[Guide] Evelynn - Like it when they SCREAM

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ulminati

01-01-2010

Table of Contents

1 - Intro
2 - Overview
3 - Abilities
4 - Tricks of the trade
4a - Basic Ganking PRocedure
4b - GOLEM BUFF
5 - Summoner Abilities
6 - Runes
7 - Masteries
8 - Item Build
9 - Strategy
9a - Early Game
9b - Mid Game
9c - Late Game

Intro

Evelynn is a very fun character to play. She is often underestimated, because so many people play her wrong. But if done right, she packs massive spike DPS, and the highest sustained dps of any champ in the game period. I've had a fair amount of succes (about 3 wins to every defeat) with this build.

Overview

Evelynn is one of four champions with stealth. Your stealth is your friend, but it is not a reliable escape ability. Your job as Evelynn is to pick out softened (or naturally soft) targets and take them out early and often. You're not much of a pusher/tower-killer until very late game (and then only under very specifc circumstances). In team fights, your job is to hang around nearby and leap into the fray only when you are fairly certain it will net your team a kill. If you judge risks correctly, you will very, very rarely die; this is key to getting the most out of your items. Make yourself a solemn vow: As Evelynn, I will not do anything that may get me dead.

Abilites

Q - Hatespike
Hatespike is your bread & butter damage ability. It is spammable (very much so), but uses relatively little mana. Just make sure you always have enough mana remaining to disengage. Also remember that your basic attack does a decent amount of damage too. Never be too busy spamming Q that you forget to autoattack at the same time. Especially once you get sheen/lichbane.

W - Shadow Walk
Shadow walk is a decent ability, but as stealths go it is quite weak. Its duration is pitiful at low ranks (where it'll be most of the game), and your fade-out is reset every time you take damage. Hence, it s a terribly escape ablity unless combined with your ultimate or a summoner spell. DoTs will reset the fade on every tick; you are going to HATE twitch with a passion. Its saving grace is that whatever you hit when you're stealthed will get stunned for 1 sec by the first attack, which will give you 2-3 free hits.

E - Ravage
Your initator-move. If done from behind, ravage will lower the targets armor, which'll further help your damage. Also worth noting: Your AP scales 1:1 for damage on this, which will lead to some sick damage later. The refresh is short(ish), so don't forget to reapply malice liberally if you're still chasing your target.

R - Malice and spite (Ultimate)

The refresh on this ability is a bit funky. Whenever someone on your team - be it you or someone else - kills an enemy champ, this skill refreshes, and wll be available for 3 minutes after. Don't be afraif od using this skill early and often, chances are someone on your team will refresh it again soon. It has a passive and an active component.
As a passive ability, whenever a champion you have damaged recently dies, you are healed for a portion of their max health. This is very useful for tower diving, as the heal may help you get out of tower range again.
You can activate it for a boost to attack and movement speed, and you should do so liberally whenever you're about to initiate a gank (or during teamfights whenever it is up for added damage).
Finally, itcan also help you escape a gank gone wrong, as the extra movement speed may get you out of autoattack range, so your shadowwalk can fade.

Determined Killer (Passive)

You take half damage from minions and neutral creeps. This is useless for ganking, as you'll want to have no creeps nearby to soak hate spike anyway. It will, however, help you getting golem buff early on. Nothing too exciting here.

Tricks of the Trade

The basic ganking procedure:
I've seen a fair share of terrible Evelynns, so I feel this section may be warranted. There are typically 3 steps to a gank: The scouting, the initation and the chase.

Scouting: First, locate a suitable target. What you're looking for is several things. They must have few enough hit points that you are certain you can take them. Weakened and squishy champs are ideal. You must be able to approach them. Keep an eye out for vision wards, and wether they or anyone nearby have an Oracle's Elixir (purple flask) buff icon. It may be worth investing in an oracles of your own to take out vision wards. Once you've decided you can approach them unmolested, check for nearby teammates or towers. They are likely to run towards those, and you want them dead before they reach them. You will be using brush liberally for your scouting, as your stealth is fairly short.

Initiation: Hate Spike targets your closest enemy and another random target. If there are enemy minions close by, chances are hate spike will hit them instead of your victim, drastically reducing your DPS. So wait until there are few minions near your opponent before you initiate. Once they are standing a bit to the side, pop your stealth. (Remember to wait for the fadeout before leaving your brush). Maneuver behind them, pop Malice (If it's up) and RAVAGE their sorry ass. Follow up by autoattacking (ravage targets outside melee range, so you need to click them to autoattack) and spam Q. MORE! SPAM THAT Q-BUTTON LIKE YOU MEAN IT!

