Ironstylus: "We're on track to release a VU every month or so."

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tortferngatr

02-03-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
The toughest part is the pre-production/concept phase. Trying to noodle out what makes this character who they are. Obviously there was an intention, but that intention couldn't quite be executed when the champion was originally made. We need to balance the intention versus what the players now hold in their mind.

Example, we don't think Taric was intended to be a joke. We think he was intended to be our standard paladin with some flair. But the psychology players have around him is very different. How do we reconcile those things? It can be a challenge at times. Lots of back and forth, lots of philosophical questions.

Yeah, Eve is interesting. In that case everything is up for discussion, and yes, if something new gets discovered, going drastically away from the current version, we need to consider a traditional skin.

I guess the "easiest" so far was Master Yi. Straightforward, we knew how to keep the charm, and it was a straight up VU with a well thought out kit change.
Keep the paladin and emphasize it, but make the joke and dance outrageous.

One thing I kind of like is his little "gem for virtues" lines--kind of like a magic Taric knows but few others do. It really makes him feel like he's learned in his magic and contributes to the character he's meant to be (when he's not being TRULY TRULY OUTRAGEOUS.)

Might we add a few more, though?

"Amethyst for alacrity."
"Topaz for fortitude."
"Amber for protection."
"Jet for mystery."
"Agate for magnanimity."
"Jade for honesty."

On attack:

"Jasper for adamance."
"Aquamarine for swiftness."
"Obsidian for what must be done."

And most importantly, when getting a kill on Draven:

"Halite for humility."

RiotForScience

Senior Environment Artist

02-03-2014
53 of 78 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophitia View Post
Btw, it's not hard for people to stay on topic. Here's a great example of RiotforScience maintaining his thread consistently and responding to user feedback and providing very positive discourse over the length of a very long thread.
http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com...95819#44895819
Thanks for the kind words, but there are a lot of ways to interact with the community. I do what I do because it is easy for me; and I need specific types of feedback. I really admire how well IronStylus communicates with the community.

Sophitia

02-03-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotForScience View Post
Thanks for the kind words, but there are a lot of ways to interact with the community. I do what I do because it is easy for me; and I need specific types of feedback. I really admire how well IronStylus communicates with the community.
I agree, he does a good job communicating with the community. There's a lot of reds that do, and as a whole, the community definitely appreciates that kind of staff interaction. With that being said, I don't believe that we should sacrifice forum discourse for the sake of the reddit forums. You guys have proven that the current forums can have an integral role in communicating with the userbase.

It's also important to remember that player to player communication is easier on the current forums, which can be just as valuable as staff to player communication.

Uuni

02-03-2014

I love the effort you guys put into reworks and VU's but as a yordle lover, I really wish I don't get burned by "YUP". Dont break my heart pls ;_;

AlienKnitter

02-03-2014

Is there any chance those running the Community Beta look in here? I assume most of the people who don't like the new style aren't going to go there to comment, and a quick scan of the site feedback certainly follows (I only saw two thread in the last three weeks). Alternately, is there a good place to go talk about it on the current forums where they do look? Cause I would honestly love to hear move about VUs and updates in general (even if I don't have a direct question myself), but that isn't going to happen unless people have a place to talk about it they actually feel comfortable using.

EDIT: Actually, I did think of a question. What is the reasoning behind male and female yordles looking so completely different? Cause that has bothered me since beta, when I learned Trist and Teemo were the same race.

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

02-03-2014
54 of 78 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophitia View Post
I agree, he does a good job communicating with the community. There's a lot of reds that do, and as a whole, the community definitely appreciates that kind of staff interaction. With that being said, I don't believe that we should sacrifice forum discourse for the sake of the reddit forums. You guys have proven that the current forums can have an integral role in communicating with the userbase.

It's also important to remember that player to player communication is easier on the current forums, which can be just as valuable as staff to player communication.
It is valuable, that's why there might be some workable middle ground. Have you started a discussion there yet? Would you like to and point me in the direction to get some traction? I'm all for experimenting. I don't see why you're hell bent against it, and seem to feel everyone else is, when it's such a marginal thing at the moment.

I'll say it again, put your money where your mouth is, like Hellioning. Not only did that new thread get noticed by other players, but designers (FeralPony, Sion's designer) and the team developing the community beta also.

You assume it's such a terrible alternative yet in a day some really great stuff has happened.

Kappadin

02-03-2014

Has Riot Zeronis done any work on Morgana yet?

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

02-04-2014
55 of 78 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Binding View Post
Has Riot Zeronis done any work on Morgana yet?
...maybe.

He and I might have a secret plan to redesign Kayle and Morgana from the ground up together. "Might" is a strong word, though.

Kappadin

02-04-2014

Quote:
...maybe.

He and I might have a secret plan to redesign Kayle and Morgana from the ground up together. "Might" is a strong word, though.
No way

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love you and Zeronis so much.

Edit: if you do indeed have a plan regarding the two sisters, do you think their updates will happen before the end of the year?

Sophitia

02-04-2014

Quote:
It is valuable, that's why there might be some workable middle ground. Have you started a discussion there yet? Would you like to and point me in the direction to get some traction? I'm all for experimenting. I don't see why you're hell bent against it, and seem to feel everyone else is, when it's such a marginal thing at the moment.

I'll say it again, put your money where your mouth is, like Hellioning. Not only did that new thread get noticed by other players, but designers and the team developing the new beta also.

You assume it's such a terrible alternative yet in a day some really great stuff has happened.
Every major thread that's mentioned the issue in the main forum has been filled with downvotes and dissent from the playerbase. Your choice to ignore that is disheartening and frustrating. I've tried reddit before, and I do not like it. I have no desire to ever be a part of a system that interacts very similarly to it, and I and others will leave when and if it's implemented looking anywhere near what it looks like now.