Constructive feedback after a week of heim...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Jooce

01-01-2010

For better or worse I played heim almost exclusively this past week. Actually one of the main factors for me retiring this game is having such a hard time getting a game going with heim only to find out that when I finally do, matchmaking has pit me with a bunch of fools. A majority of the games I played were wins in which I played a factor in, of course the few losses that were lost by my teammates before the 10 minute mark.

To clarify first, I'm not some fanboy that loved heimer before and wants to see him be godlike. I never thought he was godlike before, I hardly played him before, but I never thought he was a big deal. He was annoying at best (Hello 75% of the champions in this game).

Heim can actually be quite the impactfull character. Like anyone else that has had success with him has noticed he's quite powerful with an AP build and building for missile/grenade to start with a mere point on turret for farming/turret defense. The problem with this approach is that after your missile/grenade combo, you're pretty much useless in a group fight. If you aren't Pro at hitting your grenades, then your team will easily call you a liability.

Right off the bat Riot, I can tell you that the inherent problem with heimer is that you have focused so much on his turrets, but have made them a liability for him and his group.

Realistcally Heim can get 1 turret up, and upgraded to the 2nd lvl for a group fight. People finally figured out that certain champions trump his turrets when they are massed up, so turrets aren't really that big of a deal anymore (imagine if you hadn't nerfed em to shreads before people discovered these counters).

Ideally the best time to do this is in the jungle in the brush (anticipating that the enemy team will take whatever bait you set out there and the fight will take place in the jungle), or on top of a group fight (assuming they aren't focusing you or an AoE stacked team).

Now on to some other notes. The missile range is probably going to get nerfed eventually. It's simply too mindless to harass with his missile early on. I never played with a page full of AP, so I simply had to wait to lvl 2 missile to really lay down the harrassment. You don't even have to be facing the target to get the missile off which makes him so anti ranged carry for laning that it's sexy.

Any decent healing/life dragin shuts this down for a little though sorta.

His grenade skills is awesome. It requires a good amount of skill to be excellent with that it sets the nubs apart from the good players. The main problem with this is that it isn't even his ultimate, being a good heim is centered so much around this right now. I think this is where you need to make a break in order to really make heim viable.

My suggestion would be to make his ult lay down the turret at max level. Limit his turret max to 4, allowing 1, 1, 2, extra per level of his ult (as it is right now you max it out to get the cooldown reduction).

I have a few ideas as to what you could do with his Q, but first to exlpain why I think you should change his ult as such.

Imo, you have heim's turrets setup in a form in which they need to be upgraded in order to slow down heimer's roll early game. Starting off with 2 red turrets would be crazy, but starting off with 1 red turret (I would probably still pick missile to start to harras tbh) doesn't seem all that game breaking.

The current system works to slow heimer down early, but works too well to limit him mid-to-lategame where fights are mobile and on the spot.

This would let a heimer get a red turret down in a group fight, and a heimer with really good field awareness (or really good cooldown reduction) to get 2 off, in a group fight.

Anyhow, my suggestions for his Q and R is to have 2 seperate turrets - Have his Q setup the AoE (or lvl armor reduction turret) that will be his normal turret. Have his ult setup a turret that shoots a projectile similiar to corki's missile. A small AoE on impact, but with a small AoE explosion (would work great if you did his Q as the armor reduction turret and his R as the AoE turret).

The main thing you need to break away from is the upgrading unless you can make it so he only needs 1 turret up to be effective in a group fight.

In short, heim is a lot of fun right now. He works well in unorganized nub games. It's incredibly tough to get a game going with him because at champ select you have to plea why they should trust that you're not a complete nub with him. Make him viable, he is a great champ with a great style of play attached. Unless you are playing a really bad teamt hoguh, his turrets are a non-factor.

General Tso

01-01-2010

Those are mostly good ideas. I have always also thought that the problem was his upgrade system. You become static/stationary if you try to upgrade turrets. Using the ult to lay down one red turret is how it should be, I agree. I also think the normal turret ability should be new turret, or upgrade old turret if you click on one. It also needs a shorter CD, so you can remain vaible in team fights. ie mobile. A champ without mobility is worthless.

The only way to have mobility and thus make heimer viable as he is now, is to go AP rockets, which is no fun at all, for you and certainly not for your enemies. I want to play Heimer in a way that revolves around his turrets. It was a cool champ idea and he is boring without them.

Jadesabre

01-04-2010

absolutely completely agree with

Quote:
His grenade skills is awesome. It requires a good amount of skill to be excellent with that it sets the nubs apart from the good players. The main problem with this is that it isn't even his ultimate, being a good heim is centered so much around this right now. I think this is where you need to make a break in order to really make heim viable.