Chase: Your stun wears off quickly, and most enemes initial reaction to losing 25-50% of their health is to panic and run. They may have a stun/slow you overlooked. They may flash out of range, or pop another panic key. Reasses wether you can reach them and kill them before chasing. By now, they're running for safety, and it's not worth riskng death if you're not certain to get a kill. If they're still killable, just keep autoattacking and spamming Q. Your malice and spite movement speed should make it impossible for them to flee.

Aftermath: Well done! You killed someone (or at least you didn't die). Now's a good time to stealth, as renforcements are likely on their way, and you don't want a counter-gank. Determine wether you need to find somewhere safe and bluepill for health/mana, or pick a new target and start anew.

GOLEM BUFF:
You want this. Period. A golem buff renders mana regen items irrelevant for you. More importantly, the cooldown reduction will let you hatespike more often. Hate Spike is your main source of damage, and a 20% reduction to cooldowns equals a 20% boost to DPS on your primary attack. Essentially, think of it as a 20% attack speed bonus. Once you hit level 6, you can easily stealth-ravage-hatespike spam the golem if you took smite to help. And from that point onward, you should try to have the golem buff on you always. Your teammates may disagree, but no other champion benefits as much from the golem buff as you do.
Lizard buff is also desrable (but not nearly as desirable as GOLEM BUFF) for the slow component to help you chase.

Keep them paranoid:
Mind games are important for every stealth character. Observe what happens in any lane when a champion enters the brush. Usually, the opposition will pull back a bit, as if the enemy occupied the entrety of the brush. Use ths uncertainity to your advantage. In the first couple of levels, stealth often if mana allows to keep weakened opponents away frm their creeps simply with the THREAT of you being there. If you have to bluepill from your lane, make sure the opposition sees you stealth, before diving to a brush and bluepilling home. Some people have said that bluepill doesn't break stealth; but just in case there's a vision ward or oracles nearby, finding a bit of brush is a healthy habit.
Also, when you are moving between lanes in the midgame, try to avoid being seen by enemy towers and creeps, so the opposition won't know where you're headed next. Few things warms my heart like seeng 3 opponents with Oracles by level 6, effectively setting themselves back a full item just because they fear the Eve. >

Summoner abilities:

I Prefer Smite and flash or smite and ignite, dependng on wether I'm 9/0/21 or 21/0/9. Flash is an excellent "Oh Bollocks" button, ignite is free Ability Power (and extra damage) if you pick its mastery. Smite is fairly unconventional, but it serves many purposes that make me love it. First, it'll help you with the dragon, if your team is so inclined. Second, it will take out tank creeps at half health on low levels for extra gold. Third - and most important - it'll help you get the all-important golem buff.
Other buffs worth consdering would be exhaust; possibly heal. But they shouldn't be necessary once you get going.

Runes

Honestly? I don't have the kind of IP for a full page of Tier 3 runes for every champ I play. I would reccomend getting lots of cooldown runes (for hate spike. More cooldown will give better DPS than more AP) and +Movespeed Quintessences. You may want to consder +hp Seals, as Evelynn is one of thre squishies champions in the game. Personally I use +cooldown glyphs and seals, +armor pen marks and +movepseed quints as an universal rune page.

Masteries

Two ways to go here. Either 9/0/21 or 21/0/9. For the former, pick up the following:
- Offense: Plentful Bounty, Archmages Savvy, Sorcery, Archaic knowledge
- Utility: Perseverence, Good Hands (1/3), Awareness, Utility Mastery, Greed, Meditation, Quickness, Intelligence, Presence of the Master

For the latter, be sure to grab Ignite as your second ability and pick the followng:
- Offense: Plentful Bounty, Archmages Savvy, Sorcery, Alacrity, Archaic knowledge, Burning Embers, Sunder, Lethality, Havoc
- Utility: Perseverence, Good Hands (1/3), Awareness, Utility Mastery (1/2)

If you're not yet level 30, Archaic knowledge is more important than reaching deep in utility.

Item Build

Starting items: Sapphire Crystal and 2x health potion OR Amplifying Tome and 1x Health potion

The first half of the game, you will focus on getting three core items. If you find yourself in town for any reason, be sure to grab any prerequisites for the next item on the list that you can afford.
First trip to town: Starting item -> Sheen
Second trip: Boots of Mobility
Third trip: Mejai's soulstealer
Fourth trip: Sheen->Lich bane

At this point, look at your enemies. If they stack MR, the next item you want is a void staff. If you're struggling to get kills, a Fiendish Codex (later upgraded to Deathfire Grasp) may be what you're after. If everything's humming along fine, consider Zhonya's ring. If your opponents are playing very defensively, the extra HP from a Rod of Ages will help you live through team fights.

