Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

The most viable tank?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AmyOverlord

12-27-2009

Um, I'm going to try and list all of the tanks. o w o

Nasus - Able to spell spam and his ult gives him some health and huge AoE damage. Sort of a tank.
Mundo - Able to stack HP like a monster. Can also do some damage with Masochism and Infected Cleaver.
Cho'Gath - Possibly the best one I've come across. Has a slowing spell, a silence, extra mob killing ability, and able to gain +900 health from a x6 feast growth on his ultimate at 16+. Not to mention it does a ****load of damage.
Nunu - Able to harrass a lot. Not so much an HP stacker. But can have some armor and AP. His ult hurts and slows like a *****. Also, a good harrasser early-game.
Amumu - Not much of a tank. He's got more burst than any other tank and some support.
Singed - Very good support and can stack HP like a beast and has damage to back it up. I've never used him personally, though.
Malphite - GREAT tank and DPS. Never touched.
Kayle - I guess she can be a good tank? Seems more like a support.
Alistar - MY TANKING ABILITIES ARE OVAR NIEN THOUZAAAAAAAAAAND. He's got great HP, a constant heal, and two disables. Not to mention his ultimate increases his own damage and any physical damage will do nothing to him for the duration of it.
Rammus - I'd say he's good, but he's not much of a tank without his Defensive Curl.

Just trying to figure out the most viable. I've only used two tanks, but Cho'Gath seems to perform better than Mundo. x.x

Pen15Mightier

12-27-2009

MUNDO no like tanking...MUNDO have nothing to make team focus him. MUNDO like not dying, and Burninating the enemy team by standings around with rings of fire. MUNDO also like throw Cleaver and the sound it makes when it connects...

This is all MUNDO likes...

AmyOverlord

12-27-2009

A useless post(er). Ftw.

Nihili

12-27-2009

Cho'gath is probably the best choice if you want to stack HP. With a single Warmog's and 6xFeast he has a ****load of HP, if you throw in some armor and magic resistance you become a monster. His ult has a quick recharge so even if you die (You won't.) you'll have your HP back in like 5 minutes.

EDIT: Trying to get both damage and HP didn't work for me on Cho, though. If you try to do everything you end up doing nothing.

MasqureMan

12-27-2009

Quote:
AmyOverlord:
Um, I'm going to try and list all of the tanks. o w o

Nasus - Able to spell spam and his ult gives him some health and huge AoE damage. Sort of a tank.
Mundo - Able to stack HP like a monster. Can also do some damage with Masochism and Infected Cleaver.
Cho'Gath - Possibly the best one I've come across. Has a slowing spell, a silence, extra mob killing ability, and able to gain +900 health from a x6 feast growth on his ultimate at 16+. Not to mention it does a ****load of damage.
Nunu - Able to harrass a lot. Not so much an HP stacker. But can have some armor and AP. His ult hurts and slows like a *****. Also, a good harrasser early-game.
Amumu - Not much of a tank. He's got more burst than any other tank and some support.
Singed - Very good support and can stack HP like a beast and has damage to back it up. I've never used him personally, though.
Malphite - GREAT tank and DPS. Never touched.
Kayle - I guess she can be a good tank? Seems more like a support.
Alistar - MY TANKING ABILITIES ARE OVAR NIEN THOUZAAAAAAAAAAND. He's got great HP, a constant heal, and two disables. Not to mention his ultimate increases his own damage and any physical damage will do nothing to him for the duration of it.
Rammus - I'd say he's good, but he's not much of a tank without his Defensive Curl.

Just trying to figure out the most viable. I've only used two tanks, but Cho'Gath seems to perform better than Mundo. x.x

Try all of them before you judge. Rammus is far from useless when built right, but his defensive curl just adds to the tankage. I've seen kayle at 3900 hp when i didn't expect it, so she can be built as a tank, but she is ussually dps. Mundo is a good tank. He requires strategy and reflexes, however. You can't JUST maass HP, you have to know when to ult.

Pen15Mightier

12-27-2009

Quote:
Nihili:
Cho'gath is probably the best choice if you want to stack HP. With a single Warmog's and 6xFeast he has a ****load of HP, if you throw in some armor and magic resistance you become a monster. His ult has a quick recharge so even if you die (You won't.) you'll have your HP back in like 5 minutes.

EDIT: Trying to get both damage and HP didn't work for me on Cho, though. If you try to do everything you end up doing nothing.

Our team got wrecked by a Cho'Gath the other night. His item build was something like:

Merc Treads
Leviathan
Warmogs
Force of Nature
Warmogs
uh something else HP related...

By the end of the game he had something like 6k+ HP, a ton of Magic Resist, and his Levithan was almost completely charged to 20...Everyone kept not focusing him because he just had too much HP with all the Magic Resist. So instead, he just ate everyone with Feast, and got even more charges on his Warmogs/Levithan.

It was SICK...SICK I tell you!

MasqureMan

12-27-2009

Quote:
Pen15Mightier:
Our team got wrecked by a Cho'Gath the other night. His item build was something like:

Merc Treads
Leviathan
Warmogs
Force of Nature
Warmogs
uh something else HP related...

By the end of the game he had something like 6k+ HP, a ton of Magic Resist, and his Levithan was almost completely charged to 20...Everyone kept not focusing him because he just had too much HP with all the Magic Resist. So instead, he just ate everyone with Feast, and got even more charges on his Warmogs/Levithan.

It was SICK...SICK I tell you!

Well, you're describing a demi-god tank. Epitome of a tank. They get so strong, so tanklike, that you just give up focusing them at all. In anyone champs case, you've been officailly neutralized as a tank. In Chogath's case, you can do all the damage/stun/silencing you want without ever being focused.

The problem is, could you effectively farm that high?

Indecent

Recruiter

12-27-2009

Mundo is such a terrible tank. He's so neligble no one will target you. Trying to land a cleaver in a teamfight with minions around is hell.

My favorite tank is Singed. Tremendous hp. Impossible to kill. Farms like a God. If ignored can go rape all your minions and then subsequently rape ur tower with ult. When they come to gank just pop Ghost and/or your ult and go push another lane.

People underestimate how powerful Singed is and make overly agressive moves toward him. The flip side is that if you are overly agressive early then you can get shut down easily.

Baron Corm

12-27-2009

IMO the only actual tanks in the game are Rammus, Malphite, Cho'gath, Alistar, and Amumu. See the trend? AoE debuffs keep a tank useful, aside from being unkillable. All of the others are best built offensively. For most viable... Alistar and Cho'gath can use their AoE debuff most often, but Malphite and Amumu's are better, and Rammus is the most offensive/mobile, plus he also has the best single-target debuff in Taunt.

rEv3

12-27-2009

Zilean... no one expects it.

Rod of Ages, Frozen Heart, Guardian Angel