Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

[Guide] Udyr - Unleash the Beast

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cheesus

12-27-2009

Table of Content:
1. Runes
2. Masteries
3. Summoner Spells
4. Skill build
5. Item build
6. Stance combinations
7. General Tips

1. Runes

Since I cannot afford a full expensive runebook this section is plain theory.

Marks - Armor Penetration

This build focuses on Armor Penetration.
Seals - Dodge
Stacks with Monkey's Agility.
Glyphs - CD Reduction
Let's you Stance Dance faster.
Quintessences - Armor Penetration, Dodge or CD Reduction

2. Masteries

Depending on which Summoner Spells you take you should adjust your Masteries.

0/9/21:

You're aiming for Nimbleness on Defense tree and try to avoid any Mana/Mana Reg Masteries in Utility Tree, since Turtle Stance is enough for replenishing Mana. Do not take Greed. Just do the math.

Pro: Longer Buff Duration, faster chasing with Bear Stance, CD Reduction, Evasion

21/9/0:

Usual Stuff you're aiming for Physical DPS talents, Sorcery and again Nimbleness.

Pro: DPS(!), Smaller CD Reduction, Evasion

3. Summoner Spells

Ghost: With Bear Stance and Ghost, you can chase everyone down and escape most dangerous situations.
Ignite: DoT Spell/Finisher, synergises with Tiger Stance.
Smite: Advisable for Jungling, Buffs, Farming, lvl 1 Dragon.
Cleanse:
Your weakness are casters.

4. Skill Build

1. Turtle - W
2. Bear - E
3. Turtle - W
4. Tiger - Q
5. Turtle - W
6. Tiger - Q
7. Tiger - Q
8. Tiger - Q
9. Tiger - Q
10. Turtle - W
11. Turtle - W
12. Bear - E
13. Bear - E
14. Bear - E
15. Bear - E
16. Phoenix - R
17. Phoenix - R
18. Phoenix - R

Level 3 Turtle is enough for holding off early harrassing, jungling and replenishing hp/mana.

5. Item Build

Starter items:
a) Vampiric Scepter
b) Doran's Shield + HP Pots

Take b) if you have to engage very strong harrassers otherwise a).

Malady: On-Hit-Effect. Synergises with Tiger Stance.

Mercury's Treads / Ninja's Tabi: More than 2 caster Mercury's Treads otherwise Ninja's Tabi.

Sword of the Divine: WithStance Dancing and these 2 items, Malady and Sword of the Divine, you'll have reached the 2.5 attack speed cap in tiger stance. Don't forget to use the active ability properly.

Brutalizer: CD Reduction, Armor Penetration + Damage and easy to obtain.

Phage: Small Health Boost.

Black Cleaver: On-Hit-Effect, more armor Penetration. Fits into the Build.

Trinity Force: Now you have plenty of Damage for Sheen Proc to be effective. If you are a fan of it get it before Black Cleaver.

Warmog's Armor / Banshee's Veil / Guardian Angel: Can be obtained sooner if you think it is necessary.

6. Stance Combinations

Chasing/Killing: Switch Between Tiger and Bear Stance. Try to stay in Tiger Stance while still being able to hit the enemy, switch to Bear for Stun every 5 seconds or if you need the movementspeed to catch up again.

Escaping: Switch between Turtle and Bear Stance and simply run. Maybe stun them if they are in your (melee) range.

Jungling: Early on or if you are low on HP activate Turtle everytime it's up.
Mid/Late Game consistenly use Tiger for faster jungling and switch from time to time Turtle for replenishing Mana/HP.
Low on Mana: Activate Turtle one time for persistent effect.

1v1: Switch between Tiger and Bear. Turtle/Bear if you are <50% HP. If you got no chance just use escaping method.

7. General Tips

ABUSE BUFFS!
Get your buffs whenever they are up. Steal their buffs. It's gamebreaking.

Early on do not expect to do awesome stuff. You will shine as time passes by.

Keep an eye on your mana. In the heat of battle it is possible to switch stances too often and run out of mana.

You are a great candidate for soloing dragon on lower levels.

Use Turtle Stance to protect yourself from early harrassment for example Gold Cards.

Cheesus

01-08-2010

Any feedback please?

dripskydrip

01-08-2010

I'm lvl 30 with full t3 rune page mixed with armor penetration, dodge and -cd.

Build works great against physical dps based teams (which are quite rare), but in other case feels that something is missing.

A bit out of topic; anyone tried innervating locket Udyr? What to pick after?

Can't wait to get this class revamped, because early and mid game Udyr contributes very little to the team and dies very often (I'm talking about high elo premade vs premade games). If Udyr got his friends keeping the flow of the match, he can be deadly late game.

Sadly, late game isn't what LoL is about.

Zero Control

Recruiter

01-08-2010

Quote:
dripskydrip:
I'm lvl 30 with full t3 rune page mixed with armor penetration, dodge and -cd.

Build works great against physical dps based teams (which are quite rare), but in other case feels that something is missing.

A bit out of topic; anyone tried innervating locket Udyr? What to pick after?

Can't wait to get this class revamped, because early and mid game Udyr contributes very little to the team and dies very often (I'm talking about high elo premade vs premade games). If Udyr got his friends keeping the flow of the match, he can be deadly late game.

Sadly, late game isn't what LoL is about.

I am interested in the innervating locket as well... maybe try it instead of the traditional armor item. You will get the health and mana and a cool team buff.

Also, this is similiar to the build I like.

I wonder if you go cooldown masteries and full rune page, maybe you can skip the cd items, snag like... an executioners calling, phage, and malady as your first items.

Maybe use speed 3 boots to compensate for less bear, and still allow the escape and chase gameplay (i just love speed for melee anyway, keeps you on your target). Tiger does give you lots of attack speed.

dripskydrip

01-08-2010

Well Zero Control, how do you *exactly* build your Udyr?

Adorno

01-08-2010

Thanks for writing this. I generally agree on the masteries, but have to disagree with/add to significant parts to this guide. Not that it it horrible, but I think it is clearly suboptimal.

1) If you are going tiger early, it is for ganks. Imho, with this set-up dps items and sheen are top priority. Instead, you go attack speed on first items.

2) Sword of the divine works poorly with tiger, because the damage bonus doesn't stack with tiger's activate effect. It is an anti-dodge item, situationally useful against dodge stackers and maybe against armor stackers bc I believe it does magic dmg. Otherwise, it is just a +25 damage item, with restrictions on the damage.

3) I really think bloodrazor and flash need mentions. They are my favorite item and favorite skill on Udyr, whether I go for a phoenix or tiger-focused build in any particular game.

4) There is no mention of the value of Phoenix early game. Even a single rank can be quite helpful for farming and pushing...and those are very useful early game. Unless you are going hard ganks on tiger and dps early, and especially bc you like to stack attack speed, phoenix at least deserves consideration.

5) Dodge stacking your runes doesn't seem ideal. Dodge becomes less effective as you stack it, and is only useful against auto-attacks. The only real synergy in your build is with def tree mastery, which does give you a nice speed boost. But I can't justify dodge stacking just bc of that, and your natural dodge from monkey stance should be enough to proc it most of the time when you need it already.

Anyway, I'm glad folks are working on Udyr guides, and it looks like you put some work into this Hope you find these suggestions useful.