Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Has everyone forgotten about the one with the cane?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dracozero

12-26-2010

He's busy being 5 steps ahead of you.

BloodTrinity

12-26-2010

Who?

Eytukan

12-26-2010

Yea he is medicore until some 1800 elo player makes a vid pwning faces with swain. And 3 hours later u see him in every game (see karthus)

IS1ebe60507d910496d5f37

12-26-2010

He has two problems:

1. There are Mages with better CC like Annie, Anivia, Morgana, blah blah blah. If you are looking for CC then you should go elsewhere.

2. He is very farm dependent. Truth be told he has a pretty good late game in terms of damage, as his ratios are pretty good, but once you get to late-game it's not the Mage's job to be doing massive damage.
Mages are designed to have strong Early and Mid games, but weak late games unless fed. Swain has a pretty good late-game as far as unfed Mages go, but by that time your Ashe or Trist will be doing so much damage Swain's late game will get dwarfed by the big carries.

XaoGarrent

12-26-2010

Quote:
phantom10:
its because he is 6300 champ that is really not a desirable champ to play because he limps. like i never seen malz before they buffed him like i wouldnt even see him 1 out of 100 games thats how gone he was. swain is like blitz you will almost never see him unless he is free

I see Blitz alot, actually.

But Blitz is also fairly solid. Not so sure about Swain. He seems like he has potential, but needs a few tweaks to reach it. He's also a caster, and thus suffers from a number of the issues casters do (I. E. unimpressive scaling till really, really late game).

SonicTheHedgedawg

12-26-2010

Swain has a few possible roles:

- High AP Nuker
---------- But he's oudone here by all SORTS of characters. Akali DESTROYS his potential in single target damage, and prett much ANY standard nuker can do more multi target damage.

-AP disabler
--------- Buuuutttt again, he can't hold a CANDLE to morgana. Lux even outdoes him here. Anivia even would do much more damage, though with arguably a bit less utility.

So finally you get the role that you see him with most often:
-AP/Survivability, tanky, magical-DPS
- Unfortunately he gets rawked here too by several other characters:
---------- Mordekaiser is EVERYTHING swaine could hope to be in this category and more
---------- Ryze's excellent mana/CDR/MR-redux scaling makes a Ryze with a Rod of ages, Abyssal Sceptre and Glacial Shroud hit WAAAAAAAAAY harder with, really, just as much survavability.
---------- Vladamir's passive and sanguine pool give him more survivability and he hits harder.
(NONE of the above have the mana issues that swain does* and ALL of them farm much much better**)
------ I'm sure there are more options, these are just what immediately came to mind

So, as you can see...... why would you want a swaine on your team when he's outclassed in every role he can hope to perform?

* I'm aware that swain's passive restores mana when he last hits, but his spells are all high mana cost and his ultimate causes him to HEMMORHAGE mana. Without his passive, he suffers mana starvation, WITH it, he suffers mana hunger. Morde and Vlad, on the other hand, have no mana to worry about, and Ryze is capable of building almost 100% mana items and hitting like a truck. A ryze that rushes Tear of the Goddess will have a more reliable mana store than swain and will still hit harder. Plus, Ryze's spells are cheaper (cost free ultimate ftw)

**Swain is a great laner, but, really, how can you compete with the likes of Vladamir or Mordekaiser? And Ryze also, whose cheap, heavy damage AoE spells allow him to farm entire waves in seconds and who can take over 50% of your health off if you get close enough to be imprisoned?

Lez

12-26-2010

Swain, god i love swain to bad other champs do his jobs 10x better.

INRIhab

12-26-2010

nasus ate him

Tram

Recruiter

12-26-2010

I play Swain if I wanna play a mage

I play Singed if I wanna Tank

And I play Trundle if I wanna jungle.

Biraru

12-26-2010

I know that people like to say how he is a "tanky" mage. He is not. His base stats absolutely deny that he is tanky. His base skill damage absolutely deny that he can forego AP for tank items. It is a childish dream to keep calling him a tanky mage until he becomes one. Being a tanky mage is how the concept of his skillset could make him work, but it is not what he is because of the actually numbers behind the champion. For example, Doctor Mundo does more damage than Swain's ult by lighting himself on fire.

In all reality, Swain is a squishy mage with unreliable CC and bad escape skills who runs out of ressource very quickly. For a champion deemed a master strategist, this is not good at all D: