Need help? A guide to ELO and ways to improve your rating.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

I Bing I

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-26-2011

can't wait to get 30!!!!

Fallenwithin

07-26-2011

Ok here's my issue.....I was doing great staying above 1100 while learning ranked game's and then all the sudden i've gotten in this rut......The last 5 games ive played has had a leaver and one time i had a power outage and lost internet so i lost alot of elo as it says i left a ranked game..........But my Questions are i help the team alot i play carries i can play support i can play tanks....But i lose ive been in the rut lateley bad i know im not a bad player i just am either doing something horribly wrong or im just not getting it.....Idk i went from 1100 down to 800 wtf lol its kicking my ass.....Idk any help would be appriciated

Deathfairy

07-26-2011

5 game loss is 60 elo down, if went down 300 elo there alot more to the story.

MelofMovement

07-28-2011

bump

Drew Martin

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-14-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onisake View Post
for those that enjoy competitive play, it's a different kind of fun. if you dont 'get it, you're not ready for true competitive play.

like i said. League doesn't use ELO. it's just called ELO for some reason. i explained it more thoroughly to show that it isn't an ELO system. we just call it that for some reason. that part eludes me. but w/e

if you think the statistics are unimportant, and data is unimportant, you really, really aren't ready for competitive play. giving a simplified version, is again, something more for general discussion. not high level competitive play.

ESPECIALLY since your original topic was about how to improve your ELO. you can't withold data or information.

as the great lord kelvin once said: To measure is to know. if we can't measure it. it becomes unknown, and therefore beyond our control.

real ELO is measurable. everyone who is serious about chess or go, knows how ELO works. it's defined. Riot's system is undefined. likely because it is not robust, and easy to exploit. IE: their stats team isn't very good. there's nothing wrong with that. this is an f2p game. they dont' have the resources blizzard does, or any other larger company.

again, competitive play means you're ranked. if you're ranked, you already know everything you mentioned. your guide is more for people who are unranked. it doesn't really belong hear until you expand on it.
Who da hell cares. GTFO.

DarkPsx

10-19-2011

bump

madjeski

12-08-2011

IMMA bump this cause its good

Abendschein

12-08-2011

Hello,

I've been in competitive gaming since I was 14 as well. I started in CS 1.6 and spent three years in a clan that focus a lot on CAL and small tournaments (never got into anything bigger, we were lacking), but we did well for what we had. Eventually I moved on, and I too got into WoW and Arena. After three years and always being within 20 poitns of glad for four seasons running, I called it quits after my server continued to die and my partners left the game in order to get on with their lives. I'm currently 20 and trying to form a competitive team in LoL. However. . .

We're having issues. A lot. And a big thing I've noticed, as the support player, is that a team that congratulates one another and helps pick each other up does so much better. Lately - that's been an issue. In the midst of many other problems, and the likelihood this team may not work out, I'm still trying to find a way to make the team, and myself, better and more fun and continue to push into the competitive scene more.

How would you suggest recuperating from a negative streak? It seems that no matter how hard I try it gets worse, and lately I seem to be the biggest front of attention when we lose, even if I pulled off a good score, good gold gain, and overall really good ward control. It feels like it's pushed my way a lot in general though. I seem to get all the negative attention because they focus on the one mistake I made during a game and really drill into it, ignoring other mistakes and really not even taking a notice to them. But we don't do horrible or bad even that often, and when we do good it really seems like they just want to pump up their egos more than their entire team's. Is it wrong of me to think that the members themselves are causing problems? Back when I played WoW and CS 1.6, everything was looked at as a team issue. If our shaman couldn't shock the fear/poly, it was on him, but we always found a way to put it on the team. Like we could've forced more pressure and kept the warrior defensive so the shaman had less on his mind, or put people into positions where shocking would be easier. Or if our mage couldn't get polies off we'd force bad positioning on the other team so he could, or we'd help him get into a better position. It was never a single person's problem, it was the team's and we would help the team get better. Yes - individual player skill does exist, but we worked a s a team to raise it and worked with it.

But I don't feel that here. I feel bad for thinking the members of my team are solo que heroes, but at the same time I feel it's justified.

What would be your advice to reversing such a trend and getting the team to perform better in general? So much time and energy has been put into it, and I've seen some really good stuff, so I can't just drop it, nor do I want to. =/

Edit: Because I seem to have not mentioned it before; Great thread. I really approve. So much to say but it's not necessary, so many others have already said it.

DarkPsx

01-12-2012

bump