High Elo Viable Crit Gangplank Guide ( by Feel no Fear )

1234511 ... 14
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Feel a Fear

01-02-2011

My gangplank only account is "Feel no Fear"(which has been as high as 1970)

Disclaimer
: Gangplank is one of the hardest champions in the game to play and be viable in the upper elo tiers. Reading this guide will not make you successful on its own. This build requires practice, experience, and deductive reasoning. Because of the lack of defensive items, you will die a lot if you don't thread the needle just right.

Introduction: Greetings and salutations, if you are here that means you want to learn the build that enabled me to climb from 1400s ->1900s. While I often dismiss other builds on my stream which can be found here (http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board....php?p=5078892), it's important to note that no guide can encompass all situations that might occur, and that as the game changes with new patches parts of this guide may become invalid. This builds main goal is to give you insane mobility, and a high, but also reliable damage output. This build sacrifices defensive stats (hp/mr/armor) to maintain offensive superiority.

Masteries:
9-0-21

Runes:
Yellows/Blues| Mana Regen per level (28 mp5 at 18)
Quints/Reds| Increased Crit % (14% crit)

Summoner Spells:
Flash+Exhaust

Skill Order:
E/Q/Q/W/Q/R (max Q then W then E getting R whenever possible)

Items: [total crit chance]
1|Brawler's Gloves (8% crit) [24% crit total]
2|3 Avarice Blades (36% crit/15g ever 10 secs) + Boots [52% crit total]
3|Cloak of agility (18% crit) + Merc Treads [70% crit total]
4|Infinity Edge (20% crit) [72% crit total]
5|Zeal (10% crit) [82% crit total]
6|Phantom Dancer (30% crit) [102% crit total]
7|Sell 1 Avarice (-12% crit) Buy Phantom Dancer#2 or Last Whisper [120% or 90% crit total]
8|Sell 1 Avarice (-12% crit) Buy Last Whisper or Phantom Dancer#2 [108% crit total]
9|Sell 1 Avarice (-12% crit) Buy Bloodthirster [96% crit total]

This gives you 100% crit endgame (with green pot), massive damage, and the ability to outrun people who ghost.

***will add more for now im taking a break to stream***

Feel a Fear

01-02-2011

reserved

Basil van Yhun

01-02-2011

Why dont you put that guide onto leaguecraft?

VCJunky

01-02-2011

Hmm Silent Sniper says you're the #1 pirate but I would like to ask some questions.

Firstly, why do you say you sacrifice defense but suggest a 9/0/21 mastery setup? 21 Utility sounds pretty defensive (especially from the regen and mspd masteries). Also, it sounds like you're missing out on a lot of damage that is possible from the (21 point) final mastery in the offensive tree.

Next, why do you recommend 9 in Offense? I'm assuming the 9th point is for the 15% magic pen. But that doesn't work with Parley, does it? Seems kind of pointless to get that mastery just for adding damage to the ulti. If it does work with the gun please say so.

Also, what is the point of Merc Treads? Since you have Remove Scurvy and should only be using it in emergency situations, I don't see the point of having this. You seem to be a fan of having high movespeed, so why do you not like Boots3? In a game where you need to buy some MDEF, you should probably be building a Banshee's Veil anyway, so I don't see a reason to have Mercury Treads on him, like ever.

And on the subject of movespeed, why do you not like Yomuu's GhostBlade? It seems to be a natural choice for him, since everyone gets at least 1 Avarice Blade on him anyway. This would help him add more movespeed during chase situations (both chasing down and for running away). Also what do you think about the Ghost summoner spell? You didn't really talk about all the other spells. I know Exhaust is pretty good, but I see a lot of pirates rocking Ghost + Flash.

I also want to ask about your rune choices. Why do you not use Armor Penetration? A lot of people say Chalice is bad, and I see you try to make up for his mana problems using mana regen in Yellow and Blues. But I'm pretty sure that Armor Penetration works with Parley. Aren't you missing out on a lot of damage from that as well?

For Armor Penetration, I only see you using Last Whisper. Is this really the best way to go? I probably wouldn't try Cleaver on pirate... But what about Starks? Would you ever use it? Why or why not? What I'm trying to get at is, without runes, and only Last Whisper, is this build still effective versus super tanks with a billion armor?

If you are really good with pirate, please address my questions because I am interested in learning him... Thank you.

