Going from tank -> Twisted Fate - need help

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mr Spatula

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-28-2009

Hey folks. I'm mostly a Cho'Gath player and recently took an interest in TF - he's a lot of fun. However, it's a totally different style of play, and 5 games in I still find myself in a tank mentality. Overall I'm an average player, win-loss of 80-60, but find myself looking how to most effectively use TF. Any suggestions?

1) Yes, I learned how to gold card, but am probably doing it 80% while in action. Few more games and I'll get it.

2) Regarding AP vs DPS, I've read/seen/heard the arguments, but I'd love your thoughts.

3) My style of play? Depending on the team, I'd like to keep lanes pushed/kill turrets/control map vs always being involved in team fights.

Bait

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-28-2009

tf is hard to learn. it takes a lot of effort to play him well.

things to work on:
1. gold card every time.
2. gold card mid battle.
3. attack, move, attack, move.
4. the above while picking a card.
5. paying attention to enemy location while attacking and picking acard.
6. avoiding stunners/etc.
7. pac, attack, wild card, attack.
8. well, this one isn't really something you have to work on but... gold card, ult, gate, attack, wild card, attack, move, pick a card, gold card, attack, etc.
9. keeping an eye on allies so you can ult or gate.
10. gate, pick a card, attack, move, wild card, move, pick a card, move, attack.
11. attacking while picking a card.
12. spamming blue card after you get trinity force for killing towers, dragon, baron, etc. (no practice needed)

Bait

12-28-2009

in ap vs dps, neither is superior over the other. it's a matter of what the enemy does. if the enemy stacks armor, go ap, if the enemy stacks mr, go dps.

tf should use more of a harass/farm style. pac, use it on enemy if they don't run. if they run, use it to last hit on a minion.

wild card: used to harass after a gold card, if enemy is very cowardly, use wilcard to last hit minions and farm.

Morzas

12-29-2009

AP TF: Better at farming, stronger Wild Cards and PaC, if you get Nashor's (I don't like it personally but some people get it) you can spam more often.

DPS TF: Better at killing towers, weaker Wild Cards and PaC, benefits more from TF's passive.

They're both okay builds, but I personally like the AP build more.

WesleyC

12-29-2009

Twisted Fate is the most difficult champion in LOL. You have to co-ordinate farming, harassing while constantly scanning the map for low health enemies. All of this while getting the timing right for your gold cards.

My advice would be to start off with some of the easier carries first, and progress to Twisted Fate a little later. Pirate is a nice stepping stone champion. Constant map watching is critical to effectively using his ultimate, but the rest of of his abilities are pretty straight forward!

ps. an 80-60 record makes you significantly ABOVE average

Mr Spatula

12-29-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesleyC View Post
Twisted Fate is the most difficult champion in LOL. You have to co-ordinate farming, harassing while constantly scanning the map for low health enemies. All of this while getting the timing right for your gold cards.

My advice would be to start off with some of the easier carries first, and progress to Twisted Fate a little later. Pirate is a nice stepping stone champion. Constant map watching is critical to effectively using his ultimate, but the rest of of his abilities are pretty straight forward!

ps. an 80-60 record makes you significantly ABOVE average
I like the challenge of learning the hardest champion, though. Besides Cho'Gath I've played Tryndamere and Anivia, so I've had some experience with being a carry & micromanaging.

Thanks everyone for the tips - I think I have a better understanding of how TF works.