I think Noxis gets treated unfairly in the lore

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Vuther

12-26-2010

Personally, while I found Lux's forced training to be a surprise, it does not entirely remove the general position of seeming superior morality of Demacia because her's was an isolated incident that may have only happened at the behest of her parents, who clearly have strong influence in Demacia. They could of pressured into other military officials into accepting her into the armed forces against her will that way, which makes it a much more minor stain on Demacia then.

Draken Frosthand

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-26-2010

Noxus has dark themes, Demacia has light themes, this will always have connotations attached to both. Noxus is more ruthless, Noxus is uglier, Noxus has worse rep due to its militar expansionism.

The ruler of Noxus, Boran Darkwill, is most likely what could be deemed an evil individual. The prospective future ruler himself, Swain, is a by-the-book evil mastermind. Matter of fact, most of Noxus' champions ping evil on the moral alignmentometer (patented by Heimerdinger!).

Extrapolating from that to saying that the city as a whole is evil is like saying there is no crime in Demacia. Newsflash, there is. Twisted fate's Lore states so. Matter of fact, he is a criminal in Noxus too. So there is that.

That said... The JoJ being Demacian propaganda. I dare say no. Unless you think Richor Ebony's commentings are just that unbelievable, in which case there is nothing that can be done on the writer's side, Ebony is obviously a Noxian who is proud of his Noxian ways.

The problem, I dare say, is that Noxus just can't find itself in the position of victim, ever. Freljord appeaed in the position of victim, Demacia was in the position of victim (the piracy incident), I won't even mention Ionia besides this line. They all to often find themselves as the agressor, and being the agressor is never good rep.

----

Also: Warwick's life ruined? Hahahaha. How? He is still one of the most intelligent and respected scholars in Zaun, the man is likely filthy rich from patents and from his earnings in the Ionian War. He is wildly popular.

His god**** lore entry says he is thankful of Soraka's "curse". If there is one person in Runeterra who lives the good life, it is Warwick.

Well, save for that incident with the kidnapping, that is. I guess that means Mundo has it better than Warwick in the "good life" department.

Enrayged

12-27-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narvuntien View Post
ok it is true I only skimmed the surface by reading all the champions stories but every second one is their whole family was killed by Noxus assassins. As far as I can tell the only person who's life was ruined by any other city state was Warwick (although there is speculation about Cass).

yeah I am still confused which city is which sorry about that.
I dunno... If I were a serial killer for hire, I would sorta enjoy being turned into a wolfman...
But, yeah... no. Noxus may seem like the bad guys - and, technically, they are a very black shade of gray - but a shade of gray nonetheless... Same with Demacia - they, likewise, are a white-ish shade of gray, but still gray... I wouldn't really consider any society that drags away a teenage girl to serve in the military "good"

Quote:
Personally, while I found Lux's forced training to be a surprise, it does not entirely remove the general position of seeming superior morality of Demacia because her's was an isolated incident that may have only happened at the behest of her parents, who clearly have strong influence in Demacia. They could of pressured into other military officials into accepting her into the armed forces against her will that way, which makes it a much more minor stain on Demacia then.
Nope, I'm afraid you're wrong. If you read Demacia's lore (actually... this is in both the Demacia and Noxus lore) you'll find that all citizens are conscripted into the military - whether they like it or not. (This has a slightly larger impact for Demacia's "good guy rep" I would assume, seeing as I think pretty much every Noxian citizen wants to join the army - even those who you wouldn't think of as soldier types (Cass, for example.)

Die Nacht

12-28-2010

I think that both Cities are bad. I do see what you are saying, but when I think about it, Noxus is a bit more straight when it comes to doing "evil" things since their philosophy sees some things as right that most people would see as wrong.

Demacia, on the other hand, is more of a hypocritical, hidden evil. They hide under their shiny city and codes and morals, but in reality, they are just as evil. They try to be perfect and if you read The Republic or watched the Tron: Legacy movie, you will know that you cannot gain perfection. If you try it, you will fail and do so many evils in the way.

