Why does Riot start new lvl 30s at 1200?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BaneTek

01-04-2011

Really straight forward question as any judgement calls about it I make in these forums results in them ignoring it... So better idea is always to ask WHY?

Simply want to know why you Devs at Riot decided 1200 was better than 100

Thanks for your time, I hope you guys give this an answer

Dingus Khan

01-04-2011

ELO is based around the idea that every player is average until proven otherwise. 1200 ELO is average ELO.

TheUndeadFish

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-04-2011

If you aren't able to carry yourself out of 1200 atm, you would probably have just as hard of a time carrying yourself out of 800.

CaptainTrips01

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-04-2011

1200 ELO is top 25% of all players, it isn't the average. I agree with OP, it should be a bit lower.

TodaysChaos

01-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUndeadFish View Post
If you aren't able to carry yourself out of 1200 atm, you would probably have just as hard of a time carrying yourself out of 800.
This.

Heliostorm

01-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingus Khan View Post
ELO is based around the idea that every player is average until proven otherwise. 1200 ELO is average ELO.
Actually, no it's not. Choosing a start point in the Elo system is completely and utterly arbitrary. It makes absolutely no difference where you start them as the system is completely relative. Eventually, depending on the start location, an average elo will be created, but that average elo is not necessarily above or below the start elo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elo_rating_system

If they moved the starting Elo down, then the average Elo would move down and so would the top Elos. Nothing would change; if they start at 800 then 800 would be the new 1200 and 400 would be the new 800 and 1600 would be the new 2000.

Dingus Khan

01-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainTrips01 View Post
1200 ELO is top 25% of all players, it isn't the average. I agree with OP, it should be a bit lower.

Err, no it's not.

A Wild Articuno

01-04-2011

1200 is not the average. I believe it was somewhere in the 1000-1100 range, or some Red mentioned.

ayanaftw

01-04-2011

OP doesnt seem to understand that elo rating is all relative

unless u want 0 elo to be the floor and have a cess pool of bads from 0-100

xKoBiEx

Recruiter

01-04-2011

Sorry, original poster, but your idea is bad. Starting ranked players at basically nothing would create a new median and even more imbalance in ELO. Have you ever played a game that started ranks at 0?