Tips for AP SHACO!!!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

panguss

12-27-2009

Hey guys its Colvin, I made a DPS shaco build and my friends have told me it's great and it works well. http://leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=40736. But i also want to try an AP Shaco build, just the concept intrigues me and if possible i'd also like to play against a AP Shaco as my DPS Shaco. The last game i played as DPS shaco vs AP shaco it was a slaughter, i got legendary 22-2-15 and he got... a bad score.... he was 0-12-3. I'd just like to see if a DPS shaco can beat an AP shaco (my skill level is pretty good i think, at least thats what my friends tell me so i would like to play against a really good AP shaco )

-Thanks, Colvin

ArcZSlash

12-27-2009

I personally eat every dps shaco i play, throw me a friend invitation and ill 1v1 you or something.

SomeoneRandom

12-27-2009

Dont beileve ArcZSlash, ive played with him hes awful

As for AP shaco, the best way to play AP shaco is by buying melee dps items and not even attempting AP shaco

dreamgame

12-27-2009

Lol the AP - DPS war again.

Joebags

12-28-2009

I've been playing AP shaco a lot recently and have been quite successful with my build:

Items:
Start with Doran's ring, the mana regen is nice and the bonus hp is great early game.
Then get that mask (i forget the name) that gives hp/mana regen, cd reduction, and magic penetration (this is key). All of these are pretty useful for early-mid game.
Next, I get boots, then mejais (try to get this as early as possible), then upgrade boots to sorcerer's boots.
Then I start building sheen (get the crystal first for more mana). This then gets upgraded into lich's bane. An excellent item for shaco. This, combined with the AP gained earlier from mejais (assuming you dont suck and die too much) will have you doing a good amount of damage. In addition the armor penetration from boots and mask help your shiv toss do loads of damage.
After that i usually go for void staff/rylai's/abyssal scepter. For void and scepter the magic penetration is nice. For rylais, the slow is great and the bonus hp is nice if you are dying too much.

Runes/Masteries:
For masteries, I get all the offensive ones that have to do with spells (AP, cd reduction, magic penetration, ignite) and then I spend the rest on utility (regeneration, bonus exp, greed, etc.)
For runes, try to get as much magic penetration, cooldown reduction, and mana regen as possible.

As far as strategy goes:
Here is the order i generally get skills: jack in the box (jitb) -> decieve -> shiv -> jitb -> jitb -> hallucinate, after that jitb and hallucinate take priority over shiv which takes priority over decieve. During early game laning phases the jack in the box is extremely important. Despite what many people think, it does a **** ton of damage early game. All you need to do is place 2-4 of them next to eachother and lure in an unsuspecting enemy (try to put them in the bushes). Not only will the enemy be unable to run away because of fear, but by the time fear wears off they are probably nearly dead. Then finish them off with a shiv. Also, having ignite helps. I usually go for ignite and heal (keeps you from dying early). After early laning phases are over, try to gank as much as possible. Before heading into a battle place a few jitbs nearby. These are good if an enemy tries to escape or if you are being chased. You can run to a box and it will fear the enemy and you can usually get away. Jitbs are also great for stopping enemy ganks on you. If you place them in grasses and places you are likely to get ambushed from, the boxes not only allert you when an enemy is coming but they fear that enemy and stop them from getting to you so that you can get away. If you are doing well by mid-late game you should have at least 10x stacks on your mejais. This, along with lich's bane and other magic penetration items should have you doing ~600 dmg per dagger toss. Use this to last hit enemies. Another key skill with AP shaco is using your clone to bomb the enemy. With lvl 3 hallicunate, your bomb should be doing 800-900 dmg to anyone nearby. This means that a quick Bomb + Decieve + Shiv should take down any remotely squishy enemy in no time. The key thing to remember is that AP shaco isnt good in drawn out fights. You should try hit and run tactics. Ex: Shiv an enemy, then use decieve to pop away. Then wait a few seconds for cd and then shiv again. Repeat. Or try to lure them to jitb. Also, in team fights, try to drop a jack in the box in the middle of the fight. The fear might just save/kill someone and the extra damage is nice (with AP your boxes should do about 125 + 85ish damage per hit at level 5; having 2-4 of them at a time means this damage adds up to a lot)

Anyways, thats pretty much it. It works decently for me, hope it works for you too.