Vuther

12-28-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enrayged View Post
Nope, I'm afraid you're wrong. If you read Demacia's lore (actually... this is in both the Demacia and Noxus lore) you'll find that all citizens are conscripted into the military - whether they like it or not. (This has a slightly larger impact for Demacia's "good guy rep" I would assume, seeing as I think pretty much every Noxian citizen wants to join the army - even those who you wouldn't think of as soldier types (Cass, for example.)
That's true, but I find her League Judgement implies it was the conscription was her parents' choice.

Quote:
“It is the greatest honor you could bestow upon our household to take Luxanna. She will serve you well, just as Garen has before her.” A chair scraped along the floor as her mother stood.
“You are sure, Lilia? Your daughter is at the age where she needs her parents the most, especially after taking her older brother away.”
“It is all in the King’s name. You will provide all the parenting that she will need.”
The reply implies the one her parents are speaking is following a request, since they clearly think taking Lux isn't quite healthy for her, as well stating the possibility of not having to take her.

EpicLotus

12-28-2010

NO WAY!

Noxus are not the bad guys, in fact there´s no such thing.

We look at no means to get what we want, that is a fact, BUT we´re also a honorable honest state.

The high command didn´t NEED to accept Ionia´s challenge for example. We could just deny it and wait for the years of the agreement to pass. We won the first match fair and square and it was Ionia´s duty to hold their end of the bargain. They wanted the rematch and we honorably gave them. NOT a "bad guys" action if u ask me.

ALL our champions fight in our name with pride! None of us were forced to do it... Yes Lux.... here in Noxus you could stay home with your family.

Epic - Summoner of Noxus-Zaun

Now on a side note;

Demancia; a Harsh dictadorship/communist society... it remminds me of China, but not nowadays... A few terrible years ago.
Noxus-Zaun; is a Free capitalistic/anarchy... An extreme version of USA, with an even better example in feudal europe (without the dictadorship). and this is what i think ppl get wrong. NOXUS IS NOT A DICTADORSHIP. Everyone is free to do what they want ( way to much freedom for it´s own good but anyway).
Ionia - JAPAN... not much else to say.
Freijord - alaska -.-... idk...

DaWugui

12-28-2010

The only good guys are the Stanpar.

Areia Polias

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-28-2010

Noxus would be proud of the way it is presented. Remember, during the Cold War, Americans felt complimented at being called "Capitalists" and members of the Soviet Union felt the same way about being labeled as Communists. An insult to one can be a badge of honor to others.

As for Ionia being the "good guys" compared to the military dictatorships of Noxus and Demacia, I can only say that I hope not. Ionians are the worst aspects of "peaceful monks" in literature. They were so dedicated to their ideals of peace, they allowed themselves to be blinded to the fact that dogs were howling at their door. It took the arrogance of Noxus for them to even have a second chance at reclaiming their lands. Personally, I find the stereotype distasteful and boring.

Cidem1324

Web Content Assistant

12-28-2010

In Demacia, while the majority of the citizens are given the necessary means for daily life, you can't really change your class status in life unless someone else does something wrong. Besides that, if you're family were farmers, you're going to be a farmer. If you're family were royalty, you're going to be royalty. Just look at their kings. Will there ever be a central ruler that doesn't have the name "Jarvan Lightshield"? Demacia is a rigid culture that despises change. You're supposed to give up everything you have, even your "dreams", to maintain the community/society.

In Noxus, while it's more of a dog eat dog culture, your class status in life is not set in stone. Why? Because Noxian's respects one thing above all else: Power. The more power you have, the higher your standing will be. As long as you have ambition, and the will to carry it out, then you will get far in the Noxian society. This system ensures only the "strong and competent" are the rulers.

Zaunite Bartender, Cid Emblem

HereticalWarlock

02-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cidem1324 View Post

In Noxus, while it's more of a dog eat dog culture, your class status in life is not set in stone. Why? Because Noxian's respects one thing above all else: Power. The more power you have, the higher your standing will be. As long as you have ambition, and the will to carry it out, then you will get far in the Noxian society. This system ensures only the "strong and competent" are the rulers.

Zaunite Bartender, Cid Emblem
Read the lore again and you see see these words:

"In Noxus, however, those with power are clearly protected by the law more than those without it."

So is social mobility possible in Noxus? I don't think so.