ELO math inventor reproved in Math.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

EbonyKnife

01-14-2011

Because when you lost, you lost to people with lower elo, when you managed to win, you won against people with lower ELO.

If you win against higher ELO it should give you an increase in rating that is higher than if you win against lower ELO.

Febo Apolo

01-16-2011

i play an akali and i can carry until late game, everyone catch up and i can only isnta kill squishysm then if my team doesnt do something its pretty much game

ZeMacaco

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-16-2011

Whis works if i'm the feeder. When i'm the only one positive, begging team to not JUMP INTO TRAPS OR PUSH UNTIL GET TRAPPED. They just do it. they just TRY TO GANK in a 15/60 game, or even try to dive on that game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonii3 View Post
1. Please don't use the term "ELO hell" if you don't know what it means.
1200 ELO is far from being ELO hell. Many people think that 1400 is average ELO, but in reality, that's just what you start at. That does not mean that is average ELO
2. CLOSELY examine yourself, the players you are playing with, and the players you are playing against.
At the end of every death, think to yourself, What did I do that led to my death. Do not blame it on your teammates, try to think of something that you could have done better. I'm not saying it wasn't your teams fault, but seriously try to improve yourself.
Look at your team. Do they have a similar number of leaves? are they close to your level with a close number of wins? If they are, than the ELO is matching you to your team perfectly. Also remember, there is fluctuation. I am level 30 but I know level 20's that are better than me. Just because this person is 2 levels below you doesn't mean your ELO doesn't match your skill. Also, look at your enemies. Do they have the same characteristics I mentioned to look for as your teammates? maybe they were having a good day.
3. Realize that you are "SOLO" queing
Solo queing was never meant to be a method of playing that would let you win every time. It was meant to match you so that you won close to the same number of games that you lose. Based on your 50/50, it sounds to me like riot is doing a great job.
4. We ALL play with bad players
There will always be bad players in this game, and due to everyone starting at 1400 ELO, it takes awhile for people to get into their correct ELO bracket. This is one of many reasons for seeing players of very low skills in your game. Some people have more fun pretending to be morons than playing the right way. Some people are just having a bad day. Some people are just so against playing practice games they feel the need to try new champs in normal games. I don't agree with any of these things, but some people are just like that.
5. It's not all Riot's fault.
In ANY game there will always be noobs. There will always be people who ragequit, feed, and generally degrade the game. While Riot can do things to ease the number of these noobs, they will always be there and we will be forced to learn to play with them. In a team based game like this especially, it is VERY easy to blame your teammates for something that was really your fault
TL;DR
Go back to kiddygarden and learn2read, then come back. kthanksbye

Liebesträume3

02-17-2011

Lol there's nothing to fix. You belong at that rating because you make mistakes. Suck it up and get better rather than making barely coherent posts disrespecting Arpad Elo.

BlkZen

02-18-2011

I've just started playing ranked and let me tell you, people blow at this game. It's amazing how bad they are even after playing hundreds of games. Literally just got done play ranked solo queue with 7/1/11, pushed three towers, avoided three aces and people still had the nerve to blame me for losing. Riot why did I lose ELO in this game? Isn't my ELO supposed to represent my individual skill level, not the skill level of 4 random dueshbags?

Sofear

02-22-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuglea View Post
ya i'v had about 5 Leaves EVER and just had 7th game in a row with afk/leaver ... -.- Riot fix this.
wow. u must have been in my game,

iv got like 5 leaves total ever!.

1st ranked game public solo. win, 2nd, leaver, 3rd, leaver (but this one was the best, @ 4 minutes the guy said. "oops chores gtg" . .. admiration to commitment but hey. comon!!!

Lin Aldo

02-22-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitix View Post
Part of the problem is attempting to calculate ELO for a single player from a random team vs. random team situation. The rating system was never designed for such a situation.
What this guy said.

ELO was designed for things like fighting games and strategy games where your own personal skill is the criteria for matching you against opponents. It also expands well to encompass games with a large number of players per side. If you're playing a shooter that's 12v12 or 16v16, the overall variance of ELO within each team is negligible.

The problem is games with small teams - between, say, 3 and 8 players. Each individual is expected to contribute to the whole. However, very high and very low ELO players are rare since everyone tends toward the average.

Functionally, this means that as you get better and your ELO gets higher, you're increasingly likely to get matched with a bunch of scrubs because there aren't enough people of your actual skill level around to form a game. As you get worse, you're matched with increasingly skilled teammates to compensate for your lack of skill.

In short, if you want to get into a skilled team in a random queue, you're better off losing a ton of games to dump your ELO so you're matched with better players. This is true until the competitive scene develops to the point where there are consistently active players in the upper ELO ranges. However, ELO is designed to prevent this from happening.

I was actually just ranting about this on hoursplayed.com but it's good to know other people have noticed the same thing. I had the same problem with Global Agenda - I got very good at the game and started getting matched to teams I was expected to carry, which is basically impossible.

Deikan

02-24-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by uzsibox View Post
Just reset elo.
Dont let soloranked under 500 games (normal+ranked thus far) .
Make tuts that do help like shurelia did with her zoning guide.
Resetting ELO is okay but your second suggestion is absurd.
Some people are just good at this game, and some people come to LoL after years of DotA so they already have a good foundation to work from.

I have around 230 games total and i'm 1500+ elo doesn't mean I shouldn't get to play.

xFingersx

02-27-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeanorAlmighty View Post
If you lose after you win, you will lose more ELO than if you win after a loss.
Why would you lose ELO if you win after you lose in the first place....

Sythion

02-28-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeMacaco View Post
WHY I'M WITH THAT KIND OF PLAYERS?
Because you're also playing against "that kind of players" and you still lose more than you win.

Or are you one of those fools with their heads up their bum that thinks everyone on the other team is always good, and everyone on your team is bad?