Bianary

01-02-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCJunky View Post
Firstly, why do you say you sacrifice defense but suggest a 9/0/21 mastery setup? 21 Utility sounds pretty defensive (especially from the regen and mspd masteries). Also, it sounds like you're missing out on a lot of damage that is possible from the (21 point) final mastery in the offensive tree.
I can probably answer this one, because it's not specific to GP:

The 21 point mastery means that for every 1000 damage you deal to an enemy, you get 50 bonus added onto it. That's it. When killing a 4000 health tank, you'll kill them approximately 200 health earlier if you have it than if you don't.

The faster cds (For both your regular skills and your summoner skills) from utility are likely to add far more effectiveness over the course of a game than 21 offensive.

JRizzle81

01-02-2011

and rickless be trollin again...

NooksCranny

01-02-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCJunky View Post
Hmm Silent Sniper says you're the #1 pirate but I would like to ask some questions.

Next, why do you recommend 9 in Offense? I'm assuming the 9th point is for the 15% magic pen. But that doesn't work with Parley, does it? Seems kind of pointless to get that mastery just for adding damage to the ulti. If it does work with the gun please say so.

Also, what is the point of Merc Treads? Since you have Remove Scurvy and should only be using it in emergency situations, I don't see the point of having this. You seem to be a fan of having high movespeed, so why do you not like Boots3? In a game where you need to buy some MDEF, you should probably be building a Banshee's Veil anyway, so I don't see a reason to have Mercury Treads on him, like ever.

And on the subject of movespeed, why do you not like Yomuu's GhostBlade? It seems to be a natural choice for him, since everyone gets at least 1 Avarice Blade on him anyway. This would help him add more movespeed during chase situations (both chasing down and for running away). Also what do you think about the Ghost summoner spell? You didn't really talk about all the other spells. I know Exhaust is pretty good, but I see a lot of pirates rocking Ghost + Flash.

I also want to ask about your rune choices. Why do you not use Armor Penetration? A lot of people say Chalice is bad, and I see you try to make up for his mana problems using mana regen in Yellow and Blues. But I'm pretty sure that Armor Penetration works with Parley. Aren't you missing out on a lot of damage from that as well?

For Armor Penetration, I only see you using Last Whisper. Is this really the best way to go? I probably wouldn't try Cleaver on pirate... But what about Starks? Would you ever use it? Why or why not? What I'm trying to get at is, without runes, and only Last Whisper, is this build still effective versus super tanks with a billion armor?

If you are really good with pirate, please address my questions because I am interested in learning him... Thank you.
i'm going to tell you right now the 21 in utility is for cd for all spells and mana regen for harass/deny. Also the 9 in offense if for 15% for the ult and crit chance and cd. He likes to start with 21%crit chance in laning phase instead of just 7% and armor pen. The crit chance runes work out a lot better than armor pen. Starks is attack speed, and his build focuses on max damage output. I can't really speak for him, but your questions can be answered by anybody.

VCJunky

01-02-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bianary View Post
I can probably answer this one, because it's not specific to GP:

The 21 point mastery means that for every 1000 damage you deal to an enemy, you get 50 bonus added onto it. That's it. When killing a 4000 health tank, you'll kill them approximately 200 health earlier if you have it than if you don't.

The faster cds (For both your regular skills and your summoner skills) from utility are likely to add far more effectiveness over the course of a game than 21 offensive.
This only half answered my question. Besides the 5% from the final mastery point, you are required to spend points on other skills in the offensive tree. Most likely those will be on Lethality (Crit Dmg), Brute Force (AD), and Sunder (Armor Pen). All 3 of those also add damage output to Parley as well, not just a normal attack. So even with your example of 1000 damage, you actually deal out much more than 50 extra because of the bonuses from all these other masteries. Over the course of the game I feel like this might add up to a hefty amount of damage output that is missing from this build.

I am not saying his build is wrong, but I would like to hear some more justifications on why 9/0/21 might be better than 21/x/x.

Thank you for at least trying to answer... 50 per 1000 doesn't sound like much after all, but I'm still not convinced CDR makes up for the lost damage from the other masteries in that tree. Would like to hear some more input.

NooksCranny

01-02-2011

cdr allows for more harass and farm with parrely, more healing (w), more deny, and more global ults. How are you not convinced? Plus his built has 0 cd in it, so he needs the cd from mastries. Its really not rocket science.

Motyapa

01-02-2011

Why no Trinity Force? It works amazing with your Q. It also provides Crit chance
Because oyu hit Q, proc TF, then the same bullet uses the TF proc

1234511 ... 14