How to play a tank?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

sdjaks

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-01-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synxxx View Post
Solo queuing as a tank is just going to frustrate you. You're better off learning how to play another carry.
This. Just carry with something not so easily countered.

WhiteMantisX

01-01-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bait View Post
mundo fails as a tank in high elo.

reason: no cc, just qq.

how to describe mundo:
why nobody play mundo? is it because mundo useless?
not true If you would look at the real high ELO players you would see that Mundo is played quite common. So next time inform better before writing nonsense into the forum.

I'm a tank only player. Playing Tank in Solo-Queue is quite hard, often it will happen, that you are doing a good job but still resulting in a loss. Can be frustrating. This is because the tank alone can do nothing and needs a good carry or support mid/endgame.

Just ask someone if he teams up with you and stick together. Right now I'm playing Malphite a lot and I can tell you, that having a stun, really rocks Just focus on your abilities and not on the damage you are doing. Accept the fact, that you are not going to kill anyone if the game has a normal outcome. Sometimes you are lucky and you can get insane killstreaks, but this is due to the lack of skilled enemies then.

If you really like to get kills and your role as a carry was satisfying for you, then continue this. There are always people who like either Tank or Carry or Support. Don't try to fit yourself into a role that you don't like. I for my part don't like playing carries, too much stress, I don't like to be too offensive and too item dependent.

Mantis

General Tso

01-01-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOrius View Post
If I am facing say ashe, annie, fiddles, chogath, nunu thats a very, very, magic heavy enemy team so I need to go for the magic resist.
I would just like to point out that ashe is the most physical dps centered champ in the game. She does relatively no magic damage. If you don't get armor against her (thornmail is great), she will auto-attack you to death.

Annie and Fiddle, yes they are very high in magic. Cho can be somewhat if he's AP. Nunu does both kinds of damage, but obviously his ult is what to worry about.

How much magic damage vs. physical damage each champ does is weird, and hard to keep track of as it partially is dependant on the player's build choices. Further complicating the problem is that Riot's labels can be missleading. For example, the mage label is applied to Corki, even though he does a lot more physical damage. On the flip side, the mage label is not given to Singed, Twisted Fate or Heimerdinger even though they do a lot of magic damage.

CTHDRL

01-01-2010

I have a pretty decent grasp of the game itself; but I appreciate the reminders none the less.

And I've had a couple awesome games as tank Nunu, rushing warmogs > Frozen Heart >Thornmail.

Any more general tips about tanking or even Nunu specifically are more than welcomed and would be appreciated.

Edit; Just thought of a specific question. How much of an effect does Sorc boots have on Nunu? Considering spamming his slow = win? So far I've stuck with ninja tabi, because of all the physical DPS.

whomaster

01-01-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bait View Post
mundo fails as a tank in high elo.

reason: no cc, just qq.

how to describe mundo:
why nobody play mundo? is it because mundo useless?
you sir are a baddie. Mundo is amazing. He can get monstrous hp, and the heal he has from his ult is nowhere near as op as the move speed which people to often forget.... Cleaver + ult = GOTCHA. but then again that requires the ability to hit with cleavers and since 90% of the people who play mundo cant tie their own shoes let alone hit with cleavers he becomes useless.

PS: the reason I say his heal is not the best thing, is because recently in ever game I have seen a executioners or a tristana, both of which tell the heal to sit the fck down and look pretty.

PSS: Remember bait, its loop over loop and then through the bunny hole. Maybe next week kiddo.

PSSS: Lol I trolled you without meaning too.

-----------------------
Dude's post above mine: I actually like getting merc treads on my amumu, and on any tank really. the reducded time on slows and snares and stuns (oh my) is irreplaceable.

Patyrn

01-01-2010

It's good you want to learn how to tank, because in my experience that is what is ALWAYS lacking. I'm forced to play tank 90% of my games because I know how and no one else does.

I would suggest learning singed. Why? Because he farms as well or better than any other champ in the game, while having excellent damage and tankiness even with no items with ult up. He also offers amazing initiation. Goo -> Toss = their team is slowed and one of them is tossed right into the arms of your team.

The most important thing about being a tank, is that you protect whoever on your team is the most damaging. (That's often not your carry until late game). You really want to get in their face and make them have to attack you.

I'll give you a singed mini-guide to get you started:

Regrowth Pendant:
Boots (depending on enemy team, tabi or merc)
Catalyst (mana part first)
RoA
Force of Nature/Frozen heart (order depends on enemy team)

That's your base build, after that point it's very game specific. You might get a banshees veil, a guardian angel, or even a soulstealer. Spec 9/0/21 or 0/9/21. Use ghost and flash. Remember when you're trying to kill someone to run-hit-run-hit-run-hit. You need to get ahead of them for poison, but your auto attack damage is excellent with ult up.

The bad news is that a tank is worthless without a decent team to back him up, and you will end up looking like a scrub if you initiate, and no one engages.

Patyrn

01-01-2010

Quote:
you sir are a baddie. Mundo is amazing. He can get monstrous hp, and the heal he has from his ult is nowhere near as op as the move speed which people to often forget.... Cleaver + ult = GOTCHA. but then again that requires the ability to hit with cleavers and since 90% of the people who play mundo cant tie their own shoes let alone hit with cleavers he becomes useless.
Mundo is indeed amazing. He is the strongest low level hero in the game. With no dps items he still does awesome damage. His ult lets him pull off a ton of kills no one else could as well as never needing to go back to fountain.

All that said, I don't consider him a tank. I don't think he's a very good main tank because he lacks any good team disable. I think his role is more a support hero (cleaver spam can really chop up a team before a fight breaks out, and he's great at mopping up). He also adds a lot of meat to your team besides your main tank, while still putting out great damage.

So yeah, in summary, mundo is good, but not a good main tank.

Bait

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-01-2010

executioner is good on all physical attackers.

executioner = mundo's ult is useless
lack of cc = mundo's tanking is useless

inept

01-02-2010

just gonna say that nasus isnt a tank thats probably why you find him useless

much better as a DPS with his natural lifesteal. sheen --> triforce or infinity edge depending on your rune setup (i prefer infinity for my crit dmg) and then just get GA + banshee etc the typcail bs.

hes more of a secondary tank/dps hybrid he would probably be the 2nd initiator in an ideal team

Lumaca

01-02-2010

If you're not very confident in your team, I suggest avoiding Rammus or Malphite at first. They are wonderful only when your team can follow in. I say, go for Blitzcrank, Singed, or Alistar. Why? Because they have moves to isolate one opponent hero, so that your team can pummel him, and make it 5v4.

I also agree with whoever said that you don't have to kill as a tank. If you go 1-5-15, you've done your job. There's also a point in not getting the kills; you're probably going to be in the line of fire often, and if you die, they won't gain that much money as if you have a killing spree bonus attached.