Jungling : The great Smite debate

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

blarghwut

12-26-2010

I also main WW and I personally think having smite is much more useful than having a second non smite spell.
Jungling without smite is much more risky and it slows your jungling speed quite a bit, making it harder to reach lv6 faster.
Earlier dragon is also favorable to the entire team since it gives all teammates a solid 240(?) gold whereas an early kill only benefits you and your other ally. Early kills also usually dont make or break the game.
I'm not sure exactly what your other "viable" summoner spell would be, considering that most teams do include atleast 1 exhaust/ignite.
As for the last part, if you start jungling at NOT the blue golem, most players will not bother to chase after you, though I have seen high elo games where some teams do go rush into the opponent jungle and place wards at the red and blue.

Up to you but I'd say the faster/safer jungling(faster lv 6) and dragon outweighs the cons.

Stonewall008

12-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tendresse View Post
Really? Edited, didn't think I needed to specify it.
All I can tell you is

The pros of Smite far surpass the cons of it.

Jemrin

12-26-2010

Lets put it this way
Do you want to become better at this game or stay at the level you are know
If you want to become better take smite and learn to use it to last hit neutrals

If you want to stay at the level of game play where people don't try to steal Dragon/Baron/Golem/Lizard you do not need it although your jungling speed will fall

TomatoBisque

Adjudicator

12-26-2010

If you don't have smite and have a potential jungler (WW, Rammus, Fiddle, etc.), we're just going to wait around your golem and gank/steal it.

BlackChocolate

12-26-2010

What the hell is there to debate? If you are jungling take smite. Don't argue. Take it. Now.

Vantwan

12-26-2010

There's no "Smite Debate" in existence. All it is are noobs who think that just because they pick Warwick and not bring smite, the enemy team wouldn't gank them in their jungle, which is wrong in so many ways.

And by the way, Smite is one of the most powerful Summoner Spells late game due to securing or stealing Baron.

Maestro Kenteko

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-26-2010

The real reason to have smite revolves around the early jungling phase, though the dragon/baron pro is certainly a huge reason.

To elaborate, I define four summoner spells as the meat and potatoes of amazing spells that scale game wide: Ghost/Flash/Cleanse/Exhaust. Teleport and Fortify are exempt as their purpose is utility (but important), and Smite/Ignite/Clarity/Heal stagnate past the midgame, save for certain situations (Clarity on Taric/Kass, Ignite vs Vlad/Mundo, Heal for clutch saves/support characters) and Rally/Revive are their own special butterflys. Either way, the four aforementioned spells are amazing from beginning to end, scaling completely against most champs, providing safety nets, or simply getting the job when needed.

Smite, like Ignite, serves to provide security or a viable threat within the first ten minutes of the game. Smite means that your jungling will be secure or safer then it would otherwise be, plus it serves as a minor repellent against invasion and counter jungling. Some Champions (Fiddle/Rammus) require this security, especially around blue, as a very large amount of their jungling/ganking revolves completely around them having a certain buff. It also allows some champions (Warwick/Fiddle) much more leeway and safety when doing things like an early game dragon or an invasion if you outpaced the enemy. This security blanket, this reliability and consistency are much more important, especially in the very crucial first ten minutes of the game, more than the gamble of perhaps utilizing a different summoner spell late game. Remember: You're still gonna pack one of the big four as you have two spells.

It is in no way a crutch or a wasted spell. It is simply a tool that is perfect for the job and one that every jungler should have. After all, let's be frank: If you're a Warwick/Fiddle, people are going to check for you at blue with or without smite. Most players have the coherence to recognize that some champions can and will jungle immediately, smite is less of a warning flag then just picking that character is. Will it become less and less useful as the game goes on? Sure, but so does ignite. Tons of people go for that. Why? Laning phase kill and the presence that they always have that last little bit of damage to give.

trolololoolololo

12-26-2010

dont take smite if you want to be trash forever

Yuralz

12-26-2010

I once tried to jungle Fiddle without smite because "I didn't need it".

I learned a very valuable lesson that day...

Egduj

12-26-2010

Do you want to level at the rate of a solo or a duo.