[Guide] The Definitive Dinger - Rocket to the face

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GrimGriz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

12-27-2009

See the League Craft version of this guide: here
1. Abilities
Techmaturgical Repair Bots
Yay passive!

H-28G Evolution Turret

This is your main zoning tool, for more info on zoning, see: http://www.solomid.net/forums/index....oning-tutorial.

Hextech Micro-Rockets
These are my favorite part of the Heimer arsenal, and their range and damage are sure to please. I tend to use them to punish enemy champs that attack my turrets, as well as a finishing move. They also work well when coming to the aid of a fellow Champion being pursued.

CH-1 Concussion Grenade
These are great for when the inevitable gank squad comes looking for you, and you're trying to keep yourself alive long enough to kill them.

UPGRADE!!!
Everyone loves an upgrade.

2. Introduction
Mastering the Dinger is easier than you think. When initially trying him, I fell into the trap of "man it takes forever until I can place another turret." This led me to buy cooldown items. Cooldown caps at 40%, and Heimer's ultimate reduces your cooldown by 10% at level 6 and 20% at level 16. Depending on your runes and masteries, that's pretty much all you need. Additionally, Heimer needs to be able to hit really hard, or he'll be assassinated. I've had some pretty awesome games since altering my strategy to the one that follows, and I've decided to share it with the general publics.

3. Items
Items has meant the difference between success and failure in my games with Heimer. My greatest successes have been with item builds focusing on magic penetration. I tend to zone back to buy whenever I have the money and also have a teleport up...though exceptions are made if I'm particularly rich or particularly excited about the next item. Here are my recommendations:
Items has meant the difference between success and failure in my games with Heimer. My greatest successes have been with item builds focusing on magic penetration. I tend to zone back to buy whenever I have the money and also have a teleport up...though exceptions are made if I'm particularly rich or particularly excited about the next item. Here are my recommendations:
1.Sapphire Crystal->Tear of the Goddess
2.Boots of Speed -> Sorcerer's Shoes
3.Blasting Wand -> Abyssal Scepter
4.Finish off Archangel's Staff
5.Void Staff
The game is usually coming to a close at this point, but if it's turning into a long one I start building -Aegis of the Legion

4. Skilling Order
A lot of other Heimer guides that I have seen seem to focus on the grenade. I like the grenade, but I definitely prefer the rockets. Nothing says gtfo my turrets like a rocket in the face in my humble opinion. As you level, if you press alt+'ability key' you can select an ability without clicking on it. That's handy when you level during a big battle.
Q,W,E,W,Q,R,W,Q,W,Q,R,W,Q,E,E,R,E,E

• Get all of your skills ASAP. It's easier to use the right tool for the job if you have a full toolbox.
  • Rockets to the face are your bread and butter.
  • 2-3 turrets are plenty early game.

5. Summoner Abilities
1. Teleport. You have to shop from time to time. You must make these excursions as quick as possible in case someone needs a rocket in the face to convince them to leave your turrets alone.
2. Incinerate/Exhaust. Incinerate is nice in that people will say "oh ****, i'm on fire! Retreat!" and leave your turrets alone. It also will sometimes net you the early kill to help you finance your expensive items. Exhaust on the other hand, is an extra blind for when people try to gank you and also a way to keep people within your turret range. It's also more helpful for saving allies fleeing to your turrets for protection.

6. Early Game - Lane Control

The main goals early in the game are:
  • Survive.
  • Prevent the enemy from making gold.
  • Get the easy kills.
Survive. The first part is simple and really hard. Be careful. Particularly when you push the enemy up against their turret - keep in mind that their friends might come from the river. Don't be afraid to ask for a lane switch if the champion matchups are too severe against you.

Prevent the enemy from making gold. The best way to do this is to push them up against their tower. When you do so, their tower gets a lot of the last-hits on your creeps - which means your enemy isn't getting them. I like to place my first turret at the rocky ledge across from the bushes near the river, and then progressively close the lane towards the bushes.
-When you can, stand in front of your turrets. Your cooldown is too low to just give ranged enemies free access to wax your turrets. Use your wrenches to the face. Try and get your lane-mate to help protect your turrets too, it's a team game.
-Your most vulnerable time will be between the time your minions get eaten by the tower and your next wave arrives, particularly when their minions are marching into your turrets. Turrets are stupid, and don't seem to care if an enemy hero is trying to gaffle you. If they're busy shooting your enemies minions, they'll keep doing so. Keep your wits about you and be ready to run/stun/fight.
-When enemy minion waves are approaching, hop in front of your turrets and get their aggro and lead them away from your turrets but within their firing range. This gives them more pings against the minions than if you let them march strait at your turrets - which in turn means your turrets will take less damage. If your graphic settings are high enough, you'll see an orange border around minions when they aggro onto you.

