How viable is AP/HP Cho'gath?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Caravan Palace

12-27-2009

I've been trying out Cho'gath in practice games this week since he's free and I've been doing a build that I haven't seen much if at all.

Level 23 with full Defense masteries

Start with the HP crystal
Catalyst
Boots, Merc or Speed depending on enemy team
Catalyst -> RoA
Rylai's
Veil or some other defense item
If the game is still going, which is rare, I buy another Catalyst/RoA

I alternate between Spikes and Rupture until 10 or so then I start building up Scream while taking Feast at every opportunity.

It's a hell of a lot of fun and I really enjoy it but I'm wondering if it would be viable to take it to Normal games so I can earn more XP/IP.

Lovely Dolphin

12-27-2009

yeah, its quite a good build i went with. U just need to be fairly decent at last hitting to stay healthy.

U might wanna try clarity for summoner skill so u can spam ruptures. clarity fills ur mana pool to full from empty easily

Caravan Palace

12-27-2009

bump for more opinions while i sleep

Drachka

12-27-2009

I personnally love to go on the new item which gives you some hp when you do some assist/kills before the RoA.
It's really cheap, it's the same start and even if it has been nerfed, it's probably 1 of the best tanking item as you can get something like 800hp and 20% reduction of incoming dmg. With this item, you can take offensive masteries and the lovely 15% magic penetration.

Lovely Dolphin

12-27-2009

If you are talkin about Leviathan, i'll say stay away from it unless u are sure that u can kill quite often without dying

Drachka

12-27-2009

Y, leviathan.
In any case (even if u totally suxx) i think it's a good choice, it's cheap and it just match perfectly with your ultimate.
My point of view is that even if you play without this item YOU HAVE NOT to die with cho gath in mid/late game, loosing the hp from your ulti will just break the rythm of your gameplay cauz u will not be able to tank anymore/as you should, especially with an AP/HP build. So, leviathan is a good choice.
Moreover, even if you get killed you would get some charges, you have an AP build, so, you have to do kills/assists.