Has everyone forgotten about the one with the cane?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

xzarion

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-26-2010

Swain is an amazingly fun champion, though he isn't very viable unless you get many MANY games worth

of practice.

SonicTheHedgedawg

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biraru View Post
I know that people like to say how he is a "tanky" mage. He is not. His base stats absolutely deny that he is tanky. His base skill damage absolutely deny that he can forego AP for tank items. It is a childish dream to keep calling him a tanky mage until he becomes one. Being a tanky mage is how the concept of his skillset could make him work, but it is not what he is because of the actually numbers behind the champion. For example, Doctor Mundo does more damage than Swain's ult by lighting himself on fire.

In all reality, Swain is a squishy mage with unreliable CC and bad escape skills who runs out of ressource very quickly. For a champion deemed a master strategist, this is not good at all D:
I always thought it was Ironic that the "master strategist" was primarily a single target debuff/nuker.

It would have made more sense from him to be support/disable (like morgana or even lux)

218LoveCyst

12-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicTheHedgedawg View Post
Swain has a few possible roles:

- High AP Nuker
---------- But he's oudone here by all SORTS of characters. Akali DESTROYS his potential in single target damage, and prett much ANY standard nuker can do more multi target damage.

-AP disabler
--------- Buuuutttt again, he can't hold a CANDLE to morgana. Lux even outdoes him here. Anivia even would do much more damage, though with arguably a bit less utility.

So finally you get the role that you see him with most often:
-AP/Survivability, tanky, magical-DPS
- Unfortunately he gets rawked here too by several other characters:
---------- Mordekaiser is EVERYTHING swaine could hope to be in this category and more
---------- Ryze's excellent mana/CDR/MR-redux scaling makes a Ryze with a Rod of ages, Abyssal Sceptre and Glacial Shroud hit WAAAAAAAAAY harder with, really, just as much survavability.
---------- Vladamir's passive and sanguine pool give him more survivability and he hits harder.
(NONE of the above have the mana issues that swain does* and ALL of them farm much much better**)
------ I'm sure there are more options, these are just what immediately came to mind

So, as you can see...... why would you want a swaine on your team when he's outclassed in every role he can hope to perform?

* I'm aware that swain's passive restores mana when he last hits, but his spells are all high mana cost and his ultimate causes him to HEMMORHAGE mana. Without his passive, he suffers mana starvation, WITH it, he suffers mana hunger. Morde and Vlad, on the other hand, have no mana to worry about, and Ryze is capable of building almost 100% mana items and hitting like a truck. A ryze that rushes Tear of the Goddess will have a more reliable mana store than swain and will still hit harder. Plus, Ryze's spells are cheaper (cost free ultimate ftw)

**Swain is a great laner, but, really, how can you compete with the likes of Vladamir or Mordekaiser? And Ryze also, whose cheap, heavy damage AoE spells allow him to farm entire waves in seconds and who can take over 50% of your health off if you get close enough to be imprisoned?
omg TAKE your finger OFF of the SHIFT key PLEASE

SonicTheHedgedawg

12-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by AttackSock View Post
omg TAKE your finger OFF of the SHIFT key PLEASE
it's easier than pressing bold or itallics.

Yes, I was that lazy

Biraru

12-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicTheHedgedawg View Post
I always thought it was Ironic that the "master strategist" was primarily a single target debuff/nuker.

It would have made more sense from him to be support/disable (like morgana or even lux)
I agree. It seems that his strategic side consists mostly of having to use his skills in the right order. That is, using Torment first to benefit from the extra damage. However, most of his damage is over-time, so it actually matters not very much if you throw Torment before or after his other skills D:

Besides, Torment has the most synergy with laser bird but laser bird has less range anyway, so it is entirely natural that you throw Torment beforehand.