[Guide] Tryndamere, Rage King

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Gouki

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-20-2010

Tryndamere, Rage King

There are those who choose not to live in one of the great city-states of Valoran. Instead, they live their lives in small villages or nomadic tribes. There are most certainly perils in these untamed lands, but there are also great freedoms that come from being removed from the politics of Runeterra. Tryndamere was born a member of one of these nomadic tribes, a large child of surprising strength. One year, as his clan moved south between the Howling Marsh and the Ironspike Mountains, they came across strangers in black garb. The elder went out to speak with them, but they cut him down mercilessly. They then began the slaughter of every man, woman, and child in the clan. Tryndamere, the sole survivor, hid under the dead bodies of his parents, swearing vengeance on those who took his people from him - the assassins of Noxus. He has since joined the League of Legends to bring honor to the memory of his people and to slake his rage on the champions of his hated foes.

''Beware of Tryndamere! His sword appeases the hunger of the soul-devouring dead.''

Introduction

Tryndamere is the barbarian king that is built as a melee ad carry. He is most notable for his high critical strike chance and dominating the late game area. Although I am writing this guide to teach people how to play Tryndamere, you can also read this guide to find out his weaknesses.

Pros & Cons

Pros :
High critical strike chance/damage
Good at escaping/initiating (Spinning Slash)
Slow/debuff (Mocking Shout)
Bloodlust allows you to farm/stay in lane longer
No Mana Usage

Cons :
Not very high life (Remember you are a carry not a tank)
Tends to be focused on
Susceptible to CC and various slows
Item dependant

Skills

Battle Fury
Tryndamere's Critical Strike chance increases as he becomes more wounded.

A really good passive and lethal in 1v1 fights. Basically this means that the lower the hp is on Tryndamere the higher his chance to critical hit you.

Bloodlust
Tryndamere thrives on the thrills of combat. Whenever Tryndamere kills a unit or critically strikes, he temporarily gains increased attack damage and critical damage.

Spell Summary
Passive: Whenever Tryndamere kills or critically strikes a unit, he gains 3 Attack Damage and 1.5-4.5% Critical Damage for 15 seconds (stackable 8 times). Killing a unit or critically striking while not Bloodlusted applies 2 stacks instead of 1.

Active: Tryndamere consumes his Bloodlusts, restoring 10-50 health per Bloodlust (+1.5 per ability power).

This is the bread and butter of Tryndamere. When Tryndamere critical strikes someone, he gets 1 stack on bloodlust. Each bloodlust is a instant heal and grants extra damage and critical damage if stacked. Always start the game with 1 point in bloodlust.
Skill Priority - Second

Mocking Shout
Tryndamere lets out an insulting cry, decreasing surrounding champions' physical damage. Enemies with their backs turned to Tryndamere also have their movement speed slowed.

Spell Summary
Decreases surrounding champions' physical damage by 20-100, and enemies with their backs turned also have their movement speed slowed by 30-60%.
Lasts 4 seconds.

Your slow and debuff helps catch runners or turns the tide in your favor in 1v1. Remember if someones back is facing you it slows that champion by 30-60%. You can also use this skill to detect stealth champs like Eve or Twitch. When they are nearby your mocking shout should become bright since it can only be activated if a enemy is nearby. Place 1 point here early and max last.
Skill Priority - Third

Spinning Slash
Tryndamere slices toward a target unit, dealing damage to enemies in his path.

Spell Summary
Tryndamere spins through his enemies, dealing 40-240 (1 per ability power+0.5 per physical attack damage) magic damage to enemies in his path.

Passive: Slash's cooldown is reduced by 2 sec whenever Tryndamere critically strikes.

Spinning attack used for catching runners or escaping. You can use this skill to spin through walls for escapes/initiations.
Skill Priority - Fourth

Undying Rage
Tryndamere's lust for battle becomes so strong that he is unable to die, no matter how wounded he becomes.