As you approach the endgame, don't forget Elixir of Brilliance. It gives you a considerable boost to damage.

Strategy

Early Game
You'll want to lane with a partner. If you start top, go top, if you start bot, go bot. Stop at the creep spawn halfway down the lane and ask your partner to let you solo the creeps. If you're lucky and get golems, they will take you to level 2. Pop your smite (and ignite if you have it), wail on them with hatespikes and autoattacks, drink a potion if you need it and go to your lane. You should get there at the same time as your creeps do, missing out on no xp. Play carefully, last hitting if you can, going invisible to keep your oponents paranoid. If you get a solid oppertunity to gank with your partner, take it, but don't take any unnecessary risks. As soon as you can afford sheen, stealth, find some brush and bluepill back for it. Then look at the different lanes for a squishy target to gank. Go there, follow the tactic outlined earlier in this guide, then switch lanes and repeat. Once you get your boots of mobility you can be just about everywhere in moments.

Mid Game
By now you should have your sheen and your boots. Possibly, you've already begun your soulstealer. Keep moving to whereever your team is fighting. Hang back a bit and jump in to finish off oponents who are low on hp or try to flee. If nothing is immediately pressing for your attention, it's time to grab yourself a golem buff. From this point onwards, you want to have a golem buff as much and as ften as possible. Your teams annies, Kassadins, Udyrs etc. are going to dsagree on this. Sucks to be them, but try not to antagonize your teammates. You need them to soften up the oppositin for you. Stick to brush and jungles, try not to be spotted by oponents creeps to keep them guessing at your location. Gank, try not to get ganked (especially once your soulstealer is bought) and save up for your lich bane.

Late Game
By now, all your enemies are moving in groups. So should you. Tail your teammates and be ready to jump in if they engage in a fight. Your burst dps is brutal, so prepare to be focus fired. Don't engage until you think you have a chance to get out. As soon as you kill an opponent (unless anther is nearly dead), you should disengage and re-stealth before picking a new one. If you've successfully avided too many deaths, you shuld have 4-500 AP by this stage (more if you could also afford a Zhonyas). Most enemies melt as soon as you open up on them at this stage. It's also wrth considering pushing towers. If you wait until enemy creeps are nearby as well, you can hate spike every 3 secs for a lich bane proc, and towers will drop fairly quick.

Closing Comments

I hope you gained something useful from this guide. Evelynn is a BRUTAL ganker if played well. She relies heavily of remaining ahead of the oppostion in terms of levels and gold. An underpowered Evelynn will struggle to get kills. Don't be afrad to farm/jungle to make up the difference. And don't forget your teammates. Running around solo, ganking left and right it's easy to forget that even your meagre tower-damage may be needed for a push. Be on the lookout for vision wards, punish people for buying oracles if you can. Once you learn how to dance on the knife's edge between being an unholy dervish of destruction and plastered all over the landscape, you'll never want to play another champ.

Happy ganking!

Prospero

01-01-2010

Thanks for the guide. I'm going to take this for a spin tomorrow. I played with a long chain of horrible Eves tonight which doesn't give me a ton of faith I can pull her off, but it'll be fun to try!

boni

01-02-2010

Looks good overall, but I have some points to disagree.

Quote:
...pop your stealth. (Remember to wait for the fadeout before leaving your brush). Maneuver behind them, pop Malice (If it's up) and RAVAGE their sorry ass. Follow up by autoattacking (ravage targets outside melee range, so you need to click them to autoattack) and spam Q.
Afaik you lose your stealth by casting Ravage, therefore wasting your stun, if that hasn't been changed in the last 2-3 patches. Btw, Ravage also reduces their MR.

Quote:
Earlygame: As soon as you can afford lichbane, stealth, find some brush and bluepill back for it.
I'm sure you mean Sheen.

Quote:
Running around solo, ganking left and right it's easy to forget that even your meagre tower-damage may be needed for a push.
Solo-Ganks aren't that good for Eve imo. Popping the stun and burstdamage at the right time in a teamfight is devasting. And Eves tower-damage is far from meagre. Hatespike + Lichbane/Sheen + her ult destroys towers and inhibs faster than any caster/tank can do. She's nearly on par with DPS there.

