Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Duo Queue is the source of the Elo Hell effect

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Alame

12-21-2010

Kindly examine the attached screenshot. (Yes, I know I've lost a lot of elo. I don't want to hear it.)

I'm sure you could guess this without me saying so, but Dr. Mundo and Evelyn were a duo queue.

Now, I have no doubt that those players are in the elo where they belong. (okay, I lied. They aren't. But that's not the point.) My issue here is the Urgot. 1700 ranked player being matched up with 1500s. That kind of elo discrepancy is unacceptable. This is not the result of a well-considered and well-balanced matchmaking system.

The highest elo on our team (1603. approx 1615 pre-loss) compared with their lowest on thiers (1481. approx 1469 pre-win) yields a deviation of 146 points. That's pushing it.

The highest elo on their team (1733. approx 1718 pre-win) compared with their lowest on ours (1509. approx 1521 pre-loss) yields a deviation of 212 points. That's absurd.

Teams of similar skill should have a deviation of ~50 points of each other. In my experience, everyone who have similar skill levels have true elos within 50 points of each other. So, using that as a benchmark, Urgot and Mundo had 4 times the standard skill deviation.

So our poor matchmaking system gets this duo queue. The system struggles to find 'even' teams. It finds two sets of 5 with similar average elos, pats itself on the back, and starts champion select.

In theory, that works. There are 3 'balancing elements' present within this game.

1. The Carry Effect: Urgot is considered skilled enough to carry his two high-1400 teammates. This effect was somewhat present.

2. The Duo Queue Effect: Evelyn and Mundo are assumed to have superior teamwork because they are a pair. They do have superior teamwork, in feeding. This element is not present.

3. The Feeder Effect: Amumu, as the 'least skilled' player in the game, is assumed to feed. Balancing out Urgot's 'high skill'. Amumu played very cautiously throughout the game. This effect was not present.

So duo queue has forced Matchmaking to accept wide elo discrepancies to match the pair together. That's okay, the 3 balancing elements are there! Jokes, 1/3.

I'm not here to tell you to remove duo queue, I'm not here to say your matchmaking is terrible. But in the pursuit of allowing friends to play together, you have given yourselves a challenge that you are unable to overcome. If two people with a medium to large elo difference queue together, the entire equilibrium of matchmaking goes to ****.

I propose a simple solution. Duo queue becomes limited to two summoners who's difference in solo queue elo is no more that 75 points. Simple, easy, effective.

Etyn

Recruiter

12-21-2010

So now two people create smurf accounts and terrorize low ELO players?

hookrotdevour

12-21-2010

Looks like u got stomped by anivia and sivir not urgot

Sadiquito

12-21-2010

Hum...

Most logical explanation.

Yet...

I don't believe in God.

ahAbyss

12-21-2010

I personally think that duo should be removed all together, if friends want to play then play normal like 3's do.

Demunlul

12-21-2010

Why are you complaining about elo hell or duo q..

your bad

Freak3r

12-21-2010

U terribL3
BIG BIG TERRIBL3

O DAM ITS LODAM

o Y

12-21-2010

deviations... lol, thats too complicated for Riot's brains to handle... they like simple elementary math such as averages

and we know how much that fails...

Facesmasher

12-21-2010

I think a max elo difference between duo queue partners should be in effect. The solo ranked ladder should cater to solo players while accommodating duo queues, not the other way around. A 75 to 100 point max difference sounds good.

bileybegia

12-21-2010

big big noob