Ironstylus: "We're on track to release a VU every month or so."

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Linna Excel

02-03-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
Example, we don't think Taric was intended to be a joke. We think he was intended to be our standard paladin with some flair. But the psychology players have around him is very different. How do we reconcile those things? It can be a challenge at times. Lots of back and forth, lots of philosophical questions.
I kind of see Kayle as the game's main paladin. Though Garen with his regen and holy smite move also makes him a candidate.

(Looking at Taric's stats.) Yeah he fits the mold.

I think the joke is based on how comically bad his fifth age splash art is. That's it. And his fuzzy pink leg warmers. Riot was kind of asking for it with those. So as long as that one model of him is comedic any VU to his base form could be done seriously without having to worry.

immortalibra

02-03-2014

Hey I'm wondering if a Pantheon VU is coming this year. He's part of the "pizza-feet offenders", he's got an outdated look, doesn't match the Targon look with Diana and Leona, has giant hands and feet, wears a friggin speedo, his Full Metal skin doesn't match his splash or Jayce's and Rammus's

immortalibra

02-03-2014

O and I hope I'm not overstepping but i had an idea that with the Taric VU, when he activates his W he should be shirtless. and while the timer is up for the passive to come back, he can have the pieces of his armor gradually come back. just an idea

ColdJr

02-03-2014

Guess i'll just ask again, why was Udyr given his spirit skin when that could have instead just have been his visual update that would have been great on him?

exec3

02-03-2014

Ironstylus, reading your posts on the beta site you said that you thought of making a predeath Sion and going from there, would that predeath Sion happen to become a skin for him?

Also you said you're scrapping Sion's old voice (which is understandable though disappointing for those that are amused by it), is there any chance of a traditional Sion to preserve it as some people like it because of how comical it is. Probably not I would guess given Nasus's old voice wasn't preserved but it's worth asking.

Sophitia

02-03-2014

Quote:
I'm not contractually obligated, I'm looking for a better venue for us devs to interact with you.

The unfortunate reality is that this system simply is not scalable nor effective in the long run. That's just the reality. I know people are adverse to change, but this will be the way it's going to go most likely.

Twitter is a great way for devs to bring attention and jumpstart discussion. Is there a particular problem with me bringing people to that discussion? There's a lot of great ideas in there now and I can much more easily track what's happening. What's more important; players producing page after page of opinions which are extremely difficult to track and sometimes negatively charged which discourage devs from posting, or us seeing the rational sentiments and questions and actually being able to effectively answer questions which people feel are important via upvote consensus? Maybe it's a tradeoff, but if it helps me get more info to more people in an effective way, I'm 100% for the venue change.

Again, here we are, this discussion has been hijacked from VU's to forum venues. There's at least 3 different discussions happening. VU's in general, specific character VU's, forum discussions, etc. That is simply not viable. In the new venue this would most likely stay on track, doing the service to the people who are here to talk about the subject at hand.
It derailed because you helped derail it. You seem hell bent on these new forums, and when you make posts gloating about how great you think they are, we automatically feel the need to respond and tell you that's not how the community sees it. I'm glad you're looking at changes to make the community beta more user friendly, but it's been in beta for quite a long time now, with no real progress. People still hate it as much as we did on day 1.

Btw, it's not hard for people to stay on topic. Here's a great example of RiotforScience maintaining his thread consistently and responding to user feedback and providing very positive discourse over the length of a very long thread.
http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com...95819#44895819

Super Explosion

02-03-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophitia View Post
People still hate it as much as we did on day 1.
So some features are useful: like the fast sidebar Redtracker and the ability to see replies to posts.

But those could be implemented perhaps in a more user-to-user conversation friendly manner.

In the Full Reddit mode that is in effect now, there's a high likelihood I wouldn't have even seen your post to reply to.

It would perhaps be nested far down in a tangential subthread, hiding the conversation points from most users.

Mister Stylus might have seen it-- but that perhaps isn't the only point of a discussion forum.

It's perhaps not really a dimension of 'change bringing annoyance', but a dimension of the format having been implemented and tested in several venues, and many people still not liking it for perhaps directly stated reasons (in this thread and elsewhere).

Nellas

02-03-2014

I don't really care about how long it takes for Riot to pump out new VUs and reworks, as long as they're a huge upgrade and it's obvious that they put a lot of work into it. But... *cough* Miss Fortune VU and rework sometime in the near future pls <3.

CSDragon

02-03-2014

Quote:
Example, we don't think Taric was intended to be a joke.
Taric's popularity may have mutated from an in-joke, but I think people genuinely appreciate him in his manly fabulousness.

Big Papa Rich

02-03-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereAssassin View Post
Like how Karma was about duality. All of her abilities could help team-mates or hurt opponents depending on how they were used. Or, how her name was symbolic of her playsyle in that, when you hurt her she gets more ap(karma....get it?)

GJ keeping that theme(sarcasm).
This