As for Itemization. An alternative to Boots of mobility are sorc-boots. The -MR owns. It really depends on how you play, but I would at least mention them.
And you don't even mention Rylais. Rylais is awesome on Eve, and you'll most likely need it lategame for the added survivability. Plus escaping is impossible while beeing permaslowed by Hatespike.

Ulminati

01-02-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by boni View Post
Afaik you lose your stealth by casting Ravage, therefore wasting your stun, if that hasn't been changed in the last 2-3 patches. Btw, Ravage also reduces their MR.
You do lose stealth by ravaging. But you also stun your target. Hate spike, ravage and basic attacks all proc your shadowwalk stun.

Quote:

I'm sure you mean Sheen.
I do. My bad. Fixed.

Quote:
Solo-Ganks aren't that good for Eve imo. Popping the stun and burstdamage at the right time in a teamfight is devasting. And Eves tower-damage is far from meagre. Hatespike + Lichbane/Sheen + her ult destroys towers and inhibs faster than any caster/tank can do. She's nearly on par with DPS there.
I did mention it towards the end. Once lich bane is up, the procs give her a very good tower DPS IF something is nearby to hate spike.

Quote:
As for Itemization. An alternative to Boots of mobility are sorc-boots. The -MR owns. It really depends on how you play, but I would at least mention them.
And you don't even mention Rylais. Rylais is awesome on Eve, and you'll most likely need it lategame for the added survivability. Plus escaping is impossible while beeing permaslowed by Hatespike.
All valid points. Personally I've found no boots are even close to bots of mobility for an eve. Since she needs to move about the map so much (and there are better summoner spells than teleport), mobility boots keep her from missing out on too much xp in transit. Rylai's is not a bad item per se; but few games will last long enough for you to afford lichbane, boots, mejai's and zhonya's. By all means, Rylais is a nice item. But I find a lizard buff will give me much the same benefit. I'll try and squeeze a rylai's in after lich bane in a few games and see how it goes. If it seems as viable as Zhonya's in practice, I'll update the guide.

boni

01-02-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulminati View Post
You do lose stealth by ravaging. But you also stun your target. Hate spike, ravage and basic attacks all proc your shadowwalk stun.
Oh, cool. I always thought it was otherwise? It's been a long time since I first played Eve, and I've kept it this way.

As for the items, just thought it should be mentioned.

BobiusMaximus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

01-02-2010

Eve tip for laning against people without AOE attacks.

To keep them paranoid, when you're going to buy, Stealth visibly in the middle of the lane and immediately hit B.

Your stealth is slightly delayed, so you'll be recalling whilst invisible so the enemy think you are going to strike them at any second and tower hug.

Ulminati

01-02-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobiusMaximus View Post
Eve tip for laning against people without AOE attacks.

To keep them paranoid, when you're going to buy, Stealth visibly in the middle of the lane and immediately hit B.

Your stealth is slightly delayed, so you'll be recalling whilst invisible so the enemy think you are going to strike them at any second and tower hug.
If I recall correctly, bluepill breaks stealth. It is still a valid strategy though and one I use often, only I move back and into brush before hitting bluepill. It's a good point. I'm not sure why it sliped my mind, but it's added to the tricks section now.

themanofwick

01-02-2010

Maybe It's just me (and admittedly I'm still a level 12 summoner, very new to LoL, but I still end up with 30-
70 kills routinely on Eve), but while you say you like Flash as a defensive tool, I adore it for offense and anti-stealth countering.

When you are dominating in a game, or, against better players, even just start to gank them the fast reaction is anti-stealth: Oracle's Elixers. Personally wards don't really scare me as you can work around them with a little patience. But Oracle's Elixers are different. I sneak behind my opponent using brush/ ordinary line of sight, then pop Eve's ulti and flash in. It's almost as good as having stealth, and a fantastic way of killing an annie or other ranged stun caster who might be a threat if s/he saw you in time.

Plus flashing into/out of turret range. Just some tricks I love.

Also curious - why do you recommend Ignite/Smite over Teleport - sure, ignite is decent damage or 10 ability power, but mobility on early ganks can make 10 ability power/ignite damage insignificant if you manage to gank all 5 enemies by level 8/9. The extra gold wil make up for it.

Just some thoughts. Sorry for the wall of text.

Gatsbys

01-02-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by themanofwick View Post
Maybe It's just me (and admittedly I'm still a level 12 summoner, very new to LoL, but I still end up with 30-
70 kills routinely on Eve.

70???
I find that very hard to believe.

Gaeb

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-02-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatsbys View Post
70???
I find that very hard to believe.
I've found mid end games prefer non-stop fights in mid (aka "square dance of stupidity") rather than splitting up to push.