Why try new non-supports in ranked?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Unclesatan

12-29-2013

People always try their Malphite support or LeBlanc support when the enemy picked Taric or Leona

I play ADC in ranked, why can't I just have a Leona or Thresh or Taric support like everyone else? Can I have ONE? ONE TIME? PLEASE??

I'm now going to list every support I've seen on my team in the last week, and then list the supports I haven't seen. I'm also going to rate just how useful their pick was to the team composition, 1-5.
1 being practically useless
5 being decent enough to hold his own against the powerful supports

Please keep in mind these ratings also sort of hold within them the skill of the player playing them, they will most likely vary depending on how good the player is.

Supports I've had on my team -

- Malphite (4) His AS debuff is pretty legit and teamfights were great
- J4 (2) Not useful in lane until 6+, teamfights were ok but I still wish I had Leona
- Xin (2) Not useful in lane, mostly just good for cleaning up what I didn't finish up myself
- LeBlanc (1) Good for bursting the ADC once every 5 minutes. Useless for everything else.
- Jax (2) Nice against ADCs, but I'd STILL rather have Leona
- Fiora (1) Useless. Utterly useless. Any Leona will perma stun your 400hp Fiora. Then she gets starved in lane by me, so lategame more useless.
- Karthus (3) Nice slows. Hurts when dead (cause they die alot against Leonas)
- Kassadin (3) Good escapes, silence helps alot, nice slows.
- Aatrox (1) A peel if he saves it for you, but other than that mostly just fodder
- Maokai (4) Nice for harassing and taking out the ADC. I wouldn't mind another Maokai support.
- Nocturne (1) The fear was cool for a peel but other than that he couldn't trade in lane period. Starved, so useless lategame.
- Nasus (3) Wither is just way strong, plus his AoE armor pen helped me puncture a Leona's armor. Starved in lane though, so useless lategame.
- Talon (2) Silence is nice but after that he's squishy and dies. Useless until ult, starved in lane, so useless lategame as well.
- Tryndamere (2) Taunt is a cool spell for lane, but he has no peels and all he can do is heal himself and hopefully get a crit off every once and a while without getting kited. Starved in lane, useless lategame as he can't splitpush.
- Yorick (5) This was just plain ridiculous. He spammed ghouls until he could no longer spam ghouls, then teleported back and spammed more ghouls. Leona couldn't come near. I'd say Yorick is my favorite non-support.
- Warwick (1) Starved in lane, forced push lane to heal, useless until ult (better off in jg)
- Veigar (2) Q Starved whole game, aoe stun is nice every 15 seconds.
- Zed (2) Starved whole game, shadows never peel or do damage. Practically useless all game.
- Kat (0) Why he picked Kat support I will never know

I understand the whole APC becoming new supports meta, but guys. Please. When I see a Leona on the other team every game, you lose your lane so you are forced support and yet you STILL pick the champion you wanted to be in the first place, and attempt to take it bottom.

It's not helping the team. It's not helping me. It's assisting the other team. As hard as I win lanes sometimes, it doesn't matter when we have a wannabe bruiser who's been starved all game as support feeding mid/lategame. I can even take most objectives and push towers, but when my good old Olaf support just finished Spirit Visage, and every player on their team has 3 full items, that's when I start getting frustrated.

Every time this happens, the enemy support will ALWAYS get at least 2.5-4k gold more than our support. Even if we win.

Tell me why you pick these supports. I truly want to know. Because right now I assume that it's because you lost the lane to someone else but you just HAVE to be the champ you were going to be. I also assume you're an idiot because you've probably done this before and still haven't noticed that you get thousands of less gold than the enemy support.

Jxi

12-29-2013

I've seen Annie support a bloody load over the last few days.

I don't know if it's because someone played her there in LCS one time recently. I don't watch it. If they have, however, it's because they've practiced it hours on end and are infinitely better than you at that role. Just because you saw someone go all pro with her one time doesn't mean you have anywhere near the ability to do the same. She is not a support. She is an AP nuke.

