Why do we do reworks?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

banthor11

01-16-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoB0b View Post
...I actually disagree with this one. I played the old Karma...thought she was fun, and originally was in the same camp as most old karma players. Then I gave her a try, just for fun....and went 10/0, with the enemy team never even getting me below 40%. I like the look...her kit works a bit more fluidly now, and she's certainly not in a bad place.
The problem with the karma rework is multifaceted. I'll agree that the new karma is viable, but at what cost? Multiple unique kit mechanics were lost and play style reversed from reactive to outright aggression. Her kit now isn't too far off from what you'd expect from a LeBlanc player going support in bottom lane in season 3.

Honestly, the reason new karma works is because she got buffed and tweaked a fair bit after release. Old Karma didn't even see balance tweaks make it to the test realm for over a year or more, then got reworked rather quickly, hit test, then pushed out without much consideration to what was being said on test forums. Would it really have hurt to just make her leash do a %of the damage to the target while the tether did the full amount? (W being unusable for 1v1 damage was a major problem for her kit)

I've long gotten over the mess that was the karma rework, and its good that some people now enjoy her. I just wish she had gotten treated more like Heimerdinger did with lots of back-and-forth with developers on what people wanted from him and what they thought of the changes they were thinking about doing.

MeinSchnitzel

01-16-2014

Is there anything planned for Alistar?

Pangrine

01-16-2014

I can see the Soraka rework now....

Passive: Some sort of on-hit passive
Q- Damage
W-Shield
E-More Damage
R- Heal has been weakened by probably around half, now adds a shield as well....or maybe they just give her more damage.

Bam, another "utility mage/support" hybrid and Riot never has to worry about her again.

questir

01-16-2014

Are rioters gonna keep making threads for feedback when a champions has a rework planned like Yorick, Skarner, Rengar, etc had? Because from what i understand Warwick's rework has begun but i don't see any thread of the Rioter taking care of the rework asking for our feedback

Mandaari

01-16-2014

How does the size of the rework correlate to the time it takes? Like a single ability vs a kit rework.

Mokkun

01-16-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotScruffy View Post
Our goal is to make the kit fit the champion more, not less. One of the first things that we do when starting a rework is say "what is this champion about?" "what is their role?" "what are their strengths and weaknesses?" Then from that we try to improve the kit in a direction that further supports the identity of the champion.
The problem with this of course is that often what gives a champion its identity, and what makes the fanbase like them, are exactly what make them problematic, and Riot has both a history, and a stated intent, to destroy such features of a champion.

Poppy may be the biggest example of this. From what's been put out by Riot before, her passive and her ult are likely to get the axe. Her passive and her ult are what make Poppy, Poppy. Riot(I think it was Morello, but I'd have to dig the thread back out) put out a concept that they thought her wall smash was what made her Poppy. Her wall smash is below her Q(her Q being pretty high) in her identity. The only thing less a part of her is her W.
Riot seems completely willing to decide on their own, what they think makes a champion unique/identifiable, with no regards to what actually does, if it helps them justify destroying that champion's theme. It's when you realize that Riot is going to remove all prior identity to "modernize" a champion, that one wishes they would rather leave a champion weak, then do the equivalent of removing them from the game permanently, and putting something else in their place.

Firefang Warwick

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-16-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by questir View Post
Are rioters gonna keep making threads for feedback when a champions has a rework planned like Yorick, Skarner, Rengar, etc had? Because from what i understand Warwick's rework has begun but i don't see any thread of the Rioter taking care of the rework asking for our feedback
Really depends if the Rioter wants community feedback or not.

Zenon (who is doing Warwick's rework) has posted loads of information regarding Warwick on his twitter.

Jasiwel

01-16-2014

What is the status of Mordekaiser? I'm simply curious because I know many consider his kit to be as outdated as WW's.

CupcakeTrap

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-16-2014

Quote:
We're working on some more Taric changes that I think you will like. A new ultimate to be more specific.
I think the Taric ult is a neat idea; the power could be made less "invisible" with some better sound effects.

That said, I've been a fan of prior Taric changes, and so I trust this will also be an improvement. I love the tanky paladin character who makes his team both tougher and more fabulous.

How do you (and the design team) "see" Taric? What's his theme to you, that you're going to try to enhance with this rework?

I see him as an off-tank who gets some of his tankiness through healing, and is rewarded for going toe-to-toe with more healing. If all tanks need a "threat" to make enemies target them, then his "threat" is primarily "until you kill me, I'm going to keep my wounded allies in the fight" and perhaps also "and I'll stick to you and lock you down."

HailSing

01-16-2014

Quote:
We're working on some more Taric changes that I think you will like. A new ultimate to be more specific.
Please make a Talric skin where he uses a sword instead