Cassiopeia: An Informal Guide

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nevrus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-01-2011

The results are in! The answer: No.

Putting myself in auto-attack range was about as dangerous as telegraphing my ultimate. I spent most of my time spamming my abilities instead of auto-attacking as well.

Spell pen as a whole gets a thumbs up, though! I had only about 300 ap, but I was still tearing through the enemy team with void staff, sorc shoes, and Abyssal Scepter. I wasn't even stacking and I did really well!

So it's an option. I think I'm going to grab Void Staff as my last item instead of Lich Bane if it comes down to it from now on.

I also tried levelling my q first and my slow second. Results were, as I predicted, underwhelming. Miasma's damage output is laughable at best except against minions, and the increase in its slow was still generally negligible- they only time I could effectively use it was when the enemy was already suffering from heavy CC in the first place, and it didn't make that much of a difference. It reaffirmed in my mind that my skill leveling order is optimal for maintaining damage output throughout the game.

Thanks for trying it out, though.

Demonite10

01-01-2011

I tried using your build, minus the soulstealer cause I had a feeling everybody would be targeting first. I did lackluster most of the time due to dying too much. On a whim, I switched the masteries to be defense tree predominant, grabbed Chalice instead of Tear first and built Rylai's as my first big ticket item. Like that, I stay alive much longer, can spam my spells freely and can generally outlast anybody I run into during the laning phase. In teamfights, my asset is a lot of damage that the enemy just doesn't seem to care about until they're about to die. I find Cass, this build or other, to be super strong at pushing turrets with a team - Her Q and W have artillery range, so you can generally get your stuff on the ground around the turret humping team and either push them back or screw their flow.

I haven't gotten to play in the past fee days due to work, but the next time I do I'm thinking about switching Chalice for Tear. I'll lose the extra magic resist like that, but having a big mana pool helps that one mastery in the defense tree that increases your HP regen based on your mana pool.

These are just my thoughts and observations. I happen to think that your guide is rock solid(especially how to effectively use Deadly Cadence), however this is what works for me and my line of thought.

UPDATE - I tried Tear instead of Chalice first. At first I didn't like it, but as the tear god built up, I found I essentially had infinite mana, since Cassi's abilities are pretty cheap. I ended 9/5/8, and was 4/0/4 for the first 30 minutes or so. Also ended with 45ish hp/5. Tear + Strength of Spirit mastery is an interesting combination...HP/5 is one of the worse defensive stats since it doesn't help you while in combat, but during laning and poking it's alright.

AreYouReady2Die

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-01-2011

Worked pretty well for me went tear, boots 1 malady, pen boots, hexgunblade, hextech gunblade (sheen->lich was next) and ate the decent cass/ sona me and ammu were against using clarity and ignite.

Game ended then, its not great until malady and hextech are complete, but let me farm fast as hell 25 minute game I was 0/2/15 mostly 2v2 fights mumu kept getting last hit from crying. He was 9/4/1 I did most of damage hed jump in from grass to kill, basically my teemo playstyle gotta try it more

Might be just the style I play since I'm a teemo/karthas plaer with mundo occasionally. And I'm used to auto attacking with someone easily eaten.
Edit; ya I'm done, hit me up in game I've got to see you play her, vs akali/sivir/yi/vlad/whatever cows name is I just got eaten and was worthless even hiding in back, no burst damage they ate us. Ill play kartus for an aoe teamfighter, least he isn't helpless ever, and his bombs do as much damage when they hit as her poison, with a ult that hits everyone on map 3 times as hard

Asylumseeker

01-01-2011

So Aroyok wrote about using defensive tree so im thinking 9/21/0. just been looking at that and im thinking it could be a really good idea. Sure it would make the very early laning suffer but as soon as you get tear it shouldnt be a problem. Most of the other items arent that useful in there apart from quicker cooldown on flash and the bonus speed. Oh and the improved CDr.

Im thinking
Tear
Sorc boots
Rylais
Archangels

So Nevrus i would like to hear your thoughts on the masteries as your guide is pretty nice and you obviously know how to play the character. Ive played about 5 games with her. 3 pretty decent. 2 i just got completely shut down by an Eve as my team were getting no wards etc..

Rysan Marquise

01-01-2011

I personally go for Chalice for the additional MR and cheaper price. I am going to see if I can get away with it without Mp/5 seals aswell. I have found that if you focus on survivability more than AP, you can still do heavy damage over time and become a very powerful tank-like character. Your damage over time means that you are focused and your ability set means you have a reasonable chance to escape.

MBirk

01-01-2011

Lichbane is really good on her.

She is definitely a strong champ, that will be missplayed alot, giving the impression of her being weak.