Furthermore, if you are going to play her in that role, don't you dare build a f*cking Deathcap as your first item. If I don't see you build a Sightstone I will murder you. She has no supporting abilities whatsoever so you should be warding out of your ass. "She has a stun though." So? Leona has three. Does that mean she's 3x as good as Annie? If so, why aren't you playing her instead?

Sure, try new metas, but not in ranked. Do what you want in blind. Practice it in draft. Emulate it in ranked. Don't you dare support as an APC in ranked unless you've done it 800 times before and know the role inside and out and there are no better alternatives.
/rant

Unclesatan

12-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jxi View Post
I've seen Annie support a bloody load over the last few days.

I don't know if it's because someone played her there in LCS one time recently. I don't watch it. If they have, however, it's because they've practiced it hours on end and are infinitely better than you at that role. Just because you saw someone go all pro with her one time doesn't mean you have anywhere near the ability to do the same. She is not a support. She is an AP nuke.

Furthermore, if you are going to play her in that role, don't you dare build a f*cking Deathcap as your first item. If I don't see you build a Sightstone I will murder you. She has no supporting abilities whatsoever so you should be warding out of your ass. "She has a stun though." So? Leona has three. Does that mean she's 3x as good as Annie? If so, why aren't you playing her instead?

/rant
That's what I'm sayin. This is madness. APs can be powerful supports against certain combos on bottom, THAT is why they're picked in tournaments. Not because they're just the end-all. That also doesn't mean I'm going to be like "oh I lost ADC spot. Guess I'll take Jinx mid!"

Please **** off whoever does this.

A Gay Bar

12-29-2013

I think mainly because the normal supports just aren't as fun as the new non-supports. It's the fact that it's finally viable for someone to go pantheon support, or some other bruiser instead of the sona, lulu, janna, etc.

Unclesatan

12-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Gay Bar View Post
I think mainly because the normal supports just aren't as fun as the new non-supports. It's the fact that it's finally viable for someone to go pantheon support, or some other bruiser instead of the sona, lulu, janna, etc.
Once again there's certain viable champs for support.

Pantheon is a pretty viable support, because he scales with abilities. He can get starved in lane, buy a sightstone and STILL be useful.

Annie is the same, her abilities low CD, much CC, AoE, minion for tanking. She can get starved in lane, buy a sightstone and STILL be useful.

Most of these champions I list CANNOT, yet I still see them in ranked FREQUENTLY.

Aeolian Melodies

12-29-2013

1) Who said they're trying it out
2) If you're not willing to work with a strat it won't work

Jxi

12-29-2013

I went Mundo support recently.

I ended up going 14-2-22, doubling the score of my ADC, without taking cs and without killstealing.

It worked, but I felt dirty. ._.

Still opposed to APC supports though

Unclesatan

12-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenluvartz View Post
1) Who said they're trying it out
2) If you're not willing to work with a strat it won't work
1) when you look at their match history and you see them playing that champion, only rolling top lane, you know they haven't played "Nasus Support" a thousand times.
2) When my "Nasus Support" obtains approximately 3-5k less gold than the enemy support when we win (this is a trend, not a random statistic) that's a problem. That isn't just me not working well with the support. I always try and make it work, and I've made MOST of these combos work out of my own sheer skill, but my support will still ALWAYS have less gold than the other support by ALOT.

Aeolian Melodies

12-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jxi View Post
If I don't see you build a Sightstone I will murder you.
I've had several games as support where I just buy 3 wards and disregard SS for the most part and it works great. Not having SS =/= not warding.

Pew Pew On You

12-29-2013

Because, why bother use a support who can now get more gold and use it well. When you can have a Mage as a support who can use that new gold flow and help dominate the enemy team?

Use gold to do well?
Or
Use gold to dominate?

Hmmm...