Guide to starter items for every champion.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Reverse Sejuani

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-30-2009

Horrible thread is horrible.

This is not DoTA. Each character and player are differnt, some like other things. Use them to your preference.

sdjaks

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-30-2009

Good thread. More people need to get boots first so I can smash their faces into jelly late game after they have to go back to heal every 45 seconds.

Statticus

12-30-2009

Fail attempt at a guide
Doran's + HP pot ftw!

Bait

12-30-2009

actually, the best starting item is a mana manipulator in terms of effect.

RyuuKitten

12-30-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bait View Post
actually, the best starting item is a mana manipulator in terms of effect.
I always go manip first on soraka, especailly after the catalyst nerf.

AmyOverlord

12-30-2009

So, you're saying that +50 movement speed is not worth it if you're trying to chase someone when they're running to a turret?

I don't like Doran's because they don't build into anything. Sure, they give you like +100 HP or whatever, but that little HP is knocked out in two hits.

Also, with Boots, you can build into your Boots 2 or Boots 3/BoM faster, which gives you a side effect AND that extra 20/40/80 movement speed.

The only time I use anything besides boots on ANY champion would be on Heimer. Reason being because he has turrets to defend him and he needs MP from Mana Manipulator.

Apokalupsis

12-30-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyOverlord View Post
So, you're saying that +50 movement speed is not worth it if you're trying to chase someone when they're running to a turret?
No, that isn't what they are saying. You aren't paying attention.

What they are saying...

1) Different starting items for different champs. Not all champs are intended to be champ-killers. Some are support, some are lane pushers. To play the champ proficiently, getting the right gear at the right time is very important. Not all champs need +50 speed at the start.

2) At level 1, dmg output is small. Granted, so is the enemy's hp level. However, if said champ is slower, but has a high amt of mana+ escape (flash, ghost, exhaust, etc... like 99% of all players out there), then that champ will most likely win the bout if all he's up against is someone who is "faster" but doesn't have the mana efficiency or punch to finish the job.

You are wanting to apply a cookie-cutter mold to every champ in all situations, and it simply does not work. Boots may work in SOME scenarios (chosen champ + particular lane partner + enemy champ(s)), but it isn't an effective strategy for all.

For champs that pack a lot of punch who are killers, perhaps. Not for all though.

AmyOverlord

12-30-2009

I can't think of a champion other than Heimer where boots wouldn't be a good choice. o.o

Spookie

Recruiter

12-30-2009

Crystal and 2 health pots imo, Catalyst is my favorite item even with the nerf so i usually build it first

RyuuKitten

12-30-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyOverlord View Post
I can't think of a champion other than Heimer where boots wouldn't be a good choice. o.o
Janna
Soraka
Nasus
Sion
Katarina
Ashe
Morganna
Blitz

...Need I go on?

----

Also, the reason to get Doran's over Boots is because I can harass your few potions out of you pretty fast if all you have is boots, then you're stuck playing extremely defensively until you go back and get more potions. The important part of Doran's shield is the regen.

Hell, I've built full items before even getting boots1. I've sometimes built Soul Shroud on morg before boots1, for instance. The purpose of boots is to run away or chase beter. Neither of these help you remain in lanes longer.