Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

How is Swain?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PhantomMasaka

01-01-2011

Swain isn't bad, but tbh I'd prefer Malzahar. Still, if played correctly, Swain can kill you. and in the lane, his ult can heal you pretty good, so if managed correctly, you can stick around for quite sometime.

Veztai

01-01-2011

Don't build Swain for AP/burst damage, the results will make you come to the forum and QQ about his being underpowered just like everyone else.

Instead, go more for surviveability + Rylai's and you should be fine. At low levels Swain can dominate just about any champ. When you get into the higher levels, your job switches more to tanking and keeping the enemy near your team, ^_^

Hannor

01-01-2011

I would suggest you get Annie and wait for a free week to test Swain.

Simply because Swain has a different caster style from the norm that some people just do not like. On the other hand, Annie is a straight forward, well rounded caster.

I really like playing Swain, but it is not for everyone.

Grunghole

01-01-2011

Quote:
Hannor:
I would suggest you get Annie and wait for a free week to test Swain.

I tried Annie last free week (whenever it was), and while she was ok, I didn't really care for her playstyle. The stuns were fun, and interesting, but it just wasn't it for me. I'm not really sure why, since I had a good time last time Ryze was free. Then again, I liked Spell Flux, so there is that :3

To be honest, I'm not sure what exactly interests me about Swain. I guess it has to be that I've heard that his playstyle is so different from regular casters. I don't own many casters. I have a tendency to want to get in the middle of teamfights, which is a bad place for your average Annie/Ryze/LeBlanc to be. Or so I've heard.

Raptamei

01-01-2011

Swain hs a slow start because he doesn't have an early followup to nevermove and torment is too close ranged. But by the time you're level 4-5, have all three spells and nevermove is already slightly spammable, you can just throw it around the other sucker's ears until it hits, then EQ ignite and auto attack. This may get you a kill if you've been able to harrass effectively; if not, they're out of the lane.

After level 6 you're unstoppable in lane. If the other sucker lets himself get snared, do your combo and chase him down with raven which is usually enough for a kill. You can even tower dive effectively.

Pushing and farming is very easy: nevermove on the caster creeps, then walk over to them and morph in their face. One wave of ravens (two if it's level 1) and you have three CS and you get all the mana back you used for the ult as well as a significant chunk of life, and the other sucker can do nothing about it. Turn it off immediately of course. Making carrion renewal instant has been a massive massive massive buff to his pushing ability.

During team fights your role is to CC people. You should have rylais by now (in fact that should have been your first purchase because it makes laserbird useful at less than max level) which means laserbird slows by 67% and torment by a respectable 35%, nevermove messes with positioning and if they don't have the reaction time of a squirrel it will snare them at the wrong moment.

The problem at that point is, the raven is conspicuous and you'll get focussed. If your tank isn't up to snuff, you'll end up involuntarily drain tanking and probably feeding. Then again it may take a while and a few summoner spells/stuns to finish you off because the drain doesn't stop when you're stunned, making you a very nice offtank! Congratulations!

Patyrn

01-01-2011

I've been playing a LOT of swain recently and he seems to be very balanced. I mostly play him solo top but he doesn't need it to do well. There are some tough matchups where you have to be very careful\conservative waiting for level 6. Kennen can be rough, so can nidalee. Once you hit 6 proper use of your ult means you can stay in the lane forever.

The build I've been doing is:

Doran's ring
Doran's ring (totally optional, I like the early game hp\ap right around when I hit 6 to get me some kills)
Sorc boots
Catalyst
RoA
Abyssal if you're worried about magic damage (Really look at their team, tanks supports and madreds users count as magic for this decision)
Zhonyas

ALWAYS take ignite. You multiply the damage from it with E and really really need it to be a plausible threat to carries.

Your role in team fights is actually a lot like Singed. You run around being unproductive to focus but too dangerous and annoying to ignore. Your qwe combo with ignite will leave any equally geared carry trying to run for it. Always take blue buff. It lets you leave your ult on way longer in fights. Proper use of your ult in fights, knowing when to kite and when to dive, etc. will make or break you as swain.

CianZ

01-01-2011

I love playing Swain, he is soo fun!

Smellis

01-01-2011

All this talk about ignite... all i got to say is if you're putting your self in a situation where ignite was the reason you died... you're doing it wrong!

Swain is an awesome caster.

8mYzEWJRkIIM2gRT

01-01-2011

Swain is a Caster through and through.
All of his 4 spells are AP based
His W is very good to hold people in place
And with your Ultimate you can heal yourself back up

I hope this gave you a good impression of Swain.

13eta

01-01-2011

Swain is like the bâstard child of Anivia, Karthus, and Vladimir. Unfortunately, like all bâstard children, he turns out to be an inferior knock-off.

It's like he's Karthus without the signature Requiem move but with defile as his passive and ult, but he's got Anivia mixed in because he has an AoE but his other skills can be used for single target burst, and he's got some Vlad mixed in for good measure with all of his healing and his single-target damage amplification.

But in the end, this guy is like the druid character in a fantasy game. Jack of all trades, master of none. This kind of character always sucks by definition. The only times druid-type characters don't suck is when they're actually "good" at something. In other words, the game designers **** up and unwittingly make him jack off all trades, master of one (or two).