Spell Summary
Tryndamere becomes completely immune to death for 6 seconds, refusing to be reduced below 1 health. His abilities have no cost during this time and he gains 4-8 Bloodlust stacks

Tryndamere players love it, and others loathe this skill. What it does is for 6 whole seconds Tryndamere's life will not go under 0 and it will automatically grant him blood stacks. Tower diving is so easy now.
Skill Priority - First

Masteries & Runes

Masteries

21/0/9
Why 21/0/9 you ask? Tryndamere relies heavily on his critical strike chance and damage. Let's just say that the more critical strikes that Tryndamere delivers the more heal he gets. We do not want any points in defense tree because Tryndamere is a melee carry.

Runes

Now theres 2 ways you can build his rune page but they're both fine

Critcal Chance Page -
Mark - 9x Greater Mark of Malice (+0.93% critical chance)
Seals - 9x Greater Seal of Malice (+0.42% critical chance)
Glyphs - 9x Greater Glyph of Malice (+0.28% critical chance)
Quintessences - 3x Greater Quintessence of Malice (+1.86% critical chance)

Total Stats: +20.25% critical chance
Cost: 14145 IP
Evaluation: This means 1/6 attacks will be a critical strike which is extremely good without masteries and items included.

Critcal Chance/ Armor Penetration Page -
Mark - 9x Greater Mark of Desolation (+1.66 armor penetration)
Seals - 9x Greater Seal of Malice (+0.42% critical chance)
Glyphs - 9x Greater Glyph of Malice (+0.28% critical chance)
Quintessences - 3x Greater Quintessence of Malice (+1.86% critical chance)

Total Stats: +11.88% critical chance, 15 Armor penetration
Cost: 14145 IP
Evaluation: Trading roughly 8% critical chance for 15 armor penetration. This helps Tryndamere's early game.

Recommendation; I would have to go with the 2nd option. One of Tryndamere's key aspect is to have a good early game. By the time you finish my build you will have 100% critical chance regardless.

Summoner Spells
Tryndamere can run a certain number of spells but 1 spell is a must have

Cleanse - This is a must have you will be slowed, taunted, feared, etc and you need to stop all of it.
Ghost - Helps you catch up to runners or close in distance Also used for escape.
Flash - Same as above but I see it more of a escape tool for Tryndamere.
Exhaust - Slows enemies down or give you an edge in 1v1.
Teleport - Helps push struggling lanes
Ignite - Great for finishing off runners or those with passive heals

Recommendation: Cleanse + Ghost

Items/Builds

Starting Item
Brawlers Glove (+8% Critical Strike)
2x Health Potion

Core Build
Zeal (+20% Attack Speed +10% Critical Strike +8% Movement Speed)
Situational Boots
Infinity Edge (+80 Attack Damage +20% Critical Strike UNIQUE Passive: Critical hits now deal 250% damage instead of 200%.)

Situational boots are either berserker greaves or mercury treads

Mid Game
Youmuu's Ghostblade (+30 Attack Damage +15% Critical Chance UNIQUE Passive: +20 Armor Penetration 15% Cooldown Reduction Unique Active: You gain +20% movespeed and +50% attack speed for 4 seconds. Attacking enemy units with melee attacks increases the duration by 2 to a maximum of 8 seconds. 60 second cooldown.)
Phantom Dancer (+50% Attack Speed +30% Critical Strike +15% Movement Speed)

Late Game
Second Phantom Dancer (+50% Attack Speed +30% Critical Strike +15% Movement Speed)
The Bloodthirster (+60 Attack Damage +15% Lifesteal Passive: Gain an additional 1 Physical Damage and 0.25% Lifesteal per kill. Maximum of +40 Damage and 10% Lifesteal. Bonuses are lost upon death.)

Optional Items
Last Whisper (+40 Attack Damage UNIQUE Passive: Attacks penetrate 40% of the defender's armor.)
Quicksilver Sash (+48 Magic Resistance Active: Removies all debuffs from your character. 105 second cooldown.)

