Why does Riot start new lvl 30s at 1200?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Heliostorm

01-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by xKoBiEx View Post
Sorry, original poster, but your idea is bad. Starting ranked players at basically nothing would create a new median and even more imbalance in ELO. Have you ever played a game that started ranks at 0?
It's bad, but not for the reason you said. Since Elo is completely relative 0 Elo can easily be the Elo of the top-ranked players, with average being around -800 or something. In chess they actively have to counteract global Elo inflation/deflation.

BaneTek

01-04-2011

Quote:
Sorry, original poster, but your idea is bad. Starting ranked players at basically nothing would create a new median and even more imbalance in ELO. Have you ever played a game that started ranks at 0?

No I have never started a game that starts players out at ZERO, so in the spirit of a fair system, lets start all new players at normal lvl 20..

Which is the point I'm trying to make about players starting out at elo lvl 1200... Oh and I am in the 800 bracket and I see more players with less than 100 wins... Yea I know the whole learning curve but dam games flooded with lvl 30s at this elo rank and many of them DO NOT UNDERSTAND the elo system NOR understand WHY people want to move up in it.

PERHAPS if they started lower they might have a better understanding and appreciation of it

xKoBiEx

Recruiter

01-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaneTek View Post
No I have never started a game that starts players out at ZERO, so in the spirit of a fair system, lets start all new players at normal lvl 20..

Which is the point I'm trying to make about players starting out at elo lvl 1200... Oh and I am in the 800 bracket and I see more players with less than 100 wins... Yea I know the whole learning curve but dam games flooded with lvl 30s at this elo rank and many of them DO NOT UNDERSTAND the elo system NOR understand WHY people want to move up in it.

PERHAPS if they started lower they might have a better understanding and appreciation of it
If your elo is around 800, then your elo would be 0 or close to it if you started at 100. What would this change? You would be complaining that you had a zero or negative elo and it should start somewhere else.

There are problems with elo rating that are totally distinct from where elo is started. As people have said, starting location is relative. People with positive win ratios have elo ratings that are usually greater than 1200 and people with negative ratios have elo ratings that are below 1200.

Let's get Riot to fix matchmaking first...so that elo is more related to your skill level rather than your team that you get stuck with in solo queue. Elo was meant for solo competition. It gets skewed hardcore the more you throw in random teammates.

3870x2

01-04-2011

average is closer to 900-1000. 1200 is the top 25%, this has already been discussed in several different topics I would have rather forgotten about by now.

This could be due to a flawed ELO system.

BaneTek

01-04-2011

Quote:
If your elo is around 800, then your elo would be 0 or close to it if you started at 100. What would this change? You would be complaining that you had a zero or negative elo and it should start somewhere else.

There are problems with elo rating that are totally distinct from where elo is started. As people have said, starting location is relative. People with positive win ratios have elo ratings that are usually greater than 1200 and people with negative ratios have elo ratings that are below 1200.

Let's get Riot to fix matchmaking first...so that elo is more related to your skill level rather than your team that you get stuck with in solo queue. Elo was meant for solo competition. It gets skewed hardcore the more you throw in random teammates.
I understand your point, its just frustrating when you get a slew of fresh green lvl 30s in the mix that have no understanding of the elo system therefore care less about it...

NeverNever

01-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3870x2 View Post
average is closer to 900-1000. 1200 is the top 25%, this has already been discussed in several different topics I would have rather forgotten about by now.

This could be due to a flawed ELO system.
As a 1258 ranked player I find this hard to believe... I defiantly see far more players around the forums and in general at higher ranks than 1200 being the top 25% would suggest. Also people are bad here, and i'm not great either.