How to play a tank?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

spreadfred

01-02-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumaca View Post
If you're not very confident in your team, I suggest avoiding Rammus or Malphite at first. They are wonderful only when your team can follow in. I say, go for Blitzcrank, Singed, or Alistar. Why? Because they have moves to isolate one opponent hero, so that your team can pummel him, and make it 5v4.

I also agree with whoever said that you don't have to kill as a tank. If you go 1-5-15, you've done your job. There's also a point in not getting the kills; you're probably going to be in the line of fire often, and if you die, they won't gain that much money as if you have a killing spree bonus attached.
even if you go 1-10-15, you're still probably doing your job pretty well

CTHDRL

01-02-2010

9 wins 2 losses so far with Nunu. Have made a few friends since yesterday as well.

Thank you guys for tips; I've still got a lot to learn, but I'm loving tanking with Nunu so far.

Took me awhile to get used to the multiple purposes of his ult, however.

I kept waiting for the enemy team to use CC so I could kill them with ulti, but then I thought.

I have 3K health; why shouldn't they waste their CC on me? And if they don't, then they are punished with my awesome ulti.

Multiple times I had 4 people use their CC on me at once in a team fight.

I almost couldn't believe it.

I should have made this thread weeks ago.

Most fun match I've had to date;

zoau

01-03-2010

most "tanks" can be played very well to do dps, maybe not as well as usual carrries, but sufficient to build for it in my ELO rank (probably very low) public games. so if you play mundo, malphite, singed etc you can scan the game and see if your teams carry ****s up or if your team does not use the opportunities you give em by tanking or enemy team is not coordinated enough to make a tank necessary you canstill go for some more damage after initial items. you need boots anyway and probably a giants belt and after 1,5k gold you probably know if you have to go tank or dmg

seresibyl

01-03-2010

Alistar is one of the better beginner tanks imo.

Heal to last early game, ult to be able to be able just to walk into team fights, etc.

I've done much better (in terms of kill to death lol) but my last game with Alistar I was 0/6/25 lol

Walk into team fight, stun, push a caster to the front etc.

The funniest thing is that casters are so afraid of being pushed back that they tend to try and move away from you, so it's another effective CC.

Emergent

01-03-2010

I end up playing the tank (usually cho) a lot, can't say I like it much. I'm not a bad player, but I'm not great either, and as tank it seems everyone always has an opinion.

One fight as mundo I was berated for not charging in. The next it was for dying too much in the late part of the game (I don't die much if any early). But being the first to move in usually nets me 5-15 deaths a game; I haven't found a way around it.

The poster early in the thread had it right about being able to judge your team's aggressiveness.

The advice in this thread has helped a lot.

XrBob

01-03-2010

I sometimes suffer from tentative tank syndrome. I typically like to play casters in games like this, but since tanks are so uncommon but still needed, I tank when nobody else wants to. I've gotten better, though I still need some work. One thing I've found that helps me is guardian angel. It is expensive, but it gives decent stats and the extra confidence is gives me is awesome. In my last game I was cho'gath and I was at half health with two other teammates starting down the opponents mid tower with 3 enemies guarding it. It was mostly a stalemate. I knew I had the guardian angel so I decided to just run in there and pound on the tower and hope my team follows through. The great part was that it worked, and I ended up just barely making it out alive and I didn't even need the revive.

That shows me that sometimes charging in is the best thing to do and that I am more durable than I thought.

Furiosa

01-03-2010

Hardest part of tanking is knowing when to die. Sometimes its better to try and get out at 100 hp and keep your ult, other times you've got to blow everything and die like a champ so your team gets the ace / so your team gets out alive. Do the first too often and your not a tank, do the latter too often and you're a feeder.

Basilisk9466

01-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by inept View Post
just gonna say that nasus isnt a tank thats probably why you find him useless

much better as a DPS with his natural lifesteal. sheen --> triforce or infinity edge depending on your rune setup (i prefer infinity for my crit dmg) and then just get GA + banshee etc the typcail bs.

hes more of a secondary tank/dps hybrid he would probably be the 2nd initiator in an ideal team
And yet... in the epic 80 minute slugfest I just came out of, where I played tank-Nasus and they had a DPS Nasus, he was marginalised while I just became increasingly dangerous. I suppose if you want to get picky, I wasn't playing a pure tank (more health stacking than armour/MR), but it certainly worked **** well. Quite apart from anything else, it means you can storm into the middle of them and fire off your ult, and you'll last a lot longer. When I got Atma's, I could suddenly kill any of the opposing team one on one, even their fully grown Cho'gath.

Furiosa

01-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basilisk9466 View Post
And yet... in the epic 80 minute slugfest I just came out of, where I played tank-Nasus and they had a DPS Nasus, he was marginalised while I just became increasingly dangerous. I suppose if you want to get picky, I wasn't playing a pure tank (more health stacking than armour/MR), but it certainly worked **** well. Quite apart from anything else, it means you can storm into the middle of them and fire off your ult, and you'll last a lot longer. When I got Atma's, I could suddenly kill any of the opposing team one on one, even their fully grown Cho'gath.
On tank Nasus going Aegis -> Trinity Force -> Banshee's / Sunfire, late game with a fully loaded syphoning strike you can do insane amounts of damage despite being a tank. It's awesome.

Evangelion

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-03-2010

Or, alternately, you could rush 4 HoG and get all of that faster than simply rushing it. Late late game, the extra gold just piles up and Nasus goes godmode. How godmode? I once played a game where I one-shotted a twitch with Siphoning Strike. Hehe... good times.