[Item Suggestion] Why not try Range Items?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Todesman

01-03-2010

I have something missing in the item shop that could make the game a lot funnier for some chars.
Why not trying to make items that increase the Range of a character (either basic-attacks or abilitys. decide which one)
Yes the range, donīt just hate me.

"But that would totally destroy game balance. No-one would ever play melee again. You canīt increase melee range"

I have to admit that increased melee range would be a bit strange (like an rubber armed alistair) Youīd have to leave that out. But you could make it somehow like the Scepters in Warcraft. That have different effects on different characters. Some get increased basic-attack range (like ranged characters with low basic range or special I-want-to-have-****ing-high-range-and-its-not-that-bad-if-you-give-it-to-me-characters such as ashe) donīt give it to twitch that would destroy the game. On the other side some characters could get buffs on spezial abilitys (A way to get melee characters a buff on their range attacks like tarics dazzle or nunus snowball).

"But people would go on buying these and get ****ing increased range till they canīt be hit even once! IMBA"

You would make it a non stacking effect like movement items. There will be different ranks of enhanced range (same as enhanced movement).
For Example: Nunu buys the basic range item, giving him enhanced range 1. this increases his snowballs range by 100 and his absolute zeros range by 50. the same item with the same enhanced movement 1 is giving a basic attack range increase of 50.
Now Nunu can decide wheter he combines it with longsword to make an item that gives him enhanced range 2 and basic damage (which would be better for our ashe) or he combines it with amplifying tome to create an item that gives him enhanced range 2 and some AP (which would fit snowball) or he simply makes it to an item that only gives him enhanced range 3.

Buying 2 items with the same enhanced range dont make it stronger only the first one will have an effect and only an item with higher rank can make the buff increase, just like the boots.
2 Items with the same enhanced range will always give the same effect, except of their side effects.
If a characters gets a buff on an ability or basic range it will only get a stronger buff on the same ability with increasing ranks of enhanced range. The increasing ranks only make the buff stronger but dont increase the number of buffs.
The effect the item would give to your item is to be seen in the text under the normal effect.

Some example items:
Long Bow - This is the basic enhanced range item
costs about 400-475 so that you can buy it early game. gives only enhanced range 1

Big Bow - gives enhanced range 2
costs about 800-975 and doesnt needs anlong bow

Siege Bow - the basic enhanced range 3 item
costs about 600-800 and a long bow
The better one for the all time high rangers

Hard Bow - Gives 20 damage and enhanced range 2
costs about 400-500, a long bow and an longsword
Magic Bow - Gives 30 Ability Power and enhanced range 2
costs about 400-500, a long bow and a amplifying tome
Fast Bow - Gives 25% attack speed and enhanced range 2
costs about 400-500, a long bow and a dagger

medium range and side effect there can be other bombinitions such as mana,health,regen,movespeed,armor,magic-resistance,-penetration or vampirism

4-Armed Crossbow - Passive: Gives enhanced range 2 Active: Gives enhanced range 5 for ten seconds Cooldown: 30 sec.
costs about 500-600 and two longbows

for short term super-high range. similar to boots of mobility but not exactly the same if you look close.

can combine all of the above with other items to create more enahnced range 2 and 3 items.

So have fun flaming an discussing

SuperStag

01-03-2010

Not in the mood to argue, but nice idea from the first point of view.
Also, Champion feedback?

Kryzen

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-03-2010

Hm, seems like a pretty interesting idea... The biggest problem I see with it, though, is increasing Twitch's Spray and Pray range even more. Also, it'd be harder to land an Event Horizon. If I'm reading this right (which I might not be) would it also increase the radius of AoE abilities like that and Cannon Barrage?

Otherwise, it's a pretty neat ability. Gives some characters more potential... I can easily imagine Warwick getting better with a longer range on his ultimate!

I've got to say, this seems like a really cool idea, and I'd like to see it implemented (with a few minor modifications, such as leaving certain spells, like Event Horizon and Spray and Pray alone).

Todesman

01-03-2010

It was actually meant to only increase certain spells and all by different numbers.
It also wont affect the AoE of a Spell but the range you can use it.
It will give some basic-attack range to some characters not everyone. And it will only affect some spell not every spell. Just like Ability Points. They also dont give the same bonus to every Spell and they dont affect every Spell. Twitch will definitly get low buffs from enhanced range because he is already evil and this would totally destroy the balance.

Take enhanced range as a chance to make the game more balanced. Op characters get less from it Up characters get more.

If needed I make a list what character would get what effect of what rank of enhanced range

Iīm sorry I put this in the champion feedback, because i didnīt knew of the item section. Maybe someone of riot could put it to the item section. I donīt know how to do that.

Kryzen

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-03-2010

Hm, okay. I see what you're saying, and I support it!

BAMFPKMN

01-04-2010

Good idea! Although there need to be diminishing returns, I don't want an Ash to shoot my tank from far far away.

sdjaks

01-04-2010

I hope this wouldn't mean people would be able to outrange towers - this is already a problem with Twitch's ult.

Zeron

01-04-2010

Cool idea actually. Hell you could have it be a ratio gained per ability like AP.

Towers would be an issue though - I think it'd have to be only on abilities and not on standard attacks.

Silent Reaper

01-04-2010

I just want to say that maybe they should also include passive items with ranged attacks?

For all those unfamiliar with what i mean, in many War craft 3 Custom games they provided items with a passive attack ability.

For example:

Fire Cape
Shoots a Fireball to the closest enemy within a range of 400 units (Heroes are prioritized)
Deals 30 damage per hit.
Shoots one every 5 seconds.

What do you guys think?

Kajax

01-04-2010

I would main Tristana.