[Guide] Kassidan - Cthulu Darth Vader - with AP!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DemonAlcohol

08-28-2009

I'm new to DOTA type games and this one in particular, but I've found Kassidan to be my favorite character so far. I start with the Regrowth pendant, harass and return to get the philosipher stone. Then three of the +ap +gold swords. After that, I get the +ap boots, followed by frozen heart and then +ap gear.

I play him with high damage, hit and run tactics. The frozen heart really helps out, allowing you to cast a spells back to back. It's almost funny how easy it is to kill a single (non-tank) enemy. Between slowing them down, silencing them and allowing to teleport to both keep up and damage them, Kassidan plays like an assassin mage for me.

Kimmy Gibler

08-29-2009

Just played a game with one of these builds. Gotta say getting the Tear is the most important thing to start with. After that I got 2x Lucky Picks, boots, soulstealer, lich bane, archangel's, and then the dang ring that put me at 676 ap. Pretty broken, I'm glad someone figured out a better way to build him up. Thanks!

Mystic Bonez

09-01-2009

Ive been using Kassadin quite often lately. I used a build where I actually try to take the early game lead. The build i use pretty much resembles a philosophers stone. The early game health and mana regen makes me able to spam abilities and be able to get force pulse often more often. and almost back to back. Also, you are able to stay in the lane for much longer while almost continuously being offensive. the most recent game I was in I went 17/1 in the first 15 mins. =)
the item build i use is the same though.

SmecssRaege

09-01-2009

i use a build extremely similar to:

BUILD 2
Tear of the Godess - More mana per spell cast. Wonderful, Kass has 2 low cooldown low cost spells! Once you get this, don't be afraid to spam your spells, keep raising your mana pool!
Boots As above.
Mejai's Soulstealer As above.
Finish getting Archangels Staff - Turns your large mana pool into more AP!
Then get Rod of Ages or Banshee's or Rylai's and Scepter as above.

except i've only played kassadin once, so i wasnt sure on his killing potential, so i skipped out on mejai's.

i DID go: tear of goddess>boots>rod of ages>sorc boots>archangels>zhonyas.

when i play kasa again, i WILL go:
tear of goddess>boots>mejai's>rod of ages>sorc boots>archangels>zhonyas

my reasoning for this:

call it a personal feeling....but i think at mid game, rod of ages is a MUCH better choice than archangels staff.

because you aren't really sitting on a huge mana pool until later game.

Now assume you go : TotG > boots > mejais > archangels.... at the point you get this...you are probably only sitting on 1.5k>2k mana... giving archangels bonus maybe 30-40dmg
(Better results after a longer period of time, but NOT based on the time acquired)

Now assume you go : TotG > boots > mejais > rod of ages.... at the point you get this... you are
now sitting on a larger HEALTH pool, which is pretty important for kassadin AND since you got rod of ages earlier in the game, you will get a larget benefit out of the item

now im not sure of the exact prices... but i think TotG into archangels is still a pretty hefty cost of about 1700-1900, so at that point dump an extra 500 (which doesnt take long to get with force pulse/teleport) and get the rod of ages, to get the bonus ticking up... < + the mana cap helps to just amplify the effect of archangels passive 2% mana>AP (since u still have the other passive effect of 4 mana per cast cuz of TotG)

just my 2 cents i guess, but if somebody can argue otherwise and convince me otherwise, i'm always open to changing to the better route ^_^

(i also use that exact item line on basically every caster i play at this point, because i feel it's just all around universally useful....only difference is that ill trade out the early TotG for a philopher's stone on longer cooldown casters like veigar/ryze etc. and just skip the archangels staff and opt to go for a faster abyssal scepter/zhonyas)

Vanille Beer

09-05-2009

Nice guide! I recently started playing with Kassidan myself. I just love teleporting, albeit while nuking an opponent to his death or flying through a forest. It is all highly amusing. I myself like to begin with a regrowth pendant 'cos it enables me to stay at my lane longer. When in my lane I spend most of the time harassing the opposing champion. Unless I see their health regenerate, then I switch to one-hitting creeps. After I have gathered enough gold I'll buy Philosopher's Stone. Maybe buy saphhire crystal to start my Tear of the Godess. After that I'll go Sorcerer's Shoes (although I sometimes skip the shoes altogether if I feel that I can already kill champions), Mejai's Soulstealer, Archangels Staff and dependent of how good the opponent is a Rod of Ages or Rylai's Scepter. Whatever I buy after that is mostly redundant, as the opponent usually is already forced to defend.

I have one question though. You were talking about a Golem buff. What is that? It isn't an equip is it?

Engarde

Adjudicator

09-05-2009

If you kill the ancient golem in forest, you get a temporary buff that gives you alot of mana regen and CD reduction.

Foreshadowed

09-05-2009

Uh...? You should rank up sphere so you can harass.

My build

Faerie Charm/Mana Crystal Hp/Mana pot
Tears
Boots Swiftness or Sorc
Soulstealer
Sheen>Lichbane
Rod of Ages or Zonya's Ring

I dont bother upgrading Tears just because I can get golem buff after I get my Soulstealer.

kijik

09-06-2009

this guide is money, that is all, I just about follow it to the T. I disagree with maxing sphere first tbh, because if you know how to farm well you can get some pretty high AP early, and since Pulse has a 1:1 AP ratio its easy to gank and kill with it compared to sphere, ntm with the shorter cooldown, if you're in team fights often enough you'll cast it more than sphere. Besides that lvl 1 sphere is perfectly fine to harass with, and the opponent wont get scared as quick, thus allowing you to blink and kill quickly.
My item build,.
Regrowth->Phil stone
Metaj rush if you can, if not then Sorc.
then Rod of Ages
Lichbane
The magic resist negator thing
Zhonya's should be grabbed if you ever find yourself able to farm up the 3.9k or so in one go out, if not then get it at the end of the build.
Archangels goes in there somewhere I think >_>
but yeah....
Kass is win, and thank you to the guide author for showing me how to build him right =D

Engarde

Adjudicator

09-06-2009

Thanks for all the feedback guys, the only downside is people are now good at him!

Vanille Beer

09-06-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by kijik View Post
I disagree with maxing sphere first tbh, because if you know how to farm well you can get some pretty high AP early, and since Pulse has a 1:1 AP ratio its easy to gank and kill with it compared to sphere, ntm with the shorter cooldown, if you're in team fights often enough you'll cast it more than sphere. Besides that lvl 1 sphere is perfectly fine to harass with, and the opponent wont get scared as quick, thus allowing you to blink and kill quickly.
Exactly, someone finally gets it! By keeping your Sphere at level 1 opposing champions will think that you aren't much of a threat when they get hit. But you are secretly becoming a huge threat by leveling Pulse. And as soon as you get Rift they can kiss their asses goodbye. Blink into them, use Pulse and they'll start.. well what seems like crawling and finally finish them off with a few sword swings and a Sphere. This brings me to a very wise lesson: never underestimate the power of Kassadin (Vader).

And thanks, Engarde. I'll be sure to kill the Ancient Golem in the future. I think I actually got the buff once or twice already. But I just never realised where it came from. =P