[Guide] Tristana - BOOM HEADSHOT!

123456 ... 7
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RadJacob

12-31-2009

Yah, still dont like the boots of swiftness. I think i'd rather have beserkers, mercs, or ninjas before I'd get boots of swiftness. Agree to disagree I guess :P

I don't really have a problem positioning myself in lane - if you slip up and get in a bad spot, you have rocket jump to escape. I tried getting ghost instead of tp for a while and didn't find the extra movement speed that useful, so I ended up switching back. Rarely will that tiny bit of extra speed from boots make a difference for a buster shot or in a battle. It could help chasing someone down, but that's generally why I get a phange/mallet by mid-late game.

Also, I rate beserkers highly because I like 25% ias for general farming purposes (but they do help a bit in fights too). It's hard to quantify, but there is no doubt in my mind that beserkers will get you a good deal more gold per game and help you get your other items faster.

Flashfires

01-01-2010

I would never recommend Boots of Swiftness for Tristana, there are way too many other effects to be gained from boots rather than a movement speed 3. You'll already be able to catch anyone the same speed as you with Rocket Jump and any threat significantly faster than you (Rammus, Yi w/ Highlander) won't care if you have IMS 2 or IMS 3.

The reason Vampiric Scepter is a good starting item is because the others have no purpose at all later. Doran's is a wasted item that you sell back in the end, the Vampiric Scepter, while admittedly not as strong a survivability item as Doran's Shield or Regrowth Pendant, is more than enough against all but the highest harassment (such as Kat) in the solo and in a duo-lane you should be able to coordinate well enough with a teammate to not need any extra healing before you have enough gold for the first trip back.

Executioner's is another reason Vampiric Scepter is good, the faster you get this item against a healing lane the better off you are and it's only like 900g after the Vampiric instead of the 1350g you would have to use if you bought a Doran's starter. I take less issue with a Long Sword start, but I find building Infinity Edge quickly increases your mid-game potential so a Long Sword has less viability to me simply because I don't like Black Cleaver as much as other damage items.

Skill-wise jump serves more purpose than Explosive Shot. A high rank jump clears a creep wave faster than your explosive shot and it also scales better for early ganking, 45 extra damage per rank compared to 25 (+.1 AP) extra damage per rank. I think the trade-off on killing creep is worth the mana spent on Jump as I often find myself with Golem buff and you gain more early damage (somewhat balancing the complaint the early items don't offer enough damage).

MeanBean

01-01-2010

Malady as your first offensive item is perfectly viable. It basically increases your damage output by ~30% (ignoring the attack speed you get as well), even if you are the only one hitting a hero with it. Even better if someone else is attacking with you.

Would like to add that the cleaver is just as good against squishies as tanks because the armor can go negative.

RadJacob

01-01-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashfires View Post

Skill-wise jump serves more purpose than Explosive Shot. A high rank jump clears a creep wave faster than your explosive shot and it also scales better for early ganking, 45 extra damage per rank compared to 25 (+.1 AP) extra damage per rank. I think the trade-off on killing creep is worth the mana spent on Jump as I often find myself with Golem buff and you gain more early damage (somewhat balancing the complaint the early items don't offer enough damage).
You should be saving rocket jump as your primary escape option or as attack initiator on a hero that gets too close, not wasting your mana and cd farming with it. Any competent lane opponent(s) will punish you immediately if you try to use rocket jump to farm in front of them.

You will get more kills if you save your mana to perform a full combo, way less deaths if you have rocket jump available as an escape, and high level explosive shot clears creep waves faster than rocket jump assuming you are a decent last hitter (and works on every wave without wasting mana/escape cd).

Flashfires

01-04-2010

Bumped for great justice. (And an item build update.)

Flashfires

01-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadJacob View Post
You should be saving rocket jump as your primary escape option or as attack initiator on a hero that gets too close, not wasting your mana and cd farming with it. Any competent lane opponent(s) will punish you immediately if you try to use rocket jump to farm in front of them.

You will get more kills if you save your mana to perform a full combo, way less deaths if you have rocket jump available as an escape, and high level explosive shot clears creep waves faster than rocket jump assuming you are a decent last hitter (and works on every wave without wasting mana/escape cd).
Upgrading Jump lowers the CD and besides the lane opponent should be scared ****less when you jump towards them, in general they usually back the **** off when it happens. Nothing clears a creep wave faster than a jump followed by an autoattack or two to explode everything. Upgrading explosive shot just isn't worth it when you consider increased damage and CDR on your escape and initiation skill. Jumping a creep wave isn't something you can do all the time this is true, but you should have plenty of pushing power with just two ranks of Explosive Shot and proper last hitting even if you don't Jump.

Flashfires

01-07-2010

bump

Tarion

01-07-2010

Having played against Flashfires, I can say that the build works nicely.

Trist/Trist mirror match down the middle and my team got stomped. Still, I got the first blood ;-)

Was a pleasure playing against you

Khajeh

01-15-2010

Does Trist's explosive shot stack with executioner's giving 100% healing reduction or maybe 75%?

Togoland

01-28-2010

I find that if you focus on your E spell, that you can farm well enough to push Executioners calling and boots early, then buy BF. I'm thinking about going pickaxe before bf sword though, since I do find my dps waning when I'm holding 1300-1400 gold. Farming and a few early game ganks can get you a lot of cash.

The thing that you may forget is that calling is cheap, and gives a good crit chance boost, which has helped me get early game kills. I can generally get both executioners calling and boots before lvl 8 and start saving up for damage items. You just need to be good at last hits, play aggressive, and that active to the E spell and the DOT from it need to be used often.

Vamp Scepter
Build Executioners Calling
Boots of Swiftness
BF Sword
Build Infinities Edge
Black Cleaver
Phantom Dancer
6th slot...Whatever you feel you need most

I agree with priority on W and E, but your guide has Trist playing the coward in the endgame. If you are agressive enough early and rack up some kills, Thrist can kill an entire team on her own.

123456 ... 7