Best rune set?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nieco

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-29-2009

What is the best rune set for every character ??
(mark,glyph.seal and quintessence runes )

thanks~

Kelin

12-30-2009

glyphs (blue) = cooldown ( I like /level, cheaper and stronger)
Quenteces = Health
seals (yellow) = health/dodge
Marks (red) = Ain't no best for all champs. Armor pen/magic pen, you just have to buy both for overall usefulness.

XrBob

12-30-2009

I concur. Decide whether you like doing damage by autoattacks or by abilities more, carries or casters. Get one penetration set first and then the other for the 2nd rune page and switch based on which champ you are playing that round. Otherwise the quint, yellow, and blue sets will do wonders.

Purutzil

12-30-2009

Overall I'd go

Blue - CD per Level (almost every hero this comes out being useful, though some heroes might not recieve as much benefit as others)
Yellow - Dodge/Health (Good for all)
Red - Varies. Crit Damage for most carries. Armor/Magic Penetration. MR/Armor (in cases you won't invest on one item to give any)
Quint - Varies as well. Health Runes are very good for all characters in general. More specific ones can be gained depending on the character. CD reduction per level quint are really good here too in general for most characters as well.

Holypope

12-30-2009

its best to find synergies. stacking any one thing isn't usually a best approach, with the exception of cooldown reduction

10% cooldown reduction with 100 dps through abilities= 111dps.

20% cooldown reduction with 100 dps through abilities = 125dps

40% cooldown reduction with 100 dps through abilities = 166dps

however attack speed works the opposite way, as does crit chance, damage, crit damage, etc... Those items are usually best used as a blend. 10% crit chance + 10% attack speed is better than 20% of either.

armor/magic pen can be a little weird, as it knocks flat amounts off of enemy armor. oddly enough, this matters most with lightly armored opponents. 20 armor pen will increase your dps by 20% vs a character with only 20 armor, but only 5% vs someone with 100 armor.

personally, I find mana regen runes to be essential in almost every game. they're my must-have, regardless of me building dps, defense, cooldown, or whatever.

hit point/mana runes tend to be cool up front (at least if you're getting ganked a lot), but barely matter past the first 10 minutes, as by then the HP bonus is trivial in relation to incoming DPS.

Rydog

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

12-30-2009

These runes are consistently stacked by a lot of high-end players:

Red: Armor Penetration or Magic Penetration, depending on the champion. Critical Chance isn't bad, either.

Yellow: Dodge, scaling Health, and scaling Armor.

Blue: Scaling Magic Resist and scaling Cooldown.

Purple: Armor Penetration/Magic Penetration (again, champion-dependent) and flat Health.

Nieco

12-30-2009

ahhh ok thanks guys~ .....I think ill go
yellow : dodge
red: crit damage or ma/ a penetration
blue : cooldown
purple : health

thanks again~

volune

12-30-2009

why would you want scaling runes?

by the time you are level 18, the effects of your runes are pretty small. vastly outweighed by the items you are carrying.

on the other hand, at level 1 you have no items. the non-scaling runes offer a huge advantage to low level stats. from what i can tell, the best strategy would be to rely on the non-scaling runes for early game stats, and items for late game stats.

Holypope

12-30-2009

ahh!!! those crit damage runes aren't useful to you untill your crit reate hits 60% or so... at least compared to crit chance runes.

also, scaling runes are useful with mana regen because they pass the benefit of the flat ones by L5. The cooldown reduction ones are more of a toss-up. some (i forget which ones) are really ****py and even finish lower than the flat ones start!

Fbsunny

12-30-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holypope View Post
its best to find synergies. stacking any one thing isn't usually a best approach, with the exception of cooldown reduction

10% cooldown reduction with 100 dps through abilities= 111dps.

20% cooldown reduction with 100 dps through abilities = 125dps

40% cooldown reduction with 100 dps through abilities = 166dps

however attack speed works the opposite way, as does crit chance, damage, crit damage, etc... Those items are usually best used as a blend. 10% crit chance + 10% attack speed is better than 20% of either.

armor/magic pen can be a little weird, as it knocks flat amounts off of enemy armor. oddly enough, this matters most with lightly armored opponents. 20 armor pen will increase your dps by 20% vs a character with only 20 armor, but only 5% vs someone with 100 armor.

personally, I find mana regen runes to be essential in almost every game. they're my must-have, regardless of me building dps, defense, cooldown, or whatever.

hit point/mana runes tend to be cool up front (at least if you're getting ganked a lot), but barely matter past the first 10 minutes, as by then the HP bonus is trivial in relation to incoming DPS.
Although it is true that you get the most physical dps if you have a mix of crit damage, damage, crit chance, armor pen, and attack speed it still makes sense to stack only one of them in your runes. You want to have a mix off all of these, but you also get items and masteries to help you to even them out. for example if you start with crit chance runes you probably only need one or two other crit chance items, and then you can focus on damage and attack speed.

TL;DR Your basic theory is correct but your application of it on runes is incorrect.