Some Alistar Feedback

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

sser

01-04-2010

Alistar is fine. He is a terrible farmer but he does not require very many items to be effective at tanking. His abilities are made to be assisting your teammates so that is where your money will be coming from.

tCOperator

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-04-2010

I honestly find that I don't buy items that are clear-cut tanking necessities anyways, unless prompted to be the other teams champ/item choices. Philosophers Stone, Berserker Boots, Sheen, Atmas, LW/Wit's End are the staple items in my build because they work so well. Mind you, I'm considering testing Heart of Gold more thoroughly, as well as the Brutalizer.

I mean, 10% CDR, some +Damage, and some armour penetration; what's not to love, at that low, low price?

GNOY

01-04-2010

Alistair is best tank, but on top of that he is very good support in fight and on lane. Maybe thats why they made his attack animation and AS so bad, just so he wont become godlike tier.

zanitonium

01-04-2010

Last hitting with alister is very important, don't auto attack, minions hit faster than you and will more than likely steal all your gold away from you.

Try movement 5 boots on alister, this will allow you to roam the map after you get your lanes tower pushed, you can set up ganks like crazy. Learn the one two punch to feed your carries champions this will net you 15 to 20 assists consitently per game.

Try not to get champ kills with alister you really only need 4 items,
Chalice, move 5 boots, atmas, and sheen.

All the rest of your gold is worthless, you can get some more fun things like added armor or magic resist, or get a zeal and then a trinity to get your movement speed even faster but really you're best off ending with stats around the area of 3/5/25 than ending 15/3/3. Alister more than most champs depends on his team and if you're stealing your carries gold you'll realise very soon that you are causing problems for your team, even if no one is yelling at you for it.
You will end up with a few accidental kills from your headbutt doing more damage than you expected, but try to control this.

Also if you are really having problems netting assits get a blitzcrank and lane with him, enjoy all the combos that come with that.

Personal fave is one two punch mid lane with blitz sitting in friendly tower range, snagging him with rocket fist and sealing with exhaust.

tCOperator

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-04-2010

I honestly prefer, in the order below (when possible), although once I get the Meki, I generally try to wait until 2.1k or 2.9k. so I can get several things at once. At 2.1k, it's the Stone, Boots and a Sapphire, at 2.9k, I get the Stone, Greaves and Sheen in one fell swoop.

Meki -> Philosoper's Stone
Berserker Greaves
Sheen
Atmas/Wit's End (opponent dependent)
Brutalizer
Last Whisper
Atma's (if I don't already have it)

Once I have the Sheen, unless it's a protracted duck-and-dodge team fight, I don't run out of mana, and I can typically have a Sheen by level 6, at the latest. Honestly, I've found that the last 15 games or so, I've had a lot of First Bloods, as well; when you Rofl-stomp a carry before the minions even arrive, due to good position and baiting, it messes with their heads in a deep and satisfying manner.

The best part is, they respond in one of 2 ways: go crazy trying to get a revenge kill, or run if I twitch in their direction. In the case of the former, they'll feed me and my lane mate, and in the latter, they permit me to push my lane with authority. In either case, I've just established control over them, and that will generally dictate the game against them.

TiberiusAudley

Adjudicator

01-05-2010

I've played Alistar extensively over the course of League of Legends' evolution.

I think he's fine as-is. His damage values are a little low, but his survivability stats are high, and he has a 6-10 second "Tank" button on a decent cooldown.

I'm only a summoner level 14 at the moment, with all my masteries spec'ed into Utility. I run Flash/Ghost (both spec'ed) as my summoner spells, and my typical build order:

Sapphire / 2 Healing Pots
Sapphire -> Sheen.
Boots -> Tabi OR Treads. (Depends on enemy makeup)
Mana Manipulator -> Soul Shroud or Locket. If things are going well, Locket. If you're falling behind, Soul Shroud.
Negatron Cloak. -> Whatever. The game shouldn't last long enough for you to get anything else, but I would recommend Abyssal as the first priority here (if your team doesn't already have one.)

