How is Swain?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Grunghole

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-31-2010

Coming up on 6300 IP, and I need a caster. Was thinking about Swain. Is he fun to play? What is his role in a teamfight? Any tips? How do you usually build him? Is he strong?

I know literally nothing about the guy other than that he's got a cool-looking ult and he hobbles around. Not really the best basis for purchases, I know, but that's why I'm asking about him.

kioik

12-31-2010

He is pretty good, unless the enemy team is packing a lot of ignites. He's a walking ult that deals damage and heals. His CC is pretty good, too.

Deathlordx

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-31-2010

Once he hits level 6 the ball gets rolling. However, ignite/executioner's calling are your bane. He isnt your traditional nuke mage, but more an off-tank mage.

make progress

12-31-2010

get anivia

Bermuda Inasmus

12-31-2010

He is lots of fun alright, good CC ans sustained damage, as well as the ability to not shatter when ever someone hugs you. Not really a nuker, but a tank/mage hybrid thing

YoungUnicorn

12-31-2010

I saw a Swain on the enemy team go mid a few days ago, and he dominated. He fed off mid and ganks on top, had sooo much AP. But when teamfights happened and I popped Ignite on him and focused him, he would blow up extremely fast.

That's the unfortunate part with Swain, even if he gets super fed and can nuke like crazy, he's too easily countered.

fuffychan

12-31-2010

Buy Vlad. Always Vlad.

Talamare

12-31-2010

He is the Mundo of casters

He does good damage, and heals a lot.... but is heavily countered by ignite

AAARRRRGGGGGHHHH

12-31-2010

I'd just get Karthus or Anivia instead.

MalHeartsNutmeg

12-31-2010

He's pretty fun, you'd probably wanna build him a bit beefy.

At 6 you can drop a WTFCombo that will either kill your opponent or force them to recall.
If that's not your style he can zone pretty well and just poke away at your lane opponent.

I would HIGHLY recommend solo mid with him, I just find him underwhelming in a side lane. In mid he'll just last forever assuming you don't just go nuts and blow your mana.

Generally 9-0-21 Masteries, Mpen marks, MR-5 scaling seals, CDR glyphs, Health quints. Ghost and ignite are my summoners but that's just preference.

For builds the core I use is: Dorans ring to start, RoA (rushed), sorcerers boots (or mercs if needed), spirit visage, and either DFG or Void staff. If I get DFG it's before spirit visage, and remember, Torments damage boost applies to DFG's damage, so it works well.