Her Q can be spammed without a target every lb cooldown. This makes her very strong vs towers with a lb for a caster.
Also, just plain strong vs players too. The issue being a lb AA and a twinfang kindof serving the same purpose. Although, I would then recommend skilling up Q, and W. ignoring E,and getting sheen first. It saves you mana from not using E, lets you get ap/mana, and lets you get a higher Q and E skill.

Her attack animation is fast, and has good range. she is then a very effective hybrid, or attacks quick for a lichbane/sheen hit. Spamming, Q,W outside of combat keeps rageblade stacked. Definitely a viable option for her too.

If you intend to play her, I would REALLY recommend setting smartcast to E. Having to click to target E breaks it. Hover while spamming E on the other hand, makes it devastating.

Demonite10

01-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asylumseeker View Post
So Aroyok wrote about using defensive tree so im thinking 9/21/0. just been looking at that and im thinking it could be a really good idea. Sure it would make the very early laning suffer but as soon as you get tear it shouldnt be a problem. Most of the other items arent that useful in there apart from quicker cooldown on flash and the bonus speed. Oh and the improved CDr.
I run 0/21/9 and use Ghost/Ignite. Playing off the idea of having a high mana pool for high HP/5, I take the mastery to the right of the one that gives you faster xp(the one that increases your mana by 5% of your max mana). It probably isn't all that great and the improved XP is likely better.

My last game was 12/4/something, so I definitely support the idea of a less squishy Cass...with the reasoning that if you're dead you're being useless to your team for X seconds, while if you're alive you have the potential to be useful. I should also note that I get the most mileage out of her Q...could be because I use Karthus...but if your lanemate can apply constant poison(like Singed) then I would get E first.

Asylumseeker

01-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroyok View Post
I run 0/21/9 and use Ghost/Ignite. Playing off the idea of having a high mana pool for high HP/5, I take the mastery to the right of the one that gives you faster xp(the one that increases your mana by 5% of your max mana). It probably isn't all that great and the improved XP is likely better.

My last game was 12/4/something, so I definitely support the idea of a less squishy Cass...with the reasoning that if you're dead you're being useless to your team for X seconds, while if you're alive you have the potential to be useful. I should also note that I get the most mileage out of her Q...could be because I use Karthus...but if your lanemate can apply constant poison(like Singed) then I would get E first.
Isnt the spell pen on the offensive tree important though?

I have to agree. I mostly use Q as it really keeps people back. Very nice for zoning people completely out. To be honest E is alright but i find it never really packs much of a punch compared to Q and W..

Nevrus

01-01-2011

When I leveled up Noxious Blast first, I noted that while it was doing more damage, I seemed to be pressuring the opponents less overall, even with my heavy harass. Usually it's the constant application of Twin Fangs that nets me early kills, because even if it has less total damage, it still packs a punch.

As for akali/sivir/yi/vlad, I play all those champs and know all their weaknesses!
Akali: Until Akali gets level 6, the most she's going to be able to do is throw her Mark at you. If you punish her with a bout of the Deadly Cadence when she does that, you'll outharass her. Not to mention she has to close to melee range to last-hit minions effectively and still be able to harass you- when she stops to crescent blade or autoattack, pop her with Noxious Blast.
Sivir: Last night I played Sivir against my friend who I was trying to teach Cassiopeia. Sivir, unlike Cass, is an excellent 1v1 champion, capable of putting out lots of damage in a short amount of time. I'd say try to avoid engaging her and always be ready to dodge her boomerang. Plus, her spell shield shouldn't be as much of a problem as it seems- Noxious Blast has a fairly audible sound effect, and if you put it near her but not on her, she'll usually hear the sound and pop the shield... for no reason. Just wait it out and keep attacking her. But seriously, 1v1 from full health, unless you're hella stacked on Mejai's, don't fight her. Kite her with your slow and your q for movespeed.
Vlad- Vlad looks scary, but he's only scary at level 7. His q has a (relatively) long cooldown at level 1, and does minimal damage and heals for all of 25. Harass him back at this level, because your character is just better than his. If he gets particularly low, call for a gank! You won't be able to kill him alone with your harass unless he's terrible, but if you have a ganker wait for him to use Sanguine Pool, he'll be up a lane without a paddle.
You have to remember, most mages, unless they're stacked as all hell, can't 1v1 very effectively until very late game, and that's why harass is important. Notable exceptions are Vlad and Kennen. Try to fight with your team and you will be much more effective!

watsaname

01-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBirk View Post
If you intend to play her, I would REALLY recommend setting smartcast to E. Having to click to target E breaks it. Hover while spamming E on the other hand, makes it devastating.
^^^^^^^ THIS!

Also, lichbane is a very good item, because when you spam her E, she throws an auto attack between casts.