Looking to get started with Jax

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dyrus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Recruiter

01-06-2010

one of the reasons why I made that thread was because I have varsity basketball in real life. but then I got sick for 3-4 days so I missed 3 practices so now i'm on the bench for a little while.

Meta

01-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyrus View Post
one of the reasons why I made that thread was because I have varsity basketball in real life. but then I got sick for 3-4 days so I missed 3 practices so now i'm on the bench for a little while.
Hey Dyrus, welcome back.

I actually took a look at your guide after making my original post. Just a few questions for you about it:

It looks like it's pretty old. Is everything there still fairly relative to playing Jax today?

Some of your skill-build suggestions seem... strange. If I'm remembering correctly they changed the order of some of his abilities, which would explain my confusion. Any chance you could update accordingly?

I saw a post by Phreak yesterday basically saying that the main Jax build that's viable for higher level play is a tank build. Would you agree?

ketchup

Recruiter

01-06-2010

I wonder if you really need a "tank" build for Jax. What Jax does best in my opinion is the following: you want to initiate, stun, hit, run, then repeat(Because you keep moving in and out of the team fights, basically, you make it difficult to focus just you, but you do enough damage that they regret not focusing you). Most regular attack damage items work fine with this idea. I think this build would be interesting more so than just tank(Which I assume is sunfires, although a thornmail Jax might just as well because of the heavy phys dps we see). Starks -> phage -> frozen mallet -> BF sword -> etc . Don't know if I'm right, tell me what you think.

(Btw, I'm not sure Jax is used in higher level Elo.. If he is, he is very hit or miss, where you get lucky with the other team's composition. There's also the item that nullifies dodge, which is a real pain for Jax)

Meta

01-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchup View Post
I wonder if you really need a "tank" build for Jax. What Jax does best in my opinion is the following: you want to initiate, stun, hit, run, then repeat(Because you keep moving in and out of the team fights, basically, you make it difficult to focus just you, but you do enough damage that they regret not focusing you). Most regular attack damage items work fine with this idea. I think this build would be interesting more so than just tank(Which I assume is sunfires, although a thornmail Jax might just as well because of the heavy phys dps we see). Starks -> phage -> frozen mallet -> BF sword -> etc . Don't know if I'm right, tell me what you think.

(Btw, I'm not sure Jax is used in higher level Elo.. If he is, he is very hit or miss, where you get lucky with the other team's composition. There's also the item that nullifies dodge, which is a real pain for Jax)
I'm not sure. Most of this information I've gotten from Phreak's posts. He claims that he sees more Jax's at his level than Yi's. I guess that doesn't necessarily mean that there are a lot of Jax players up there though...

Dyrus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Recruiter

01-06-2010

the reason why a tank build is viable now is because of the global survivability nerf. I think Big Mclarge Huge knows more about it then I do about that.

my answer to your question would be all builds are viable because Jax is a somewhat flexible hero, hence the reason why triforce is very effective on jax now days.

and for the skill order, basically I just don't touch empower at all. there are different ways to put it but if you don't have a mana crystal or a meki pendent or some sort of mana regen or source, then empower is not worth getting at the lower levels. Unless you want to be an ******* like me and go leap-empower for the first levels then get all damage items then use timing jump empowers on people to make them explode with a billion dmg. (which isn't that effective but kind of funny)

it feels like i'm repeating myself, so I think it would be better for me to tell you in some chat window, and tell you from scratch.