Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Magic thornmail needed in the game?

Yes, the item is needed 33 25.38%
No, the current MR itemset is fine 68 52.31%
Uncertain, we'll need a bit more testing 29 22.31%
Voters 130 .

So now that the casters have their big AP items...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Eddy01741

01-04-2011

Not any more than bveil already shuts them down...

Think about it, 100 magic resist and 15% magic damage returned. Lets say they have 3 spells and their full combo does 1500 damage to you, each spell doing approximately 500 damage. With this "magic thornmail"+merc treads you get 155 magic resist. THey do 589.5 damage to you after your 155 magic resist (assuming no mpen, just to make math simple for now). You return 225 damage (I believe damage returned is the actual damage dealt before resists are factored, so 15% of 1500 is 225).

With banshee's veil, same caster, same damage. Bveil gives you 105 magic resist. First spell is blocked, so they actually only do 1000 damage to you. And after reduction by 105 magic resist is only 488 damage.

In this scenario, this magic thornmail would not block as much damage as a banshee's veil. yes, it returns damage, but 225 returned damage isn't all that much.

Arcanist

01-04-2011

Riot doesn't want to do an opposite of sunfire cape so I don't think they will do this (40 physical damage per second AoE with magic resist).

Frostoad

01-04-2011

Bring Bansky back Rabadon sucks T_T

noodle0117

01-04-2011

maybe if they gave casters a few more high end spell vamp items then maybe.

mark4505

01-04-2011

I play casters a lot. If they introduce a thornmail for magic users, I better get a S&M cape where when you autoattack me, I heal instead of taking damage.

Shatterlight

01-04-2011

Couldn't Wit's End and Hexdrinker just get tuned up a bit instead, rather than adding an unnecessary item?

NDAWE

01-04-2011

Magic thornmail... not, but new MR item will be good. Somethink that give only MR and HP witn no MP.It may have pasive unique : Increse unit MR by 10%. Would be great

Negatron Cloak + Giant's bell = Hextech booster
740 1110 recipe 800 = 2650
60 MR + 500 HP Unique pasive: Increase your MR by 10% (calculating not only champion default MR but MR from other items too)

TheBigMuff

01-04-2011

OH EM GEE, magic users might actualy be able to do some damage after the enime gets a banshee veil (and not that much to boot) what ever withh carries do?

RedCarmine

01-04-2011

It sounds good until you realize two things.

1. Thornmail is countered by lifesteal, spell vamp is terrible and would not counter a magic thornmail.

2. Annie nuking you and losing 900 health would suck ass for her.

dogbiter

01-04-2011

id prefer to eliminate the original thornmail.

or an item with AD, MR and an special effect