Are you an expert with data, have game design sense and want to join Riot?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PrefaceOfTheGods

01-16-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
I believe our Creative Writing team is hiring, you'd have to check the Careers page. That's the team that does work on the lore.

For shoutcasting, you'd have to apply to the relevant position in eSports.
Wait

The creative writing team is hiring!?

Could we get a bit more information on that? I'm not sure if it would still be open when I get published, but it's still something I'd be interested in.

Caustic Crusader

01-16-2014

I wish I was actually an employable age with qualifications, I'm actually decent with statistics and data and all that good stuff.

deathmage390

01-16-2014

hey lyte i am very interested in computer programming and further into video game design i am currently in colledge.

i was hoping you could point someone in the design team twoards this post. http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com...3#post44471423

it is a idea for how to balance Evelynn's kit without changing to much.

a basic idea is to make her invis a toggle skill that costs mana (but technically infinite duration) that become mana efficient as you put points into the skill.

it would switch with Dark frenzy which is her MS booster which then becomes her passive.

finally her ult and E would switch putting the shield part of the ult on ravage and increasing its damage. aditionaly making the aoe (and damage) on her old ult lower.

miamibadboi

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-16-2014

Lyte do you guys use STATA or similar programs (SAS, ect.) to analyse big data?

Doctor Tam

01-16-2014

I applied to the Data Scientist, graduate internship; wouldn't this be very similar?

Mishaila

01-16-2014

Hey Lyte,

I'm currently on my last year of college with BS computer engineering degree scheduled to graduate on December 2014 (spin-off of electrical). I'm well versed in MATLAB, C, and C++. And currently taking artificial intelligence with R. I've taken courses in probabilities & statistics for EE and few other software classes (data structure, operating systems, security, etc. etc.), if that matters.

Personally, I have not done any data analysis yet but very interested in this type of work. What's your take on my case?

Thanks in advance

PS. Would it be possible to obtain dataset that isn't available to public if I decide to do my capstone project on data analysis (machine learning)? Along with some guidance?

blindworld

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-16-2014

Hi Lyte,

Out of curiosity, do you ever hire anyone who has no experience with League of Legends? My fiancÚ is a statistics nerd (degree in mathematics), has a lot of experience with big data and modeling in the medical field but has never actually played League of Legends. I have no idea what she's talking about most of the time, but I know she has experience in R and SQL, some knowledge of Hadoop, and loves modeling and regression analysis. We have frequent discussions about game theory (she's a board gamer) and she her typical response to losing (especially on kickstarter purchases) is something along the lines of "Did they even run Monte Carlo simulations on this game?!"

FrozenXylaphone

01-16-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
It's critical for this position because we need someone who can break down a problem space or question, determine the right techniques or methodologies to employ, then actually run the analyses themselves and generate the reports in plain English.
Thanks. After looking around the link you gave, Game Designer or Technical Designer is probably a better fit for me. Machine Learning is interesting to me but I am not a big statistics person. I always dreamed of working on a game since I was little kid playing my NES Wizard and Warriors and have dabbled here and there. Ultimately I got a job close to home though (no game companies here; well there was one but it went under).

Apocalypsicl

01-16-2014

Lyte,

I'm very intrigued by this position. I'm currently the director of institutional research a 4-year college. I basically analyze student, faculty, and staff data and prepare dashboards and reports based on that data in order to inform decision making for the senior team.

To see an example of my statistical reasoning (note that I intentionally left out the mathy talk), see this ancient post:

http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com...t=apocalypsicl

Here are a couple of analyses I would be interested in running if I worked for you guys:

1) To what degree do players honor "calling" in a game lobby?

I would look at all game lobbies where the message "adc" (or other similar messages like "ad" or "adc please") and look at the percentage of games where they (the first player to "call" adc) end up playing the only adc in the game.

I would then see how this percentage varied by:
Actual pick order (was this person 2nd pick, 3rd pick, etc.)
Elo (of individual, or average of team)
Over time (are people less likely to "honor" pick order now vs season 1)

2) Does a team's initial attitudes (as defined by the messages in lobby and in first 2 minutes of game) affect win-rate?

The "team attitude score" could be gauged according to the use of words and phrases that are known to lead to positive reports for individual players. So, the use of words like "gl hf," "fill," "thanks," "sure," would increase a team's attitude score, and words that get censored and other words like "feed," "suck," "don't" etc. would contribute toward a negative team attitude score.

I would then run a logistic regression to see if Team A's (chosen randomly) attitude gap (calculated as Team A's attitude score - Team B's attitude score) could predict a win.

If this effect did exist (and I bet it would), what could it mean?
Well, maybe every game lobby should have a tiny delay of being able to enter a chat, and the first message that would appear in the chatbox would be "Riot Team: Good luck, and have fun!" This may prompt a positive mindset before any messages are typed.

Should I apply? (I know, a stupid question)

mikier82nd

01-16-2014

I have no schooling but I've played with my uncles equipment and he taught me a thing or two i wish i had the money for schooling I'd love to have a job in the gaming industry. I have all the respect for Riot I see to many games that need fixing that I know I can fix but its not about the game its about the money for most. But not Riot ty for the great game league of legends