Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Make A Complex / Skill-Required Spell

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Applebeard

12-26-2010

Any spinning automatically disqualifies you.

I'm not a big fan of simple spells, I'd rather have either many effects, situational uses, or pose both positive and negative effects. I know it won't ever become common in LoL, but I still mess around with fake spells. My submission:

Stag of Majesty (Udyr-Like Champion) transforms into a majestic Stag. During this time, he cannot attack, but the health regen, mana regen, AD, and AP of his nearby allied champions are increased. (Champion) does not benefit from these effects.

He cannot attack during this form, but it can be cancelled at any time (3 second channel). His movespeed is increased by a certain amount, but takes a certain %age more from all incoming damage.
Duration: Forever (until cancelled or silenced)
Health Regen (per 5): 5/9/14/19/24
Mana Regen (per 5): 5/10/15/20/25
AD Increase: 7/15/22/29/35 (+.15AP Ratio)
AP Increase: 8/20/32/44/56 (+.15AP Ratio)
Range: 500/550/600/650/700
(Self) Movespeed Increase: 10/15/20/25/30
(Self) Incoming Damage % Increase: 20/24/28/32/36
Mana Cost: 60/70/80/90/100

On a sidenote, being in happy graceful Stag form and getting ganked would be the worst feeling in the world.

This is not QQ or saying that there aren't current spells that require skill, I'm just saying that I enjoy situational spells or spells that have times where it wouldn't be a good idea to use them (Anivia walling off her allies from her enemies if they're trying to attack). With this spell, you probably wouldn't want to go into stag form when you're in a solo lane (no point, leaves you open to harassment, the extra movespeed isn't worth extra incoming damage).

If you have an idea for a complex spell (don't get pooshy with it) post it, would love to read it.

EIometer

Recruiter

12-26-2010

Distortion Sphere: Incoming projectiles are slowed by 25/25/30/30/35%. Number of projectiles at 2/3/4/5/6. Cost: 100/100/125/125/150. Cooldown: 30/45/60/75/90

Used on a support champion. Ripped off of DoTA/HoN, but who cares ^^

Applebeard

12-26-2010

Quote:
StyLeD:
Distortion Sphere: Incoming projectiles are slowed by 25/25/30/30/35%. Number of projectiles at 2/3/4/5/6. Cost: 100/100/125/125/150. Cooldown: 30/45/60/75/90

Used on a support champion. Ripped off of DoTA/HoN, but who cares ^^

So i guess it'd have to be a big sphere then, cause this would only effectively counter skillshot champs. You could make it so that it boosts skillshot speed from your champs too (or increased damage :P). Good idea though, don't think the dramatic CD is necessary.

INRIhab

12-26-2010

keep it simple stupid

Applebeard

12-26-2010

Quote:
INRIhab:
keep it simple and stupid

Fixed. Also, I'm not saying every single spell should be as complicated as above^^^, but I'd just like to see more of it.

KillinUrDoodz

12-26-2010

Every mechanic in a game should take no more than two sentences to describe it.

Depth should be created by the combination of mechanics, not individual ones that are overwrought with complexity.

EIometer

Recruiter

12-26-2010

Quote:
panthers17nfl:
So i guess it'd have to be a big sphere then, cause this would only effectively counter skillshot champs. You could make it so that it boosts skillshot speed from your champs too (or increased damage :P). Good idea though, don't think the dramatic CD is necessary.

Essentially. I don't like thinking of new skills, because every skill I think of will never be implemented by Riot short of a massive overhaul because Adobe Air is a terrible program and their coding or whatever does not allow more advanced skills to be implemented.

ie: you can only control up to two units, and your second unit cannot be multitasked. terrain cannot be destroyed. items (afaik) cannot be cycled....

*sigh*

And yes, it is a big sphere.

edit: see pic. I hate HoN as much as the next LoLer, but I give props when props are due. They have excellent graphics.

Adaelphon Delat

Recruiter

12-26-2010

The problem with complex spells is that it requires everyone to know how it works to use and counter. And for situational spells, it makes it feel like the champion is useless outside of situations where the spell shines compared to similar champions. I think Kassadin's Riftwalk is a great spell though. It has a thousand uses, and takes a lot of thought to use properly. How much to charge it, how to position yourself,

EIometer

Recruiter

12-26-2010

Quote:
Adaelphon Delat:
The problem with complex spells is that it requires everyone to know how it works to use and counter. And for situational spells, it makes it feel like the champion is useless outside of situations where the spell shines compared to similar champions. I think Kassadin's Riftwalk is a great spell though. It has a thousand uses, and takes a lot of thought to use properly. How much to charge it, how to position yourself,

This methodology can be applied to any champion. You don't know Malphite's ultimate? Good luck with that. You don't know Kassidan can teleport and its cooldown and mana consumption costs? GL with that too. etc

that "reason" is so overused and overemphasized. This "Burden of Knowledge" is applied to any skill in the game. Complex skills can be simple to understand but still layered enough to create a skill gap.

Cpt Mullethead

12-26-2010

Glacial Glaive

[Champion] throws a frozen glaive
the glaive deals X damage and slows if a hit lands on the initial flight

should the glaive strike an enemy on its return trip, it deals its base damage + magic damage and stuns

if the skill misses enemies, it applies 50% of return damage to the caster

this skill ignores minions and monsters