in Q just makes your last hitting easier and harrass harder.

Examples: Caitlyn and Miss Fortune -> Don't bother with Taunt, grab it last (at level 5), grab two ranks in Q and W. You should be able to absorb enough damage so you take very little damage and able to last hit alright. Don't bother trying to kill them, they have nice range, slow, snare. Punish them if they go into turret range and tell Tryn to go jungle after level 4 or so if possible and if needed. Another thing to do is stay in brush and last hit like mad and try to keep the minions there. Of course you'll get pushed back though. But if you can somehow, they'll think twice before entering to harrass you since you're invisible. Though if you're all the way at your turret, a taunt + Vorpal Blade + Ki Strike will hurt quite a bit if repeated. Yes you'll be eating damage, thats why you get Feint.

Caitlyn/Morgana is pretty much the same, there isn't much point trying to taunt a Morgana because its just impossible against a good one (with her shield). Half your damage is blocked by that shield too (Vorpal Blade/Ki-Strike).

For the record, Cloth Armor and 5 Potions is amazing since thats an additional 1000 Health Points for you to "spend" or waste. Cloth Armor also builds into Omen/Guardian Angel which is both awesome.

Dark Sativa

01-05-2011

Harass from a bush. Sit there, jump out, vorpral blade, back in the bush. If they want to hit you that means getting in range of your taunt, and nearly certain death.