Get the easy kills. It's really easy to get into rocket range to finish off a weakened foe standing next to their tower. Be aware of how much damage your rockets will do and how much life they have left. The towers won't shoot you until your attack hits, so sometimes it's a good idea to throw a grenade behind your target (so they run into where it is going to explode when they see it coming), and then fire a rocket. Just don't linger or go for the wrench throw - probably not worth it.

Regarding Stealthers - If Evelynn or the like is in your lane, wait until 750 to go buy your Tear of the Goddess and pick up the vision ward. If you get first blood you might go ahead and get Oracle's Elixir. Always worth it. If it keeps you alive or gets you a kill, the ward paid for itself. Act like you don't see the stealther until they commit. If you shoot them as soon as you see them they'll probably be able to get away. Be nonchalant, let them think they're invisible, and then drop a nade behind them and shove a rocket in their face.

7. Working in the team
If you have a friend that plays Blitz, the fun really starts. Anyone that can move opponents into your area of control is a great lane mate early game. Mid game I like to try and establish control of mid or push in with friends.

8. Summary
The Dinger is tons of fun to play. You can almost feel the enemies frustration when a rocket smashes in their teeth. If you have a good team beside you, expect to have enemies surrender early and often.

SomeoneRandom

12-27-2009

Void staff first is awful, only good if they get magic resist

Heimer in general sux, the best way to play him is to not play him

L2P

Purutzil

12-27-2009

Guide failed as soon as you took rockets before grenade. L2P before posting a guide. Who point of getting grenade isn't for damage but to stun enemies as they try to nuke your turrets and giving a shot at a kill. This build is for a heimer I can lol at for sucking.

SomeoneRandom

12-27-2009

a heimer who goes turrets is the worst heimer because your playing heimer for real real not for the lulz

L2P Purutzil

GrimGriz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

12-27-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purutzil View Post
Who point of getting grenade isn't for damage but to stun enemies as they try to nuke your turrets and giving a shot at a kill.
*shrug* at level 2 a rocket in the face is usually enough to deter them from messing with my turrets, particularly ranged champs.

Proletaria

12-27-2009

I have to agree, i get a lot more milage out of the skilled grenade than the auto-rocket. I'm usually torn between getting a rank of rocket early on (usually do just for the tiny chance i can get a fleeing champ who tried to tank the turrets) and just leveling turrets and grenade faster.

As far as the item build goes, I can't really see dinger not going meki+pots -> chalice first. You need the mana regen to keep spamming grenades as well as place turrets when they are inevitably killed by ranged champs. After that i'll usually get a catalyst and boots for the situation then build whatever is necessary to stay relavent in the lane.

Dinger isn't particularly good at high elo, it's true. He relies heavily on the enemy either ignoring you and allowing you to push a lane, or focusing too much attention on your while other lanes suffer. If they're smart enough to put a good ranged on turret-killing duty you will be in for some serious hurt unless your team can quickly mobilize a gank to discourage. With all that being said, he's a lot of fun to play. If im not quing up games for the sole purpose of winning them and just want to enjoy myself, heimer is usually my first pick.

keftes

Recruiter

12-27-2009

Who do you think is the worse hero in LoL atm if it isnt heimer?

GrimGriz

Recruiter

12-27-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by keftes View Post
Who do you think is the worse hero in LoL atm if it isnt heimer?
Warwick - at least late game.

Earlier tonight I played against ashe, nidalee, tristana, ryze, and tryndamere all on the enemy team. Those are the people I hate laning against, so I tried a weird build. I took turrets #1, and then didn't really touch it again. We ended up winning, but you definitely notice the slow down in gold income when the enemy minions are lemming-ing themselves into your pocketbook.

Shatterlight

12-28-2009

I think Blood Scent disagrees.

Amumu is far worse than Warwick, IMO.

Bait

12-28-2009

qwwewrwrw
doran, mejaj, sorc boots, catalyst, haunting
if other ppl get high magic res, sell sorc boots/haunting and get void staff and diff boots.