the ELO system is completely F***ed

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

darksinthe

12-26-2010

Look, I understand that all the people at RIOT are intelligent (hopefully). I understand that you cloned a rating system that was created for game called GO, which basically only 'super intelligent' people were good at. This system was made by a 'super intelligent mathematician' that obviously played the game 'go'.

I don't care about intelligent systems. Donkeys have probably thought of things that are so out of the reach of your logic functioning that you'd never even consider it. I would consider myself intelligent, and I would consider myself intelligent enough that after reviewing the ELO system created for GO, to realize that it was created for a O N E O N O N E game. NOT a 3v3/5v5 GAME.

I hope to GOD that your team at RIOT are intelligent enough to come up with your own rating system that DOESN'T focus on the outcome of the TEAM, but the outcome of the P L A Y E R. Cloning a system created for another game that is NOTHING LIKE league of legends completely ruins the competitive aspect of league of legends.

Why do we have all these players complaining about AFKers, Ragequitters, LOW ELO BULL****, etc.? Because they all think that they are good enough to NOT be placed with those fail leavers and afkers (who should be permabanned to save the quality of LoL)

In a low ELO setting, some of them are actually JUSTIFIED in thinking they shouldn't be placed with those people... and some of them are NOT. 'how do we fix this ELO HELL problem? HOW HOW HOW?' well, the answer is simple...

DON'T BASE A PLAYERS SCORE ON WINS AND LOSSES.

BASE A PLAYERS SCORE ON KILL-DEATH-ASSIST-HEAL-DEATH/TEAMDEATH RATIO.

How? Drop the ridiculous ELO rating system and come up with something specific for LEAGUE OF LEGENDS. I know that all those intelligent minds at riot can come up with something.

If you can create a game this insanely amazing, you can definitely come up with a rating system to balance it all.

Yugi

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-26-2010

Tl;dr

but.. you just realized this?

TheDoberMan90

12-26-2010

no the elo system works perfectly fine. Its been stated and proven many times by various high elo players that if you are realistically placed to low, it is quite easy to carry out of.

Faeces

12-26-2010

LoL will never be a competitive game
falalala la la la laaaaaaaa ty.

darksinthe

12-26-2010

meh hope it will

Kak Magician

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-26-2010

You make some great points, and I would have to agree with you, however I don't think you should drop the system entirely

I don't believe bad players should be carried into a higher ELO because of getting lucky and getting carried, I also don't believe good players should be dropped because of getting matched with leavers and terrible players.

I think the only way you can fix it is to use a combination of the two. Have the ELO system, but also score based on individual performance in game. Drop your ELO less if you do good and still lose, or even get a minor positive score if you do exceptionally well. And do the exact same if your a bad player/feeder on a winning team.

I think if you did this, you would allow for a more consistent level of play among players. However, keep in mind there are trollers and leavers in all the ELO levels.

Faeces

12-26-2010

This system wasn't developed for 5v5 PERIOD.

Shreder

12-26-2010

The major problem is, by what metric do you rate whether someone performed well or not? You can do something completely game-changing, and have it barely register in number form.

bluenuts

12-26-2010

Its working fine..u are destine to lose with other players just like me ^^. MM loves u and put u with people who less than 7wins with 1400 elo

BlindEternities

12-26-2010

you do realize that hon uses the exact (well slightly modified) same system right?

and i don't think dota has a built in ranking system