Evaluation: With even the armor penetration marks you'll reach 100% critical chance with this setup. Your base attack damage is 117 and with this item setup you will receive an additional 219 attack damage. You can also swap out the youmuus ghostblade for a last whisper if the enemy team is packing some high armor. Don't forget to drink the fortitude and agility elixirs when the build is done. You'll be guaranteed to hit for 1k-2k every time 100% when the build is finished.

Leveling/Laning

Levels 1-5
This is Tryndameres weakest stage. Basically you do not want to play aggressive at level 1-5 you do not have endless rage and your bloodlust is not maxed yet. There are situations where the enemies are overly aggressive and you can punish them for that.

Levels 6
Level 6 and onward is the signal to enemies that they should back off because now you're a killing machine. Once you get your zeal and berserker greaves you can head on into the jungles to grab buffs/dragons

Mid Game
You're almost there, by now you should have your core build and you should be hitting 500 dmg each critical hit at MINIMUM. Proceed to finish mid game items.

Late Game (40min +)
Welcome to late game everyone is now in your domain. 1v1? impossible to win vs Tryndamere. Towers are jokes now and the enemies will do everything they can to
A) Disable You
B) Avoid You
All in all a Tryndamere in late game means you 80-90% of the time are going to win.

How to Play Tryndamere
NEVER initiate a team fight you are not the tank. Instead hide in a bush or behind a wall, once fight has started watch for the ranged, dps, casters, carrys and spin in aiming for them. Remember your job is to take out the squishies. With your surprise entrance the enemies will either
A) Focus on you (lets your team mop enemy up)
B) Scatter (chase them down they're your prey)

Use Spinning Slash (E) to initiate.
Use Mocking Shout (W) to slow/debuff
Auto Attack/Critical Hit
Continue
Use Spinning Slash (E) to catch runners
Activate ultimate when low on life
Activate cleanse against CC
Spin through walls to escape

Remember to always analyze the situation a 1:1 is not a good trade.

Laning Partners
Any champs that can slow or stun is your best friend. It helps stop enemies so you can hit them much easier with your auto attacks. Generally I don't really like healers on my lane because it messes with your critical chance but it does save your life.

Ending Thoughts
Overall Tryndamere is a pretty decent solo queue champ. I wouldn't really recommend him in competitive matches such as draft mode since he is easy to counter when expected.

Rate and Comment Appreciated.

Gouki

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-20-2010

bump

ZeaIot

Recruiter

12-20-2010

good guide. helped me with my rune selection

DotAliscious

12-20-2010

There are lots of Tryndamere guides out there, and sadly this one just isn't up to par. First off, you have your skill priority wrong. You only need 1 point in spin. Mocking Shout is considerably better than spin. You forget that it reduces attack damage, and it's fairly high. Spin works well for the new players, but for those a bit more mature... 'the chicken shout' is way better. Plus, it's more team battle friendly. After the very beginning you should be in small team fights regularly.

Second, crit chance is the easiest and cheapest thing to get for Tryndamere. Crit damage runes are better, but I prefer armor pen marks to crit damage. It's only in the late game that crit damage out-perform armor penetration, and I think we can agree that late-game Tryndamere does no shortage of damage.

Third... forget cleanse. Using flash and spin alone should be enough to get you out of most situations. I typically only die once or twice when I pick up flash with Tryndamere. Also, there are plenty of games where Mercury treads give me enough resistance that I don't need cleanse.

Fourth, there is no point for 100% crit chance. I used to pick up a phantom dancer late game because of the MS + IAS + Dodge, and the crit chance was just nice. Now that dodge is gone I think that there are better items out there. I'd say that one might be okay, but two is completely unneccesary. You'll actually do more dps picking up another damage item. Try it if you don't believe me.

Fifth... Berzerkers greaves are pointless. Getting Tabi's is almost always better. Think about it... EVERYONE attacks tryn. The armor and dodge go a long way vs other DPS heros in the mid-game.

Sixth... well, I'll stop here. I think you get the point.

All that being said, I think this is a decent way to go if you are starting out, but then obviously the runes aren't that important. Trynd isn't a top tier champion, but I've seen a few top tier players use him on occasion, and they never build this way. I know this post sounds harsh, but I don't mean for it to be. I mean it in everyone's best interest.

