Let's talk about Caitlyn.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MoarYogurt

01-05-2011

Hi everybody. I would like to talk about Caitlyn with you today. I'll give you my opinion and you can give me your response and your opinion. A "discussion," if you will.

I am not extremely high Elo. I am a fairly skilled player though.

Please note: There will be no TL;DR. If you can't take the time to read the post, there is nothing for you to discuss.

For the purpose of this post there are 4 stages in a game: Early (laning), Middle (ganking with dragon fights and pushing), Late (carries are powered up, Baron, big team fights, buildings become way more important), Super Late (you lose a fight on equal terms, game over).

Caitlyn strikes me as a very strong carry in an organized environment. She seems to be weaker in solo queue. Here's why:

1)She comes with an escape. This is incredibly important for a ranged carry with no steroid. If you come at a farmed MF with an IE 1v1, she pushes W and turns you into a pile of goo. Caitlyn can't do that. The other option is reposition. Caitlyn does this one.

2)She has a reliable AoE nuke with a low mana cost that scales well. This is amazing for two reasons: nuking people in early fights and creeping like a boss through the game. Early on, it provides her with some much-needed damage and a way to get assists/kills. Later on, press Q on a minion wave and then last hit all the creeps for amazing farm and an incredible ability to push.

3)Her range. 650 range is second only to Tristana past level 15-ish and Kog'Maw with his W on. Except she always has it. Give her the Lizard Buff and she is hard to kill. Put a Rammus in front of her and a Janna next to her while she has said Lizard Buff and she is completely unapproachable, which is a big deal. MF has a 50% AS steroid. That's a big deal. However, she only has 510 range, so she is ~22% closer to the battlefield. That's a big difference when it comes to staying safe.

4)Her CC. It's not 100% reliable, but it is there. In a large team fight, you can place a trap while people are milling around they will often walk over it. You can also place a trap under someone who is stunned to extend their immobility quite effectively with almost no cost to yourself. Chain stunning and setting up an escape route are the two most effective uses I have found for this skill.

5) She has no steroid. Until she gets REALLY farmed, she can't 1v1 very well. MF will roll her (Q + W + E). Ashe will roll her (W + R). Tristana will roll her (Q + E + R + W). And so on and so forth. She can fend for herself in a lane because she has a tower to escape to. In the open or in the jungle she is very vulnerable. Once she is farmed however, my experience has been that her superior range takes over.

I also watched this on one of HotShotGG's streamed games last night. He was dominated in the lane because MF could out damage him in a 1v1. With equal farm later in the game, MF was able to 1v1 him and come out victorious due to her W and Caitlyn's near-inability to kite without a Lizard Buff, another reason she is weak in unorganized play. FREAKIN' GREEDY JUNGLERS.

Super late in the game, when HotShot was finally given the red buff, he bumped into their team at Baron, with MF standing slightly outside of the entrance DPSing him down. Because of Caitlyn's range and Lizard Buff, he was able to take 2/3's of her health before she could close to get a single shot off.

6)She is Lizard Buff reliant for a slow to net her a lot of kills. Phage can be a nice item, but it interrupts a high DPS build if you aren't doing absolutely amazing. As mentioned previously, solo queue junglers can be very greedy and some won't want to give up their precious Lizard Buff, even if it is to the ranged carry.

7)People don't always want to win the game at the first opportunity. Sometimes it is impossible to get a solo queue team to push. They want more kills, or they want to Baron, or they just don't want to finish the game yet because it feels unsatisfying or something. Caitlyn is amazing at pushing lanes with her Q and knocking down towers from a safe distance. It is an advantage of hers. This will not be utilized early on in most solo queue games.

Analysis by stage:

Early (Strong): Huge range combined with a skill shot nuke and a blink at level 2 means safety in lane and great harass. Farms well. Capable of competing with Vladimir on equal terms in mid. Can get into trouble if soloing top due to bush harass and XP denial. Buy a ward for the bush and take potshots at people. With ganks from a jungler, she's very solid (sometimes doesn't happen in solo queue).

Mid (Strong): Good pusher with a strong nuke that is safe in skirmishes due to range. Good for early on team fights with her nuke-y style. In solo, most people won't help you finish a game early, for some reason, so the pushing isn't as valuable.

Late (Mediocre): Out-gunned by carries with a steroid or more utility. She relies on being unapproachable but she can't do enough damage to kill someone before they get to her, especially not without being guarded, unless she is unbelievably fed, in which case the game should be over anyway.

Super Late (Very Strong): Properly farmed, people die before they can get to her. Few games reach this stage. Her Q is massive with enough AD and wipes creeps and does a LOT of damage to enemy champs on a relatively short cool down. She can kite with red and should be hitting like a train. Pushes fast, has poke. Tristana can take her, but nobody can touch Tristana at this stage and you shouldn't be 1v1'ing anyway.

Thoughts? Ideas?

MoarYogurt

01-05-2011

One bamp. Only one.

SoulCollector

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

01-05-2011

Shes Very Strong 1-6, then she dies down a bit later game and comes back up with epic farm

Nex A Umbras

01-05-2011

She is an amazing Champ. No joke.
I agree, her late game is eh, but that in now way means she stops doing damage. It's always above average, it's just that other champs can do a lil more at that stage.
As you also said, she is lizard buff dependent if you want that slow. I'd actually recommend Lizard because, as also stated earlier, Phage is detrimental to your DPS build.