Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

How to handle Vlad?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lumbergh

01-05-2011

Quote:
Grand Xerxes:
you need to harass him a lot before lvl 9 so that he doesn't get too farmed, thats what I try to do. Sometimes it doesn't work because of various factors, other player is better, etc. but I think that is the most effective way to beat him.

edit: **** ninjas

The biggest issue I see with this is, he's a snowballing champion. Basically you have to give up killing other champions in order to see to it he doesn't succeed. This in turn can also cost you the game at the cost of a loss of either a laning partner or just flat out ignoring all other champions, causing them to pick off the easy kills.

darnasek

01-05-2011

Quote:
the journey:
Can you give some tips for how to play Kassadin against him?

I'm thinking of trying him out (he looks like wicked fun to play), and with every single person and their grandmother picking Vladimir, saying "i mid" in all chat and rushing Deathcap on him (herpaderpadurrrr), I could use some pointers before I charge into mid. Thanks!

kass silence have better range than his transfusion. if you do well , you can harass him without being hit back.

Audhulma

01-05-2011

Hm amumu isn't really going to do much to vlad sorry to say, unless you have a team mate with you to make that ult of his effective. The bandage toss when vlad pops back out of pool adds a nice stun so you can finish him off before he makes the escape, but again you'd need the damage of a partner.

As for LeBlanc, I have only tried her one time in a practice match but supposedly you can silence for 4 seconds straight - and thought this generally is not enough to chew through Vlads health pool at the end of the game, you will definitely make him regret stepping away from the tower once you get mimic. That aside, having been playing vlad alot lately, LeBlanc (even back when she was "op" on release) has always given me a bit of an entertaining counter lane. One thing that should be noted is that it will be more effective to lane against somebody other than vlad with her, preferably a solo lane, and after you have a kill or two under your belt pop into his lane and surprise gank - silence keeps pool and zhonyas from going off.

Quote:
the journey:

I'm thinking of trying him out (he looks like wicked fun to play), and with every single person and their grandmother picking Vladimir, saying "i mid" in all chat and rushing Deathcap on him (herpaderpadurrrr), I could use some pointers before I charge into mid. Thanks!

Just picking kass should be plenty. Short cd silence, an escape AND chase on an even shorter cd than his pool at any rank, AND that sweet sweet passive that denies vlad 15% of his damage. My friend loves melee kass just because it is hilarious, and actually is quite effective, but I'd recommend standard caster burst kass for going against vlad if you are learning him.

Lumbergh

01-05-2011

Quote:
Audhulma:
Hm amumu isn't really going to do much to vlad sorry to say, unless you have a team mate with you to make that ult of his effective. The bandage toss when vlad pops back out of pool adds a nice stun so you can finish him off before he makes the escape, but again you'd need the damage of a partner.

As for LeBlanc, I have only tried her one time in a practice match but supposedly you can silence for 4 seconds straight - and thought this generally is not enough to chew through Vlads health pool at the end of the game, you will definitely make him regret stepping away from the tower once you get mimic. That aside, having been playing vlad alot lately, LeBlanc (even back when she was "op" on release) has always given me a bit of an entertaining counter lane. One thing that should be noted is that it will be more effective to lane against somebody other than vlad with her, preferably a solo lane, and after you have a kill or two under your belt pop into his lane and surprise gank - silence keeps pool and zhonyas from going off.

Well normally I would agree but if Vlad builds warmogs first and I keep getting focused down to the point I generally can't build the items I need, I'm basically useless against his LOL turret drive.

Sinistral

01-05-2011

Any champion that can handle mid and has decent burst/harass/poke ability should go versus him. Everytime he wants to use his Q, attack him, Ashe for example can use Volley and hit a few arrows with her Frost Arrows active, dealing a significant amount of damage, while the amount of health gained is next to nothing.

Annie is an amazing counter to Vlad, stun + AoE + ignite and good damage. Anivia is also a favorable pick against Vlad.

Kog and Ez do very well against him too, since they both can poke very well, just wait for him to make a move and hurt him, or if you find him defensive, push as hard as you can.

When in need, gank him.

He is fairly harmless from levels 1-8, know that level 1 pool has a cooldown of 20+ seconds, so if he used it, haras him.

At level 9 he becomes harder to deal with, but he will fall hard against proper CC and burst.

redlightman

Recruiter

01-05-2011

Quote:
the journey:

Your silence out ranges his transfusion but you have to watch so you back off right when it shoots so he can't transfusion you before the silence hits since it moves pretty slow. Early levels the silence has a shorter cooldown as well and he doesn't heal much from transfusion so you can pretty much dominate the lane against him. Once you hit level 6 you should be able to kill him doing Kassadin's combo really easy. Whenever he gets to level 9 and his transfusion is spammable, that charges up your Force Pulse allowing you to use it more often as well.

TheMonocleRogue

01-05-2011

Urgot is a very good counter to Vlad. In fact, he's a very good counter to any mid once you get his skills down.

Cenerae

01-05-2011

How to beat vlad:

Force him to pool, then kill him when it's over. Doing this shouldn't be too difficult.

This tactic applies throughout the entire game. Playing burst damage casters means you'll need to bait him into pooling, however, so save your longer cooldowns in reserve and go for the kill when your lesser cooldowns come up. They'll be up long before his pool is.

cake is a spy

01-05-2011

i play malz and i laugh at mid vlads, keep visions on him so he has to heal from minions not you then harass constantly (it helps if your really good with the silence) if he tower dives ulti him to keep him there

Lumbergh

01-05-2011

All of these seem to be great ways to handle a vlad, I guess the hardest part is I always play normal (mainly due to not feeling confident enough to play ranked) and I can't see what the other team is picking. I guess when I see Vlad from now on I'll have to make sure he gets shut down everytime. Too bad the last game I played against a Vlad, we focused instead on shutting down their jungle.