Redenbacher

12-20-2010

Are all the crit chance marks necessary to do well with Tryndamere? I'd like to use him, but I don't want to invest a rune page in crit chance runes just to do anything useful. I have a standard armor penetration page that uses flat HP Quints/seals (which should help early-game), ArPen marks, and MR or CDR Glyphs. This is functional for multiple champions, rather than a full crit page.

Shadowmere

12-20-2010

Going with normal runes (armor seals, mres glyphs and flat HP quints) and adding crit% chance on marks is fine. You'll crit 10% less time, but you'll have way more survivability, which imo is more important. Quite often, you'll have to use your ult abotu when you reach a squishy. Having more survivability enables you to use it a bit further, and it complements well the bloodlust (450 hp heal is good, 450 hp heal when you have more armor and mres is way better). Overall, I believe crit chance are the best way to go, but unless you're a fervent tryndamere player you won't really need them.

Gouki

12-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotAliscious View Post
There are lots of Tryndamere guides out there, and sadly this one just isn't up to par. First off, you have your skill priority wrong. You only need 1 point in spin. Mocking Shout is considerably better than spin. You forget that it reduces attack damage, and it's fairly high. Spin works well for the new players, but for those a bit more mature... 'the chicken shout' is way better. Plus, it's more team battle friendly. After the very beginning you should be in small team fights regularly.

Second, crit chance is the easiest and cheapest thing to get for Tryndamere. Crit damage runes are better, but I prefer armor pen marks to crit damage. It's only in the late game that crit damage out-perform armor penetration, and I think we can agree that late-game Tryndamere does no shortage of damage.

Third... forget cleanse. Using flash and spin alone should be enough to get you out of most situations. I typically only die once or twice when I pick up flash with Tryndamere. Also, there are plenty of games where Mercury treads give me enough resistance that I don't need cleanse.

Fourth, there is no point for 100% crit chance. I used to pick up a phantom dancer late game because of the MS + IAS + Dodge, and the crit chance was just nice. Now that dodge is gone I think that there are better items out there. I'd say that one might be okay, but two is completely unneccesary. You'll actually do more dps picking up another damage item. Try it if you don't believe me.

Fifth... Berzerkers greaves are pointless. Getting Tabi's is almost always better. Think about it... EVERYONE attacks tryn. The armor and dodge go a long way vs other DPS heros in the mid-game.

Sixth... well, I'll stop here. I think you get the point.

All that being said, I think this is a decent way to go if you are starting out, but then obviously the runes aren't that important. Trynd isn't a top tier champion, but I've seen a few top tier players use him on occasion, and they never build this way. I know this post sounds harsh, but I don't mean for it to be. I mean it in everyone's best interest.
First - I can see your point of view and i will put the edits for it for both ways I see myself dishing as much damage as possible but your input makes more sense to me now.

Second - I mean crit damage is not bad but by late game you'll be doing like 1k-2k so you won't need more and for early game i want my crit chance as high as possible.

Third - I don't know sometimes cleanse just helps me when lets say i need to chase someone too but flash and spin is helpful i guess but flash i would put that as probably 2nd spell.

Fourth - I wanted to make sure i had 100% crit even at full health and also i got the attack speed with it which is a bonus and great on Tryndamere.

Fifth - Again I like attack speed on Tryndamere dishes out his crits quick and tabis arent bad but just not my cup of tea. I use mercury treads instead of greaves.

Overall i see from where you're coming from

Gouki

12-20-2010

up

Gouki

12-21-2010

bump

Fall IV

12-21-2010

i love playing tryn and i agree with chicken shout over spin priority. I'd also add that i like having my ult at rank 1, works better for me.

also instead of going bloodthirster i go vampiric scepter only and then i go after black cleaver, then ghostblade.

also i use crit runes except for blues - cdr there.

this works good for me - but tryn is pretty hard to play so almost everything on him is personal choice imo - fits ur playing style

regards

note: high crit chance early game lets u farm like crazy so i'm not the fan of crit dmg, armor pene runes