Tips on playing Kassadin?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Spiky

12-27-2009

I've been playing Kassadin for a while now, and have had great success with him. I really dig the fact that he's a hero that can dish out great amounts of damage, and still manage to have one of the best escape-tactics in the game (a 4 sec Flash).

Lately though, i've been having problems with his squishiness, and his DPS really seem to fall flat later on.

Masteries are 9/0/10

My current build is:

Sapphire Crystal + 2 H pots -> Catalyst
Blasting Wand
Boots 1
Negatron Cloak -> Abysal Scepter
Mercury Threads/Boots of mobility/Sorc shoes (depends on enemy set-up)
Blasting Wand -> Rod of Ages
And then usually a Lich Bane, if game lasts that long.

With this build i can withstand quite alot of magic punishment and crush most AP-heroes, and gain quite a lot of AP as well, but this renders me quite vulnerable to DPS carriers like Yi or Tryandemere later in the game.

I usually don't go for Void Staff, because even though it has some great stats, it is rare that i find people buying enough MR-gear to justify buying that item.
I've tried using Deathfire Grasp, but haven't really found it to be THAT effective. Thoughts?

What can you recommend if i want to keep my killing power, but want some more survivability all around?
Any other tips on playing Kassadin is welcome as well

kijik

12-27-2009

linky
http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...ad.php?t=28385
also, linky
http://www.livestream.com/kijik/vide...8-85a198929dca
gameplay vid.
basically your survivabiliy lies in rift walk, not in items :P, sparing rod of ages.

JunkRamen

12-27-2009

Stack RoA, kill before you get hit, run like hell.

Quick Sand

12-27-2009

Rush rod of ages from catalyst. Play conservatively and always know how much damage you can do with your spells compared to the opponent's hp, especially early game.

Because when you blow all your mana and the opponent's not dead, odds are you are.

Hence, keep harassing to a minimum so that you have killing power if an opportunity presents itself. If you make it to lvl 6 with a couple kills and no deaths you're in business.

I really don't think items matter too much past RoA and its always a game by game decision for me. However, you will need some sort of mana item after either catalyst or rod of ages; I like to get tear of the goddess but others work.

Afterwards, I alternate between getting archangel's staff, mejai's soulstealer, lichbane, banshee's veil, frozen heart, and rylai's scepter after RoA depending on circumstances. If you play him enough you'll know when you need which items.

What makes Kassadin successful is how you play him, which is a careful early game, aggressive ganking mid game and caster like late game being sure to rift in and out of combat as much as posssible to divert opponent attention and keep yourself alive.

I think Kassadin requires more practice and enemy consideration than most champions do so just be patient and practice.

The Senate

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

kastr

12-31-2009

for kassadin, i love how kijik plays him and i play kass almost like him. what im contemplating though is removing either ignite or exhaust for clarity since i seem to sometimes run out of mana and end up dying because of it what do you guys think?

Kelin

01-01-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastr View Post
for kassadin, i love how kijik plays him and i play kass almost like him. what im contemplating though is removing either ignite or exhaust for clarity since i seem to sometimes run out of mana and end up dying because of it what do you guys think?
What do you mean by "Running out of mana?" At some point you will, that is inevitable, the question is what did you do with your mana? At what point is this vital?

Clarity can solve it yes, but you do want your exhaust for a tryndamere who is raping your face or to slow a runner down. Ignite can be traded in, altho you miss the possibility of a first kill.

If you open with doran, just harass with null sphere (and last hit with auto attack) or last hit with null sphere if you have problems. Don't waste it tho, if the enemy has heavy health regen and your allie is not a good harasser save your mana for a quick kill.

As soon as you get your rod of ages you should have a serious amount of mana. More than enough to pull of a kill.

Anyway, all I can say is: Clarity is not needed at all.

Charmicarmicarmicat

01-01-2010

Kassadin can be played in several ways.

You can go burst, which means sorc boots, deathfire, tear, Void staff, zhonya, archangel, lichbane
Summoner skills are ignite and exhaust, 9/0/21 build, magic pen runes predominantly.

Or balanced build, meaning boots of choice, catalyst, rod of ages, catalyst, rod of ages, zhonya etc
Summoner skills can be of your choice, runes should be magic pen marks, dodge/hp lvl seals, mana/lvl glyphs and HP/1 quints - 9/0/21 build

Or any mix in between as you see fit.

Tips:

Golem buff is very important
Solo lane = max null sphere first
Dual lane = max force pulse first

Cryypter

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-01-2010

I have been using Kassadin pretty effectively going with AP and either mana or mana regen. My main weapons are Null Sphere and Force Pulse (the slow is invaluable). I find Riftwalk doesn't work well for dealing damage as it puts you right next to people, and Kassadin is to squishy to go very long at close range, especially against a DPS champ. I find Riftwalk is most useful as a chase/escape tool. With some cooldown reduction runes and items (such as Frozen Heart), I have gotten Riftwalk's cooldown down to 2.5 secs (if I remember correctly), almost making me uncatchable and inescapable.

Items (in order of when I get them):
Mercury's Treads - this is really helpful at keeping you mobile, cutting slows/stuns/etc. almost in half.
Mejai's Soulstealer - AP + Cooldown Reduction (if you can kill enough heroes) + cheap = Win
Archangel's Staff - high AP and mana regen, and passive increases your mana pool a ton, since you'll be spamming spells like crazy.
Nashor's Tooth OR Frozen Heart - big cooldown reduction for both. Heart gives good mana, and armor makes you a little less squishy against champs like Yi. Tooth gives good AP and Mana Regen, with attack speed as a bonus.
Zhonya's Ring - Massive AP + good mana. Big power boost.

Last item is optional, might want to get earlier depending on item. a few good ones (by no means complete): Rylai's Scepter, Rod of Ages, Lich Bane, or get a second Archangel's Staff or Zhonya's Ring

Last note: get Cleanse. Really helpful in escaping.

The Senate

01-01-2010

The lack of Rylai's in this thread disturbs me. How do people not get this on Kass? It's such a boss item.