With Sheen, Alistar gains two gigantic benefits early on: Damage to Enemy Champions and increased LH ability. Since his Heal gets sped up with every nearby enemy that dies, he can pretty much kill half the creep that come his way. Initiate on a creep wave with Pulverize, hit/kill a creep, Heal, kill another creep. Hit another one to drop its health. By then, another should've died. You can heal and get another kill.

If enemies are trying to be aggressive and pressure you, work with your lane partner. While you have Sheen, it's Q->Hit, W-toward-ally/tower. Hopefully your ally will have a disable to use as well. Hit them again, then cast your Heal. Hit again. That's three Sheen hits and likely a dead enemy champion.

As for skill build order, I have no standardized order. I generally try to keep Q and W equal to avoid jacking the mana costs of either one up too high, and I only level E two-three times before 15. If you're not being targeted in teamfights, take the opportunity to forego additional levels in your Ult and invest more in your Pulverize or Headbutt to deal more damage. You don't need to worry about staying alive if you're being ignored.

With this build on Alistar, there are a few priorities for what to do in team fights:

1) Try to Pulverize as many enemies at once as possible. This is a great way to initiate and generally means your team will get a head start with any AoEs.

2) Keep enemy melee disablers (Singed, Alistar, Sion) or melee damage dealers (Master Yi, Tryndamere) away. Protecting your carry is just as important as killing theirs. If your Headbutt is off cooldown, this is the better choice unless three or more enemies are stacked, in which case a Pulverize on them (and a hit on the squishiest) is the better choice.

3) Headbutt their squishy RANGED damage dealers or CASTERS toward your team. You don't want to knock a melee champion in close unless they're going to be chain disabled.

4) Spam your heal. ESPECIALLY if you have Locket. Any time it's off cooldown, cast it. If you have Locket, and no enemies are nearby, Pulverize is useful on the ground as well, since it restores mana and health to your nearby allies.

5) If your skills are on cooldown, there are two things to consider: Is your carry safe? Is an enemy carry engaging? If your carry is about to be attacked, move toward them to set up for the save. Disable the person(s) pressuring them and help damage them down. If an enemy carry is moving in toward the battle, start moving toward them. If they know your skills are on cooldown, they may stay nearby and try to fight anyway, at which point you wait for them to come off cooldown and QW-combo them. Otherwise, they'll potentially back off and you'll have succeeded at keeping some damage OUT of the fight through intimidation.

All in all, I stand by my constant assertion that Alistar is one of the best champions in the game. He has (one of) the highest skill ceiling(s), and can always make a difference between a win or a loss simply by being present in a game. Just ask Jesse Perring.

VMan7

01-05-2010

Alistar really doesn't need anything past a Locket and Boots of Mobility to be effective.

Anything else is luxury.

GNOY

01-05-2010

Wait what? Alistair through Sheen? How the **** he supposed to tank then? Fear enemies with his naked body? Jeez.

TiberiusAudley

Adjudicator

01-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNOY View Post
Wait what? Alistair through Sheen? How the **** he supposed to tank then? Fear enemies with his naked body? Jeez.
Alistar has abnormally high base stats, as well as a skill that reduces incoming damage by 70% -- calculated AFTER Armor and Magic Resist.

Furthermore, if you don't have a decent damage output, you're going to be largely ignored in higher level games, so the Sheen helps push him in the direction of "Hey, that cow is hurting me, maybe I should hit him a little earlier."

tCOperator

01-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNOY View Post
You'd be amazed how much damage you do with a Sheen, Atmas' and Berserker Greaves, especially if you stacked armour penetration runes. I could have 30 armour penetration (between runes and items) by mid-game, without serious effort, and it shocks the bejeebus out of an opponent when you're hitting them for 10-15% of their life at the start of the game.

It's called 'Aversion Tanking'. They don't want to come near you because you have a stun, an interrupt, and you hit like a giant truck.