Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

I don't get shen...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fragglerock

Recruiter

12-23-2010

Seems like unless your team is winning, and you're getting kills, he can never get enough gear to be a decent tank. Esp if you have to jungle.

Ichikaze

12-23-2010

I feel that Shen needs quite a bit of HP regen rather than raw armor/MR,but im still fairly new to him,i find that FoN and Omen are great on him.

FaerellG

12-23-2010

Try not to jungle unless your laning partner is really good.
When laning, try to lane with a carry and feed them last hits while saving your energy for driving the enemy back.

Level:
Q E Q W.

Some early aggression with a good laning partner can really scare the opponent. Vorpal blade harassment with Ki-strie will HURT a lot. After that, hide in the bushes and try to push the opponent out of XP range. Your carry should also know how to last hit conservatively...meaning they only land last hits and try to let the lane push slightly towards your side.

Feed ally last hits, keep you and your ally up on HP with your vorpal.
You don't need gold more so than your carry, but you still need gold so pick up a Heart of Gold asap to help.

In general, do whatever it takes to maximize your Carry's XP and Gold gain.

As someone else once said:
"What's scarier? A carry with 10000 gold and a shen with 0 gold? Or a carry with 0 gold and a shen with 10000?"

shubomber

12-23-2010

Why would you ever jungle with Shen? His taunt is great for picking up early kills under the tower, or for feeding them to your carry, and his lane control isn't weak enough that it can't be offset with some good ranged harassment.

Anyway, get aegis and get it ASAP, unless you already have an offtank like Blitzcrank or Nasus or Cho'gath, in which case Aegis should be their first priority and you're free to grab an early Heart of Gold. It's a seriously underrated survivability tool for both you and your team in the mid-game.

But yes, FoN and Omen is pretty much Shen's core. Which one you get first depends on whether their magic or physical damage is more threatening. Same goes for choice of Tabi vs. Merc's. Unless your team is getting crushed, you should be getting enough laning and assist gold to support this build. Aegis will slow you down a fair amount, so do try to get someone else to buy it, but it's always better to rush an early Aegis than to build your core.

Cadfan

12-23-2010

I don't know exactly what's happening to you when you play Shen, but I don't have that problem. Shen lanes really well if you know how to last hit. His Q last hits well, and his double strike every 8 seconds last hits well. And if you use both on the same target you regen some health. Plant yourself in the bush with a good regen item, and just farm away until mid game. Once that happens, if you engage in teamfights with everyone else, you'll get a ton of assist gold.

FFFFiction

12-23-2010

It's all about the taunt. A well placed taunt can mean life or death for your entire team. Taunting champs in front of your turret prompts it to fire at them.

Taunt forces casters to auto-attack you instead of using abilities. The taunt effect goes a little further than the cursor. It cancels channels too I believe.

Use your Ki Strike and Vorpal Blade on whoever you are trying to focus on, free heals for everyone.

As Shen I only jungle when no one else does. He's an effective jungler but also an efficient laner. Put a point into your W shield to block projectiles and learn how to time them. Use your Vorpal Blade on the siege minions for longer heals.

Your ultimate saves lives. Use it to deny kills or even initiate if you are in premade. Keep a habit of checking the minimap and the HP bars of your allies on your HUD. I've used Stand United to save allies from: Karthus' Requiem, Zilean' Bomb, Teemo's Mushroom, Vladimir's Hemoplague, Morde's Children of the Grave and a number of Ignites.

As for items, if you farm well rush Aegis of the Legion and Mercury Boots first, then Sunfire Cape or Force of Nature depending on their team. Get Guardian Angel at some point.

If you can't seem to get farmed, grab a Heart of Gold or maybe even two if your lanes are pushed in. Build one of these into a Randuin's later.

Your builds should include some of these items: Doran's Shield, Mercury Treads [or Ninja Tabi], Aegis of the Legion, Guardian Angel, Thornmail, Force of Nature, Banshee's Veil if needed, Heart of Gold +Warden's Mail > Randuin's. Don't finish Randuin's until late game. If it REALLLLY gets late then grab either Frozen Mallet or Atma's Impaler.

Thornmail, Sunfire Cape, and Randuin's synergizes with your Taunts. Aegis of the Legion synergizes withStand United. Tank builds should counter EVERYONE on the other team.