Are you an expert with data, have game design sense and want to join Riot?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

01-17-2014
40 of 41 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmySquirrel View Post
So kind of a whatever your preference is and whatever you want to use to get the job done in a timely fashion?
Basically We can get you whatever software you need, all that matters are that the outcomes are insightful and accessible.

Maximum Jarvan

01-17-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
Looks like I was wrong. We're only looking for Senior Creative Designers right now, and here's the job description:

http://www.riotgames.com/careers/sen...ative-designer
Sadly that job requires things I don't have. And my Rito dreams are crushed. I have the passion and love of games that you guys want which is why I asked about shoutcasting since that one is not as paper bound. Thanks anyways. I appreciate the time you put in to answer my questions at least....

ArmySquirrel

01-17-2014

Hmmm... maybe I'll shoot you off my resume, too. I've been working EDI at a kinda mid-sized health insurance clearinghouse for the last five years, I mostly handled all the responses and report parsing from machine readable to human readable. It involves a lot of automated figuring out which response goes to which claim, and quite a bit of SQL in Oracle to analyze the data when it doesn't work. Right now I'm generating batch matching statistics for the month of November by request, though I used Java for it, which is kinda why I asked. I mean, I like my job well enough, don't get me wrong, but as an avid gamer... yeaaaah, this is kinda the difference between "good job" and "my f***ing dream job". <.< If you think it's a good idea, I could update my resume this weekend.

Linna Excel

01-17-2014

I'm not an expert with data (I can barely use excel atm) but I'm willing to learn. Is that good enough?

Fang0r

01-20-2014

If you're still interested,
http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com....php?t=4212596

Copycat Sphinx

01-20-2014

what section of riot handles the math behind the the MMR system? would that be your division as well?

IlyaK1986

01-21-2014

This looks like an interesting position. My only qualm is that I'm a heavy R user, but haven't used much database querying in my professional life, so my SQL skills are quite rusty. MS statistics out of Rutgers (3.81 GPA).

Some questions lingering in my mind about LoL are:

If we were to make a heatmap of win percentage with the percentage gold lead by the winning team and the time the game has gone on, what would that look like? That is, considering both teams start off at equal gold at 0 time passed, the win rate would obviously be 50%, and as the gold lead increases, then obviously the win rate will increase, perhaps up to a point in which the game goes on long enough that a team can have a 20% gold lead, but because the game has gone on so long, that it doesn't matter because everyone has completed builds.

What percentage of the game involves at least one champion in combat with another champion? I believe MOBAs have a somewhat similar issue to the NFL, on a smaller scale. In the NFL, the actual time spent making plays live is 11 minutes. So for a three hour game (such as the upcoming Broncos Vs. Seahawks Super Bowl), although it will last for several hours, the time the ball spends live is actually 11 minutes. What's the proportion of that in a typical game of LoL?

Can we better predict player skill than simply by wins and losses? Speaking from personal experience, playing ARAM, there's only so much you can do when one of your teammates decides to walk into every single poke instead of stay behind tower while the Janna waveclears. Can we get better understanding of player contributions, through such metrics as: "Damage dealt per life" (EG: You dealt 30,000 damage to enemy champions, you died 9 times, so on average, you dealt 3,000 damage per life), damage taken per life, and so on. Is there a certain association between per-life metrics and ELO? What about per champion (there should be some sort of association--after all, we expect more damage per life from an ADC, more damage taken per life from a jungler, top-laner, or all-in support).

Is toxicity more prevalent at lower ELOs? Should be a rather simple question to answer.

Do certain champions have typically good matchups against certain other champions (and bad matchups against others). For instance, Voyboy completely obliterated an enemy Yasuo with Akali, but would he suffer more against, say, a Diana? (Probably not...buff Diana plox!)

Also, I absolutely love ARAM, and I hope to drum up ARAM support.

And as a bit of trivia, I have some history with Phreak from back in our WCR days =P. Nice to see him doing well =)

ShaidyAdvice

02-03-2014

@Lyte I actually just applied for this position and after stumbling upon this thread and seeing that it's with the player behavior team I'm even more excited. Here's hoping HR recognizes that a physics PhD possesses the desired skill set.

Just Mid

02-03-2014

I might be able to pass the background check. Is that good enough?

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

02-04-2014
41 of 41 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaidyAdvice View Post
@Lyte I actually just applied for this position and after stumbling upon this thread and seeing that it's with the player behavior team I'm even more excited. Here's hoping HR recognizes that a physics PhD possesses the desired skill set.
Good luck, hope to see you in a panel!