Jungling (non-competitive)--why not Smite first?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DoransTroll

12-20-2010

I know the reason for keeping Smite until later is to prevent Smite-sniping, which can make or break games in competitive scene. But in cases where the enemies have no junlger (hence no Smite), or you know they will never be able to snipe your kills (like if you have a ward up, etc), why not Smite early so the CD resets earlier? I know it also depends on your jungling route, because having Smite off CD while you're fighting wolves probably wouldn't help with anything.

So, is there any time that you should just burn Smite early while jungling?

Cenerae

12-21-2010

I wouldn't do it, because your jungle route will accomodate the increased cooldown anyway (or it should), plus it's a bad habit to get into in the first place.

Claricorp

12-21-2010

if your team knows theres no jungle gank or enemy jungler then yes, its totally a reasonable thing to do, the extra cooldown lowering can help you jungle that much more efficiently.

but if there is ANY reason not to do it, a teamate got ganked early or you saw someone running along river then simply do not do it.

and yes it does depend on your jungling route, if your really planning on being a great jungler, figuring out a route involving early smite may be a good idea.

Shin˘by

12-21-2010

the more you use it, the faster you jungle, pending your route clearly, and the most gold you bring in (if specced into imp. smite) but as already said, dont get into the habit b/c its bad for the simple fact of buff sniping (even without smite can be done easily)

Eppa

12-21-2010

Even in competitive play you want to smite as early as possible, without it getting stolen.

atsmith893

12-21-2010

So many champions can jungle now and you do not get to see if they picked smite until you have picked it (champion loading screen).

So..... eeks-nay-ooks-nay-a-bod-a-day most teams have a champion capable of jungling on them... you just don't know if they picked up smite.

Even if somehow you know they do not have smite and you end up not picking it (which will NEVER happen), they don't have to smite steal you to rape your face in. Many jungling champs will drop to a very very low amount of hp. The enemy would have a much easier time say ganking your smiteless @$$ (see what I did there, no letters) rather than just trying to smite steal your said neutral.

Besides its not uncommon for many teams to run 3 solo lanes, a jungler, and a counter jungler (eve) with two smites between them. Why would you ever consider NOT running smite as a jungler? Eve wants to thank you in advance for the FB and your jungle.

bloodchow

12-21-2010

1. smite can KS your team mate
2. smite can KS your enemy Baron, Red or Blue and pendragon
3. smite can let u complete your jungling round faster
4. smite can help push
5. smite has 75 sec cd
6. smite can insta - KO enemy melee minion and granting u 23 gold + 5 gold
7. smite icon looks like ignite

boonkilla

12-21-2010

id love for you to do this if i were on the other team jungling because i wuld smite steal you everytime

Rawrful

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-21-2010

Actually, you all forgot another reason for smiting at the end. If the enemy comes to gank you and you started with smite, your entire jungle just got incredibly screwed. Why? No matter who it is that comes to gank you, you need to drop your camp aggro. If you smote first, now your smite is on CD and you got nothing from it.

If you saved your smite, you lost the damage you had done to the camp, but you still have your smite so you can keep jungling.

Alex Pan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-21-2010

1. If you have to leave, you've wasted smite
2. You base your route around the average time it takes for smite to come up anyway
3. Always smiting at the start is the exact same in terms of time as always smiting at the end